Under 18's Div 1

Remove this Banner Ad

Well, what a terrific Grand Final we had yesterday.

The game actually started completely differently to how I thought it might with the Eagles dominating the first quarter which they should've led by more than the 19 point margin they had. It really was an impressive start by a side who actually usually start very slowly. Micallef won plenty of tap outs which allowed the midfield to dominate.

In the second quarter Hadfield came into the game more off the back of two of their gun little men, Abdul Moustafa and Matty Gray which in turn set Luke Silvestro free. Even though it didn't show too much on the scoreboard you always felt the Hawks were right back in it.

The 3rd quarter was nearly all the Hawks as they looked full of running into a decent breeze and the Eagles looked like they were tiring. Jessie Inzillo was fantastic with his pace being telling, while Moustafa, Gray, Kaakour and Silvestro again dominated. It really was a great quarter by the Hawks and suddenly the scores were level going into the last change.

It took a stirring last break rev up from coach Dom Micallef to get the Eagles up and running again. His son, Dom, showed why he was adjudged BOG with his work around the ground, Callum Langborne made a telling intercept in the back line which seemed to lift the Eagles even more, while Jamie Gorgievski was brilliant down back taking countless marks to end Hawks raids. He got fantastic assistance from the rest of the back-line, Hardstaff, Tau and DaRiva in particular, while Shaun Stewart showed why he has played 9 senior games in 2014.

Hadfield got great service from Matty Gray and Luke Silvestro, while Moustafa was always dangerous.

The final score ended out being 11-10-76 to 9-9-63. The game was played in great spirit and was a fitting finale to the 2014 season.

Well, what a terrific Grand Final we had yesterday.

The game actually started completely differently to how I thought it might with the Eagles dominating the first quarter which they should've led by more than the 19 point margin they had. It really was an impressive start by a side who actually usually start very slowly. Micallef won plenty of tap outs which allowed the midfield to dominate.

In the second quarter Hadfield came into the game more off the back of two of their gun little men, Abdul Moustafa and Matty Gray which in turn set Luke Silvestro free. Even though it didn't show too much on the scoreboard you always felt the Hawks were right back in it.

The 3rd quarter was nearly all the Hawks as they looked full of running into a decent breeze and the Eagles looked like they were tiring. Jessie Inzillo was fantastic with his pace being telling, while Moustafa, Gray, Kaakour and Silvestro again dominated. It really was a great quarter by the Hawks and suddenly the scores were level going into the last change.

It took a stirring last break rev up from coach Dom Micallef to get the Eagles up and running again. His son, Dom, showed why he was adjudged BOG with his work around the ground, Callum Langborne made a telling intercept in the back line which seemed to lift the Eagles even more, while Jamie Gorgievski was brilliant down back taking countless marks to end Hawks raids. He got fantastic assistance from the rest of the back-line, Hardstaff, Tau and DaRiva in particular, while Shaun Stewart showed why he has played 9 senior games in 2014.

Hadfield got great service from Matty Gray and Luke Silvestro, while Moustafa was always dangerous.

The final score ended out being 11-10-76 to 9-9-63. The game was played in great spirit and was a fitting finale to the 2014 season.
Have to agree with every thing but micallef, i thought Stewart and Natoli had more of an impact on the game,Hardstaffs work on Silvestro was brilliant as well as a formidable presence of Georgievski and DaRiva. i thought that whole backline won the Burners the game they held that solid line all day Langbourne just seemed to fill that hole every time the ball came past the center. Was a bit suprised at the coach moving Langbourne into Center half Forward at 3/4 time it nearly cost them the game, but all in all was a perfect ending for a group of boys that have come just about all the way through juniors together. WELL DONE CRAIGIEBURN

Last edited:
Have to agree with every thing but micallef, i thought Stewart and Natoli had more of an impact on the game,Hardstaffs work on Silvestro was brilliant as well as a formidable presence of Georgievski and DaRiva. i thought that whole backline won the Burners the game they held that solid line all day Langbourne just seemed to fill that hole every time the ball came past the center. Was a bit suprised at the coach moving Langbourne into Center half Forward at 3/4 time it nearly cost them the game, but all in all was a perfect ending for a group of boys that have come just about all the way through juniors together. WELL DONE CRAIGIEBURN

Watched the game aswell. Cragieburn players very good with the ball and in the end was the difference. Their run and spread was superior, even though Haddy were faster, Haddy couldn't compose when they had the ball. Cragieburn would be chuffed with the quality of some of these kids coming through young but mature heads they will become good senior contributors.

Pretty ordinary not to see the Eagles Premiership photo in the record today.

Watched the A grade Grannie and thought it was pretty good. Had Abers #3 O'Callaghan as BOG, but the umps thought differently.

Pretty ordinary not to see the Eagles Premiership photo in the record today.

