News 2015 Saints Media Thread (please use player threads for player-specific news/articles)

Remove this Banner Ad

To say that we won't win a game is obviously worst case scenario. I think there's every chance it won't happen. But its a possibility. And ill be stunned if we win more than 4. Ill also be fairly surprised if we dont take out the spoon.

Yeah - the 2012 draft particularly seems to have netted us some soldiers, but no stars as yet. But players evolve, and hopefully in a couple of years we've all been plesently surprised to see a few of our soldiers bevome A graders.

To say that we won't win a game is obviously worst case scenario. I think there's every chance it won't happen. But its a possibility. And ill be stunned if we win more than 4. Ill also be fairly surprised if we dont take out the spoon.

Yeah - the 2012 draft particularly seems to have netted us some soldiers, but no stars as yet. But players evolve, and hopefully in a couple of years we've all been plesently surprised to see a few of our soldiers bevome A graders.
I think this is AR's message though...that Port Adelaide literally stunned the footy world with the speed of their transition back from a bottom side to a top side. What is important is not trying to achieve the end result...but achieving the short term goals that stacked on top of each other lead us toward the desired result!
Saints are well on their way, make no mistake. A developing list. A hardworking administration. A supporter base that is starting to stir. If the players stick fat, and continue to work hard, and if we can duplicate our efforts at the draft this year, then I am sure our free agency woes will swing around in our favour and we will begin to challenge.

Did anyone catch the Round Table discussion on Fox Footy tonight?

It painted a pretty bleak, but accurate picture of where we are.

"There hasnt been a more certain wooden spoon candidate for a long time" was one of many discouraging statements made.

Ultimately though, I havent felt as positive about the overall direction that our club is traveling in, in a long time, maybe ever.

So this must be what ground zero feels like.

Everybody assumes that none of our younger players will actually improve, and nobody remembers how good our older and mid-tier players are when fit. If some of the kids kick on and become superstars, then it might not be so bad. I'm not saying we'll win the flag or anything, but saying we're deadset certs in March to have the spoon in September sounds potentially very myopic.

I watched it to, to say we aren't a chance of winning 1 game, I repeat 1 game is a bit rough.

Did agree with the part about to many soldiers and not enough A graders, but if we had more A graders we wouldnt be bottom of ladder.

And to say dunstan is only a soldier was a joke!

I think this is AR's message though...that Port Adelaide literally stunned the footy world with the speed of their transition back from a bottom side to a top side. What is important is not trying to achieve the end result...but achieving the short term goals that stacked on top of each other lead us toward the desired result!
Saints are well on their way, make no mistake. A developing list. A hardworking administration. A supporter base that is starting to stir. If the players stick fat, and continue to work hard, and if we can duplicate our efforts at the draft this year, then I am sure our free agency woes will swing around in our favour and we will begin to challenge.
Dermie was scathing. His assessment sees only three A graders at the club, (ignoring Riewoldt). He painted the club in a harsh light with regard to the drafting of KPP's (McCartin and Goddard) and not midfielders. Implied, or rather flat out stated that we planned to finish last this year in order to pick up the best Mid from next year's draft. As if the drafting of mids last year would have made a difference to our table position in 2015. :rolleyes:
We simply drafted the players that we need to make our club the strongest it can be. Don't let his judgemental attitude detract from that fact. He may scoff, but his petulance reeks more of him lashing out at the club that burned his mate (Scott Watters) than a genuine criticism of our drafting priorities. His match commentary especially regarding McCartin was an exercise in editorialism rather than describing the action. Hopefully time and St Kilda's improvement will temper his attitude and we will receive less poor press from him.

Dermie was scathing. His assessment sees only three A graders at the club, (ignoring Riewoldt). He painted the club in a harsh light with regard to the drafting of KPP's (McCartin and Goddard) and not midfielders. Implied, or rather flat out stated that we planned to finish last this year in order to pick up the best Mid from next year's draft. As if the drafting of mids last year would have made a difference to our table position in 2015. :rolleyes:
We simply drafted the players that we need to make our club the strongest it can be. Don't let his judgemental attitude detract from that fact. He may scoff, but his petulance reeks more of him lashing out at the club that burned his mate (Scott Watters) than a genuine criticism of our drafting priorities. His match commentary especially regarding McCartin was an exercise in editorialism rather than describing the action. Hopefully time and St Kilda's improvement will temper his attitude and we will receive less poor press from him.

Melbourne drafted a mid with their first pick. Obviously Petracca will stop them from bottoming out.

