Preview Freo VS Port - Round 1 (team post #467 page 19)

Remove this Banner Ad

Thinking of putting up a banter thread in the next couple of days for posts like that anyway, might even do it later today.

When do u guys play Richmond?

Those guys love banter. They even do pre-season banter threads.

When do u guys play Richmond?

Those guys love banter. They even do pre-season banter threads.

I suppose humour is a good way to detract from the reality of your team being a bunch of squibs.

So would Fyfe :)

Get. Out.

FWIW Monfries is a good player and a useful foil for Wingard. with the bulk of attention on the Chad he's more than capable of bopping up for a couple.

the way i look at it Butch would have almost been pencilled in at FF / HF now with Ryder clear hes a huge improvement on Butch.

Still cant see both Monfries and Wingard playing... One or the other i think....

Monfries does an excellent forward defensive role thats very underrated, especially when he is dangerous enough going the other way to hit the score board.
Definite best 22

This is my prediction (based on match ups, not on specific positions). Thoughts?

sPv2zyU.png

Monfries performance in the 2014 Prelim Final shows that he is definitely best 22. He played with a bunged hip, couldn't kick the ball further than 30metres and still managed to kick 4 goals and be crucial to our comeback. His experience in our very inexperienced side is crucial.

Should be a good game. Port just got 2 big experienced players (which we don't have many of) back into the side. I wouldn't stress about match fitness too much. Especially with Burgo as our fitness guru. That's probably wishful thinking more than anything else.

Fremantle will not be push overs though. At subi (Domain) they are an absolute power house. The last 2 games were crackers where both teams missed opportunities and the other team pounced, so they're clearly two high quality teams. Will be a tight contest!!

If they play both Ryder and Butcher they will definitely stretch our defence for height. But on the flip side they lose some of their run as a result.

If it was 1v1 all around the ground their extra height would be an issue but our whole gameplan revolves around team defence. Our boys know when to become the loose defender and double up. That's our bread and butter. Johnson, Ibbo and Mz just love floating in from the side.

Add to that we have the better midfield. Our 5th best midfielder Lachie Neale has decided that the Port midfield are his bitch. I expect him to continue the trend. Add in a dash of Barlow and Hill and Port need to look the * out. On top of that we can garantee Mundy will give us at least one quarter where he decides to turn up and be the best clearance mid in the comp and Mzungu will show Hinkley what a real endurance athlete can do.

Westoff is still having nightmares about being chased down by Mayne, Robbie fifty shades of Gray apparantly asked to play SANFL this week because he's scared Pav is going to floor him again. Wingard will still be checking his hair and forgot to turn up to the game.

I won't even bother talking about Sandi and Clarke because it's a given that they will dominate the ruck. Oh I forgot to mention that little superstar of ours Walters, and god help them if Ballas is good to go too. The point i'm trying to make is that Port need to worry about us more than we need to worry about them.

Oh, did I mention Fyfe.

Ross playing a debutante in round 1!? ROSS DOESNT DEVELOP YOOF
Sarcastic I am sure.
That was when RTB was at St kilda, he's learnt from that.

I know that's a popular thought but I just don't think there was anything in the youth at the saints at the time.
Now I am not sure if people here subscribe to the nature or nurture version of things but neither is the Job of the senior coach. That's what recruiters and development coaches are for.

Of the youth picks that Ross could have played within his tenure there was a total of 27 draft picks. This resulted in 10 players who played more than 30 matches or are still in the AFL. Of that 4 play for other team and a few look like they won't make the 30 match cutoff no matter where they are.
On the Rookie list there was 26 picks for 6 "good" selections of which 2 play with other teams.
This would seem to put the success rate of the drafting/development personnel at an average of 30%. By contrast over the same period Hawthorne went 24, 17, 3 on the national list and 22, 6, 1 in the rookies for a success rate of 50% in the drafting/development department. I could also use a measure of games played vs number of recruits but I suspect that the Hawks still going to show STK a clean set of heels. And the fact that they hold onto their own players rather than leaking them will just push the numbers in the hawks direction. I suspect that Geelong will have similar numbers.

My point is that there was never anything at STK for RTB to play. The cupboard was empty and club was as bereft of talent or at the very least the development coache(s) were not doing their job. Now it wasn't that long ago so I know that we can point to the people doing the youth development in our team through those years as can Geelong and the Hawks. I am sure that there was someone there doing that who was not RTB. To me this is not a RTB failure but a failure of the organisation to have the right people in other rolls.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

FB-Spurr, McPharlin, Duffield
HB-Ibbotson, Johnson, Suban
C- Hill, Barlow, Sutcliffe
HF-Mayne, Taberner, Walters
FF- Ballantyne, Pavlich, Clarke
1st-Sandilands, Fyfe, Mundy
Int-Mzungu, D.Pearce, Neale
Sub- Crozier
De Boer, Pearce, Hannath stiff to miss out.

Sub- Crozier

Very stiff considering Suban is out for 2-3 weeks with a hammy.

This is my prediction (based on match ups, not on specific positions). Thoughts?

sPv2zyU.png

This feels pretty accurate if all these players get up. I'd swap the Ibbotson/Johnson match ups around, maybe. Just don't think ibbo has the height to cover Ryder, whereas he did a pretty reasonable job on Westhoff in the SF until he injured his shoulder.

Also, like others have said, I'd expect Ross to have either de Boer or Clancee Pearce come in to play as defensive mid, most likely on Gray or Boak. This would be at the expense of one of Crozier/Sheridan/Mzungu/Duffield. The latter two only in there because of injury clouds.

Sub- Crozier

That's not a bad team. Although question marks over a few

So in the semi we were missing Ibbo, johnno and Macca from that backline. Am I correct ?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back