News Thomas and Keefe - 2 year ban - Trade, De-List, Rookie

Remove this Banner Ad

I'd like to commend all the Pies supporters here for their Zero Tolerance approach where PEDs are concerned. :thumbsu:
Frankly, after the way Essendon Supporters have handled their saga, there simply isn't any other way. Thanks for the comment mate.

Yes but what might have been a short term stint down back to develop may end up having to be a longer term need due to loss of Keefe and injury concerns of Reid. Our lack of height down back is now a real concern.

Maybe. My view is that they'd rather lose every game in the VFL by playing 1 or even 0 proper key defenders if it was going to better develop Moore for the senior side. At least that's how it should be IMO.

That was my immediate thought. The U.S. and Mexico are popular destinations for players in the offseason.

As much as I want them punished if guilty, I'm uncomfortable labeling them as cheats before all the details are revealed.
It depends when the test was. Clenbuterol isn't a long lasting drug to stay in your system. So for that to happen they would of had to be tested during that week they were away. If they had the meat in October or whenever they were overseas. It wouldn't of been in their system come NAB1 or Jan. The two time periods being thrown around.

Official statement from the AFL;

CBUPD3DWEAE4uRI.jpg

Have they travelled to China or Mexico recently? Meat in these countries is known to contain this. Cyclist Michael Rogers was done for clenbuterol not that long ago and got off due to eating meat in China. Alberto Contador also, I believe.

Hmmmm 100 Mexican footballers tested positive to Clen in 2011 thanks to the farming practices in that country. The meat can apparently contain the drug as a result. JT was definitely holidaying in Los Angeles this preseason. It is foreseeable I suppose that he stopped by Mexico on the way.

Seems like it would have to be a pretty bizarre turn of events though, unlikely to be true. Occam's razor and all that.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Hmmmm 100 Mexican footballers tested positive to Clen in 2011 thanks to the farming practices in that country. The meat can apparently contain the drug as a result. JT was definitely holidaying in Los Angeles this preseason. It is foreseeable I suppose that he stopped by Mexico on the way.

Seems like it would have to be a pretty bizarre turn of events though, unlikely to be true. Occam's razor and all that.
I give it no chance that, that is the case. Clenbuterol is not a drug that stays in your system for long. If they ate meat in the pre season, it's not in the system by Feb 10th.

It depends when the test was. Clenbuterol isn't a long lasting drug to stay in your system. So for that to happen they would of had to be tested during that week they were away. If they had the meat in October or whenever they were overseas. It wouldn't of been in their system come NAB1 or Jan. The two time periods being thrown around.
Has it been reported that the tests were from January?
I'm racking my brain here, there is just something really odd about this whole thing...

Edit: just read the statement. February... Wtf...

I'd like to commend all the Pies supporters here for their Zero Tolerance approach where PEDs are concerned. :thumbsu:

That was my immediate thought. The U.S. and Mexico are popular destinations for players in the offseason.

As much as I want them punished if guilty, I'm uncomfortable labeling them as cheats before all the details are revealed.

Apex summed it up for me smoking gun. If they were trying to cheat, see ya later, maybe they can try their luck at Essendon. If it was an honest mistake Id actually like to see us support them in some way, even though they would still have to be delisted

If they went to Mexico over break, fair enough.

Otherwise, I want them both sacked. We at collingwood don't cheat, we take ever fair advantage possible but our success comes from hard work, Thomas and Keeffe want short cuts they can leave.

Looking back at Keeffe's tweets he was in the US with Josh Thomas. Maybe a link?

Starting to think this is a mexican meat thing now. They'll still be sacked, but it could turn out to be a stupid unfortunate mistake.

I hate to say this but questions need to be asked about the environment at the club. Whilst the players may have acted independently they are still heavily influenced by the expectations of the coaches. I want the club to explain how two professional athletes can be so stupid, and what they are going to do to prevent this in the future. It is simply not good enough.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back