news The General MMA & Combat Sports Discussion Thread

Apr 16, 2011
Perth
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
Chelsea
I don't think Dillashaw being out is good. Even with two title fights that PPV card wasn't all that great. Now it's worse.

Cruz will end up fighting the champion when he comes back in all likelihood anyway, whether it be first fight back or after beating someone else. Unless I'm missing something I don't see how this fight cancellation changes anything for the better.

bkozican

Norm Smith Medallist
Apr 9, 2011
W.A
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
Boston Celtics
I don't think Dillashaw being out is good. Even with two title fights that PPV card wasn't all that great. Now it's worse.

Cruz will end up fighting the champion when he comes back in all likelihood anyway, whether it be first fight back or after beating someone else. Unless I'm missing something I don't see how this fight cancellation changes anything for the better.

Imo, the dillashaw v barao fight was the only reason I was going to get the ppv

Mar 12, 2008
Rehab
AFL Club
Essendon
http://www.mmafighting.com/2015/3/24/8259545/in-search-of-strange-brew

Terrific article about Jason Thacker from the first season of TUF. Man, it's really sad though. I've seen a lot of long articles on MMA sites that looked interesting and then I never get around to reading them. Glad I read this.

http://www.bloodyelbow.com/2015/3/1...ty-fighting-family-business-mountains-war-mma

And recently read this one about Khabib and his father, which was also a great read.

That was a brilliant article! I'm glad that we have moved on from those days.

Jun 23, 2008
Headed for Kirribilli House
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
Norwood, Everton, Detroit Red Wings
McGregor reaching Chael Sonnen levels of lulz with his talk in the lead-up to his fight with Aldo. "The McGregor Division" needs to "beg his forgiveness" for "speaking his name in vain", apparently, and he is Aldo's "Daddy", and should be referred to by Aldo as "Jose Snr" :D:p

bkozican

Norm Smith Medallist
Apr 9, 2011
W.A
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
Boston Celtics
McGregor reaching Chael Sonnen levels of lulz with his talk in the lead-up to his fight with Aldo. "The McGregor Division" needs to "beg his forgiveness" for "speaking his name in vain", apparently, and he is Aldo's "Daddy", and should be referred to by Aldo as "Jose Snr" :D:p
I guess that is why people like him. Me personally, i think you have to show more respect than this

everyone been watching embedded? man, this fight is gunna be insane! seems conor is getting into Jose head and making him really mad.. don't know if that's a good idea tho! only bad thing about this fight is that we have to wait for july

matty lloyd the champ

Norm Smith Medallist
Jul 8, 2006
Australia
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
Houston Rockets
everyone been watching embedded? man, this fight is gunna be insane! seems conor is getting into Jose head and making him really mad.. don't know if that's a good idea tho! only bad thing about this fight is that we have to wait for july
Embedded has been pretty good thus far. Aldo's ping pong skills are on point. Oh and I honestly don't think Conor dislikes him, he just doing what he can to promote the fight. Aldo on the other hand, I reckon he hates his guts.

Apr 16, 2011
Perth
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
Chelsea
I guess that is why people like him. Me personally, i think you have to show more respect than this
For me it's not even about respect. I don't find his antics and what he says particularly interesting. It's just annoying really. Lots of people eat it up and he knows this, so it's working out well for him.

Jul 24, 2009
Melbourne
AFL Club
Melbourne
Other Teams
Phoenix Suns, Sunderland
Ia Quinta with one of the great post fight rage quit :D

"You better not be booing me" :D

It's hard not to be frustrating as a fighter to hear score cards as bad as a 30-27 for you and 28-29 against.

My favourite post fight interview since Brock/Mir II! I wouldn't want to be Al's hotel room after that. :D

Oen thing I'd like clarity on is when did people start referring to Ronda's coach as "the great Edmund Taverdian"? Anic threw that in about 5 times during the Guida fight and I'm wondering if I missed something.

Apr 16, 2011
Perth
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
Chelsea
Iaquinta seems pretty immature with him trashing hotel rooms and swearing at the crowd, but damn I still really enjoyed him reacting to the crowd like that. Only watched the fight once and without a keen eye on scoring it, but I thought those last 2 rounds could have gone either way.

How well did that uppercut by Lamas land? Mendes was dropping straight into it and was completely unfazed, so I'm not sure. Mendes' power is ridiculous. Huge shot to the top of the head had Lamas wobbling around all over the place. Mendes could have probably got him out of there even sooner but he looked like he was making sure to avoid the back of the head. For the most part it doesn't matter when you've got someone hurt like that. Stoppage was still clearly late in the end though.

I've seen a lot of people writing that Aldo hasn't faced anyone with McGregor's power. Mendes looks like he has very similar power in his hands as McGregor. Aldo took some flush shots from Mendes on the chin in the 2nd fight, so Aldo's chin is clearly very good.

Back