Cricket Discussion - Part 1

Status
Not open for further replies.
Other thing is Smith can bowl spin, be started his first class career as a leg spinner all rounder, not a batting all rounder and Clarke can bowl spin if you want a bit of variety. Of course you go for a spinner on a spinning wicket eg Sydney, most wickets in India etc.

Mar 1, 2014
People's Republic of Onkaparinga
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Other Teams
Cronulla Sutherland Sharks
Australia will always pick a front line spinner and it has nothing to do with ability. You have to have someone to bowl long spells into the wind . If you rely on four pace men supported by part timers you will find the pacemen burn out quickly. Very rarely has Australia used an all pace attack in Australia and in most cases that was on the bouncier Perth wicket. Those twenty or so overs from a spinner are pretty valuable. Having a front line spinner also adds some variety to the attack and forces batsmen to change their method of attack.

The other issue is that Nathan Lyon is in the best form in his career. In the recent series against India he took 24 wickets at 34.00 against players who are raised on off spin.

The Windies got away with four quicks for years but only because their quicks were all pretty good. They also used Viv Richards and in his early years Clive Lloyd as support.

Smith is a bit like Michael Clarke and Steve Waugh before him, both could bowl but they concentrated on their batting. I say do not tempt fate, leave Smith where he is and let him bat.

All Australia has to do in the short term is find a player to bat at No3. Watson is not playing as an all rounder in the Test matches, he is playing as a batsman so he is in line for the chop providing we can find someone to take on the no3 role. Maybe Sean Marsh is that player or maybe Joe Burns will step up just as David Boon twenty years ago?

Last edited:
Aug 22, 2011
Adelaide
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Other thing is Smith can bowl spin, be started his first class career as a leg spinner all rounder, not a batting all rounder and Clarke can bowl spin if you want a bit of variety. Of course you go for a spinner on a spinning wicket eg Sydney, most wickets in India etc.
I think we'll see Maxwell in the test team sooner rather than later so there could be another spin option, I can't wait until we phase Watto out for Faulkner who's a much better allrounder than he is.

Lyon needs to continue to improve because he has stagnated & got a little comfortable since his move back to Sydney, hopefully Zampa comes on in leaps in & bounds because he could be a better spinner than Lyon & can score runs.

Certainly not forgetting the old warhorse. Why I said "new breed". Starc, Pattinson (1990), Hazelwood (1991), Cummins (1993) are all babies as far as fast bowlers are concerned. Our fast bowling stocks are very healthy.

Bowlers win cricket games.
I thought catches win matches ;)

Mar 1, 2014
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Other Teams
I think we'll see Maxwell in the test team sooner rather than later so there could be another spin option, I can't wait until we phase Watto out for Faulkner who's a much better allrounder than he is.

Lyon needs to continue to improve because he has stagnated & got a little comfortable since his move back to Sydney, hopefully Zampa comes on in leaps in & bounds because he could be a better spinner than Lyon & can score runs.

The selectors seem to think Mitchell Marsh is worth a go as the new all rounder.

You are right Seany, Nathan Lyon needs to develop more variety and continue to improve and it would be good to see Zampa get a go but I think Cameron Boyce from Queensland and Ashton Agar from WA have more currency than Zampa atm. Boyce is a leg spinner and Agar destroyed the Redbacks and took over 30 wickets in the last shield season. On top of that Agar can bat a bit. The selectors will stick with Lyon for now but both Boyce and Agar are long term prospects.

ozph1870

Brownlow Medallist
Mar 3, 2014
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Other Teams
dallas cowboys ferrari f1

maxwell should never get near the test side ever again.

Phhht

Norm Smith Medallist
Mar 15, 2007
Adelaide
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
I wondered whether anyone in the non-cricketing world would notice yesterday's game. Struck gold on the first US newspaper site I looked at. Good article IMO, Rising from wreckage, Australia sweeps to World Cup title.

Its a little interesting that the article was run in the NYT but stuff like

"New Zealand confirmed itself once again, like Australia in Rugby Union and the Netherlands in soccer, as the sport’s pound-for-pound champion, maximizing limited resources by intelligence and innovation."

lets the article down a bit.

NZ would have to actually win something first to be confirmed as 'the sport's pound-for-pound champion'. If the reference was in regards to NZ and RU then no doubt but cricket?

Mar 1, 2014
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Other Teams
Its a little interesting that the article was run in the NYT but stuff like

"New Zealand confirmed itself once again, like Australia in Rugby Union and the Netherlands in soccer, as the sport’s pound-for-pound champion, maximizing limited resources by intelligence and innovation."

lets the article down a bit.

NZ would have to actually win something first to be confirmed as 'the sport's pound-for-pound champion'. If the reference was in regards to NZ and RU then no doubt but cricket?

Yes, the article pumps up the Kiwis tyres a bit. Also I am not sure that the Champions Trophy has ever been regarded as a benchmark. Australia had held a no1 or 2 ODI ranking for a fair time so to say we 'rose from the wreckage' to take this World Cup is a bit of an over statement. We were the bookies favourites well out from the event.