Watched the A grade Grannie and thought it was pretty good. Had Abers #3 O'Callaghan as BOG, but the umps thought differently.
I think they forgot they have under 18s and reserves bit shitty actually those biys worked just as hard to play in a grand final they should get their time in the sun too

Ok so everybody talkin about seniors next year wonder how many of div 1 under 18s lose kids to ressies and seniors and how this years top 5 will fare next year?

I'm actually a bit worried about this division next year. We've lost two of the best sides in the comp and replaced them with 1 team, EDS who will be very strong and EK who finished 6th in div 2 and their 16s finished 5th in div 4.

Heaven knows if Tulla will have a side, so we may well need another year where a team fills in, in their place. Westmeadows should be the big improvers, while Glenroy and Oak Park have a lot of work to do. Hillside should be strong again, but I'm also picking they'll lose a lot to the seniors and or Jets.

I guess for a lot of these youngsters much will depend how much their clubs recruit instead of looking at their youth. A positive for the Craigieburn kids is, that their coach is a great advocate in using talented youngsters, so guys don't be shy to head on down to the Eagles ;)

Pretty sure Wallis will use a few of his talented 18s next year too and he has a host of good ones to call on. Leaney, Meyers, Palumbo, Ntalianis and Romios are just some. Koolyn Briggs will be a huge loss for them.

Lots of names at the Eagles will get a shot, but the most likely ones will be, Falcone, Natoli, Hardstaff, Micallef, Perone, Stewart and Langborne. Of course some of those players may have commitments at the Calder Cannons, so their appearances may be limited too.

If I had to name a top 5 today it would be, Craigieburn, Essendon DS, Hillside, Westmeadows and the team the EDFL bring in to the comp.

Here here tulla are the unknown with all thats going on down there and I hear Langborne caught the attention if both northern blues and coburg that would be a big loss especially if those boys u named play a lot of senior footy not sure what the crop of 16 are like comin through and agree westy r going to be the ones to watch

Ok people with 1 week before kickoff for season 2015 we've had a few praccy matches how does the comp look. Watched craigieburn yesterday very rusty lost 6 of there best to ressies picked up some good 16s but looked rough

I hope Tulla have managed to get a team together or the league have organised another team to take their place.

I hear Douttas lost yesterday, but they really are depleted thanks to Cannons and Jets commitments. Will still have a very good side, but not nearly as potent when at full strength.

Westmeadows and Taylors Lakes to join the Eagles and Douttas in the finals.

I hope Tulla have managed to get a team together or the league have organised another team to take their place.

I hear Douttas lost yesterday, but they really are depleted thanks to Cannons and Jets commitments. Will still have a very good side, but not nearly as potent when at full strength.

If Tulla doesn't get a team up, who'll replace them?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

taylors lakes really struggling in the 18's terrible numbers by all reports, cross them out for finals , sharks will be pretty good depending on how many play seniors and jets each week.

taylors lakes really struggling in the 18's terrible numbers by all reports, cross them out for finals , sharks will be pretty good depending on how many play seniors and jets each week.

That's a real pity. Have always been strong in that age group. I did forget about Hillside. One to watch.

Eds lost by 14 points to Sunbury on Saturday morning

8 players at cannons and jets and two played seniors.
Heard Craigieburn lost to marby, can't be too good as Marby have always been near the bottom in under 18s.

Taylors Lakes my tip to be terrible as there numbers arnt good and there 16s coming up are all coming from division 4.

With
Laguda
Wallis
Brown
Hobbs
Meyers
Toa
Campisi
Romios

That's a lot of quality missing to TAC CUP. Not mentioning the guys who play seniors.

Heard Craigieburn lost to marby, can't be too good as Marby have always been near the bottom in under 18s.

8 players in the senior side or out so topped up with 16s. Sole Cannons player not allowed to play. Defending Premiers who will make an impact again.

With
Laguda
Wallis
Brown
Hobbs
Meyers
Toa
Campisi
Romios

That's a lot of quality missing to TAC CUP. Not mentioning the guys who play seniors.

Would be hot favourites with all on board to win the Flag, but that's the price you pay for having so many good players at one club. I also hear Peter Ntalianis has a major hammy injury.

8 players in the senior side or out so topped up with 16s. Sole Cannons player not allowed to play. Defending Premiers who will make an impact again.

Would be hot favourites with all on board to win the Flag, but that's the price you pay for having so many good players at one club. I also hear Peter Ntalianis has a major hammy injury.

Incorrect, slight hammy, believe he could play round 1.

George Romios is moving from Douttas to Abers. Reason to play premier 18s. He hasn't yet got a game for the cannons but surely will soon. I'm hearing good reports of the lad.
It's a loss for Douttas but when you get dropped a division it has a flow on effect. I personally understand and agree with the move..

George Romios is moving from Douttas to Abers. Reason to play premier 18s. He hasn't yet got a game for the cannons but surely will soon. I'm hearing good reports of the lad.
It's a loss for Douttas but when you get dropped a division it has a flow on effect. I personally understand and agree with the move..

That was quick. :)

The only other option is to play seniors for Douttas, but apparently that's no given.

On a positive note for this division, 18 rounds of footy.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back