I don't know if it was how Dermie intended his assessment to sound, but I perceived disdain in the way he spoke about the Saints opting for McCartin this draft. (as he sees it) St Kilda planned to finish last and pick up the best mid in the next draft. The unspoken slur of tanking. I admit that our midfield depth is not up to par - and yes we will pick up a shiny new star next draft, but we have spent a decade in the top half of the ladder, and drafted poorly during the latter part of that era. We recognised the errors of our past and have set about correcting the issues with a gap in player ages and lack of youthful talent. Our list was described as mainly "soldiers" but there is plenty of true talent there. It is way too easy for punters to see the Hawks Saints match and despair for our club's future. A fully loaded mature premiership squad against an injury riddled inexperienced wooden spoon squad. It was an unfortunate advertisement for our club at a time when we are searching for members to sign up, but it was not a true reflection of where we are at. Our kids simply need more games under their belts. We will know we are getting better when we become more consistent, with fewer blowouts, and the kids are playing so well that the senior players are pushed out.

Intending is a poor word for it I think. We are there trying to put games into kids and trying different positions and gameplans out. This by its very nature is not conductive to winning. Richo could have selected a "best 25" and drilled the * out of them with a gameplan until they were good enough to win 5 or 6 games.. but then whats the point?

You do your best to develop your players without compromising your draft position, but this is a far cry from tanking which is legitimately attempting to lose games.

Just watched the segment.

Perhaps I do put too much faith in Dunstal here but he didnt look like he agreed with Bereton at all. He knows how good Dunstan is going to be and is a bit taken back by Bereton's response there.

Also Delaney will apparently be cooked in 4 years at the tender age of 29.

Last edited:
I'd change quite a lot about that article

Summer standout – Jack Newnes

Fantasy cash cow – Ahmed Saad

Sudden impact – Sam Fisher (post injury)/Jack Lonie

It's crunch time for … Tom Lee

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I'd change quite a lot about that article

Summer standout – Jack Newnes

Fantasy cash cow – Ahmed Saad

Sudden impact – Sam Fisher (post injury)/Jack Lonie

It's crunch time for … Tom Lee
Should change Saad to Lonie ;)

I don't know if it was how Dermie intended his assessment to sound, but I perceived disdain in the way he spoke about the Saints opting for McCartin this draft. (as he sees it) St Kilda planned to finish last and pick up the best mid in the next draft. The unspoken slur of tanking. I admit that our midfield depth is not up to par - and yes we will pick up a shiny new star next draft, but we have spent a decade in the top half of the ladder, and drafted poorly during the latter part of that era. We recognised the errors of our past and have set about correcting the issues with a gap in player ages and lack of youthful talent. Our list was described as mainly "soldiers" but there is plenty of true talent there. It is way too easy for punters to see the Hawks Saints match and despair for our club's future. A fully loaded mature premiership squad against an injury riddled inexperienced wooden spoon squad. It was an unfortunate advertisement for our club at a time when we are searching for members to sign up, but it was not a true reflection of where we are at. Our kids simply need more games under their belts. We will know we are getting better when we become more consistent, with fewer blowouts, and the kids are playing so well that the senior players are pushed out.

The one thing that EVERYONE who knows about footy has said for ages, is "Talls take longer to develop" obviously Dermie missed this bit of wisdom, or is so dismal at mathematics that he doesn't realize you need that tall onto your list. Yeah you could draft Quentin Lynch but that wont get you there will it?

As for Dunstan , i'm pretty sure i could find 100 game players who are yet to play a game to match Dunstan's effort against West Coast.

Jack Newnes not starting and Dylan Roberton an automatic selection given a fully fit list are interesting decisions as well.

Don't mistake the bench with meaning anything. Midfield rotations are important , and ultimately it makes no difference who is named. I'd be going for Roberton too, though he'll need to keep an eye on Goddard.

Sav will not be sub if all of Curran , Templeton and Wright are in the mix.

They have obviously ignored rookies, but its pretty obvious some of StKilda's rookies will be elevated.

https://twitter.com/stkildafc?origi...ge-15&tw_i=582352073770950657&tw_p=tweetembed

Danny Sexton and Matt Finnis press conference. https://audioboom.com/boos/3036183-danny-sexton-and-matt-finnis-press-conference… via @audioBoom

audioBoom

Play
proxy.jpg

Let's try that again. :)

Burkey was on Jezza You Beauty on SEN today reminiscing about his career. He was very open. Absolutely potted Malcolm Blight and said it was the right thing to sack him. I don't think I've heard a player from that era be so blunt as that. He talked about not seeing Blighty for an entire week before their game in Brissie - they rocked into the change rooms and there he was. He was pretty frank about Tim Watson as well.

Anyway, it's well worth a listen. You can click on the link here: http://www.sen.com.au/programs/harf-time

Burkey was on Jezza You Beauty on SEN today reminiscing about his career. He was very open. Absolutely potted Malcolm Blight and said it was the right thing to sack him. I don't think I've heard a player from that era be so blunt as that. He talked about not seeing Blighty for an entire week before their game in Brissie - they rocked into the change rooms and there he was. He was pretty frank about Tim Watson as well.

Anyway, it's well worth a listen. You can click on the link here: http://www.sen.com.au/programs/harf-time

interesting comments on his mates harves. more evidence for me to suggest he just wont make it as a senior coach

Remove this Banner Ad

Back