Collingwood’s Josh Thomas, Lachie Keeffe accept two-year bans for taking banned drug clenbuterol

Remove this Banner Ad

Where are Keffee and Thomas from?? Queensland.

A couple of weeks ago there was a story on 7.30 story about Queensland outlaw motorcycle gangs supplying illegal - not just banned from sports, but illegal - PEDs. Coincidence?? From the 7.30 transcript and you can watch the story at the link

http://www.abc.net.au/7.30/content/2015/s4194226.htm
LEIGH SALES, PRESENTER: Police and health experts are warning of an explosion in the use of illegal performance-enhancing steroids. Anabolic steroids have long been used by athletes and body builders, but increasingly they're being peddled to school-aged boys. Like any user, they risk severe side effects, including an increased risk of prostate cancer, stroke, heart attack and depression.

In the last six months of last year, Customs intercepted 3,000 steroid shipments arriving in Australia. The centre of the steroid business is Queensland's Gold Coast, where police claim outlaw motorcycle gangs are muscling in on the trade. 7.30 has been given exclusive access to raids carried out by Queensland's anti-bikie Taskforce Maxima in a major crackdown on steroid traffickers.

Mark Willacy has this report.

MARK WILLACY: According to police, outlaw bikie gangs are increasingly muscling their way into the steroid trade, often ordering the drugs on overseas internet sites and having them shipped right to their door.

These parcels were delivered to a home near Brisbane as it was being raided by police looking for steroids. The packages had come all the way from China, which along with Thailand is seen as a major source of steroids and human growth hormone.

Inside the packages are pills and vials of steroids, including Clenbuterol. It's known as a "shredder" because it burns off fat cells and increases strength. It's one of the steroids that last year was listed as a Schedule One dangerous drug.

MICK NILAND: Which means it's in the same rankings as heroin, cocaine and methamphetamine. So possession of these drugs can carry a term of 15 years' imprisonment and trafficking in these dangerous drugs, the steroids, can carry up to 25 years' imprisonment.

http://www.abc.net.au/7.30/content/2015/s4194226.htm

At the moment, there is nothing to suggest ours was any worse than Collingwood's. There is only 19.5 hours to go mate, surely you can wait that long before making a judgement?

Someone please put me under anaesthetic!
Larger frenzy mate

Regardless of what comes of these 2 young men, Collingwood have brought the game into disrepute and for this reason they should be banned from the finals, banned from the first 2 rounds of the draft for the first two seasons and a hefty fine.

;)
Agrred, bare minimum for drug cheats.

He may have meant it as a joke, but stupidity as an excuse is pervasive in football all the way to the top whether it is betting, PEDs or assaulting people.

Oy vey.

He didn't say stupidity was an excuse - he said it warranted an extra two years suspension.

You're coming in off the long run on the back of a throwaway line.

That being the case with Ryder and Monfries being at Port does that count as them having two ADRV's if both are found guilty tomorrow?
ANd doesn't EFC have 17 current ADRV's currently pending so are open to more punishment from AFL?
Er, no. Where they at Port when they allegedly committed the adrv?

And when we're discussing what the code actually says, it's almost unbelievable you comment on efc getting more. Can you read anywhere where it says the more adrv's above 2 the bigger the penalty?

I keep thinking of Ahmad Saad. He drank a LEGAL drink that can be purchased over the counter, and swiftly banned for nearly 2 years.

If Essendon players and these latest 2 Collingwood players don't get AT LEAST the same 2 years, then the whole footy public and St Kilda in particular should kick up the biggest hoo haa the AFL has ever seen.

As a supporter of the game, It is time imo, that the general fan speaks loudly and clearly how peed of we are with the double standards that are appearing in the rules/running of the game.

Enough is enough.

And to the people gloating about positive samples you might want to remember that the only difference between someone that has taken PEDs and returned a positive sample versus someone that hasn't is that the person with a positive sample doesn't need 2 years of investigation to establish their guilt/innocence. If the Essendon players had tested positive they would all be back and playing this year.

Disappointing once again. The spotlight has been on PEDS in the afl for what now seems an eternity and these boys still think they can take shortcuts and beat the system.

Careers over before they even get going and for what?

At least it's not the clubs fault, unlike a systematic injecting supplements programme at another club who relish in the fact that "no one tested positive"

I wonder if this club not testing positive was a result of not enough testing during that period and as a result ASADA have increased the number of random tests and hence the increase in players returning positive tests

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I keep thinking of Ahmad Saad. He drank a LEGAL drink that can be purchased over the counter, and swiftly banned for nearly 2 years.

If Essendon players and these latest 2 Collingwood players don't get AT LEAST the same 2 years, then the whole footy public and St Kilda in particular should kick up the biggest hoo haa the AFL has ever seen.

As a supporter of the game, It is time imo, that the general fan speaks loudly and clearly how peed of we are with the double standards that are appearing in the rules/running of the game.

Enough is enough.
Firstly, the drink wasn't legal on matchdays, and that is all that matters.

You'd think these two are almost guaranteed 2 years, if not more. Our situation is different, there is no positive tests or any real concrete evidence.

I'll use the Jobe Watson interview

1. Signed form that he was taking legal thymosin (thymomodulin)
2. Observed vial labelled thymomodulin
3. Received injection of vial labelled thymomodulin

Thus Watson believed he was receiving thymomodulin. If he was duped by individuals falsely labelling vials then I don't think it is reasonable to punish player under that circumstance.

The players initiated consent forms as they wanted to ensure they were compliant. They actually went above and beyond the requirements at the time.
But didn't Wayson say he was aware he was getting Thymosin, and that there was a "good one" and a "bad one"?

You'd think these two are almost guaranteed 2 years, if not more. Our situation is different, there is no positive tests or any real concrete evidence.
Good grief.

The drink is legal, as per the post you're quoting.

And there's no test for tb4.

I actually struggle to get my head around the fact that people think that then makes what happened okay

More than 2, might want to brush up on your code knowledge
And there's no requirement for team disqualification

Read here and consider yourself educated:
http://www.bigfooty.com/forum/threads/collingwood-pair-test-positive.1091485/page-38#post-37651707
Yeah I love that you're trying to "school" me on team penalties. I take it you haven't been around these boards much. It's kind of a hobby horse of mine.

You'll notice I never mentioned mandatory team disqualification

Well done to Collingwood, particularly Gary Pert and Nick Maxwell, in coming out strongly once this story broke.

Essentially they will sit in the background and allow ASADA to investigate the situation properly, which is great, considering that's exactly what ASADA is meant to do. In the mean time though, they will help Keefe and Thomas pursue any legal avenues they wish to, however they will only HELP them, not guide them, as it isn't the club's place to do so.

I know it's hard to compare this situation with the Essendon one, but I just wish that we had handled the situation as well as Collingwood have. I know this story is only in its infancy, but Collingwood supporters should be proud of their club's actions up to this point.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back