If it was written by the Huw Richards I am thinking of he is a former welsh Rugby Union International and would have a bit of respect for the All Blacks achievements in that code.

BIG MATTY WHITE

Premiership Player
Sep 17, 2013
sydney2newzealand
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
The test side will change i can even see rogers going

Warner
Shaun Marsh/rogers
Smith
Clarke/Voges
watson/faulkner/voges/mitch marsh
maxwell/lyon/mitch marsh
haddin
harris/lyon
johnson
starc
hazelwood

Still laughing ant bear?....

Looks like he is in for the test squad
Is he replacing Clarke?:D
Voges deserves it, he has had a remarkably consistent Sheffield Shield season.
Don't take it personally BMW:rainbow:

Edit: Where has this squad been announced? Not on CA website

Mar 1, 2014
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Other Teams
Glenn Maxwell's batting is more impressive than his bowling. At first class level he has a batting average of 40.39 in 31 matches. His bowling is less impressive as he has 45 wickets at 39.51. Most of the candidates for a middle order batting slot in the Test side do not have a 40+ batting average. I am not sure that Maxwell's bowling is up to Test standard as a front line spinner but his improved batting at ODI level has impressed me.

Perhaps Maxwell will follow the path walked by Alan Border and Steve Waugh as they both came to Test cricket as all rounders but developed into batting greats. I guess Steve Smith who first played as a leg spinner is another to develop one aspect of his cricket. Twelve months ago many of us, myself included, were s**t canning Maxwell as a player who promised a lot but delivered little and that criticism was often justified. In recent times though Maxwell has repaid the selectors faith in him at ODI level. As Ant Bear posts Maxwell is not a no3 Test player at this point but he could slot into the no6 spot and add some variety to the attack. A pity he bowls right arm off spin because if he was a left armer he would compliment Nathan Lyon.

The reality is that the selectors like Shane Watson and he will probably get the nod for the West Indies but Maxwell, Mitchell Marsh and James Faulkner must surely have big claims on Watson's spot.

BIG MATTY WHITE

Premiership Player
Sep 17, 2013
sydney2newzealand
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Is he replacing Clarke?:D
Voges deserves it, he has had a remarkably consistent Sheffield Shield season.
Don't take it personally BMW:rainbow:

On perth news...he is a perth lad you know;)

It wasnt serious comments btw...its hard to produce a sarcastic light hearted jab on here

Mar 1, 2014
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Other Teams

The Australian tour of the West Indies does not start until May 30th. In the meantime most of the Aussie contenders will play in the IPL and the West Indies will play England. On that basis the announcement of a squad is probably several weeks away.

Hazlewood, Starc, Cummins, Faulkner and Johnson are all playing in the IPL so hopefully none of these guys is injured. Obviously serious contenders like Ryan Harris, Michael Clarke, James Pattinson and Mitchell Marsh are not playing IPL to preserve their bodies for the West Indies and England.

Mar 17, 2014
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Cricket Australia contracted players: George Bailey, Michael Clarke , Patrick Cummins, Aaron Finch, James Faulkner, Brad Haddin, Ryan Harris, Josh Hazlewood, Mitchell Johnson, Nathan Lyon, Mitchell Marsh, Shaun Marsh, Glenn Maxwell, James Pattinson, Chris Rogers, Mitchell Starc, Steve Smith, David Warner, Shane Watson.

9 from NSW, 4 Vic, 3 WA, 2 Tas, 1 Qld. Keep up the good work SACA.

Squads announced a short time ago:

Australia's Frank Worrell Trophy/Ashes squad: Michael Clarke (c), Steve Smith (vc), Fawad Ahmed, Brad Haddin, Ryan Harris (Ashes only), Josh Hazlewood, Mitchell Johnson, Nathan Lyon, Mitchell Marsh, Shaun Marsh, Peter Nevill, Chris Rogers, Peter Siddle, Mitchell Starc, Adam Voges, David Warner, Shane Watson

Australia A four-day squad (India): Usman Khawaja (c), Matthew Wade (vc), Ashton Agar, Cameron Bancroft, Joe Burns, Patrick Cummins, Andrew Fekete, Peter Handscomb, Travis Head, Nic Maddinson, Glenn Maxwell, Stephen O'Keefe, Gurinder Sandhu, Marcus Stoinis.

Australia A one-day squad (India): Usman Khawaja (c), Matthew Wade (vc), Sean Abbott, Ashton Agar, Cameron Boyce, Joe Burns, Nathan Coulter-Nile, Patrick Cummins, Callum Ferguson, Peter Handscomb, Travis Head, Chris Lynn, Gurinder Sandhu, Adam Zampa.

Last edited:
Surprised at no maxwell...

They rolled the dice on warner
And the Joe Burns experiment didn't last long. Still - looks a pretty strong squad: I'm sure the boys will give the Windies and Poms plenty of grief.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back