NFL 2015 - Off Season Discussion

Remove this Banner Ad

In this thread: Essendon fans sticking their heads so far in the sand it's scary... Ala West Coast fans if you want to use the example TGBB.

I don't get how fans of any sports team can be so defensive that they actually cloud themselves of the truth as a personal defence mechanism. Just look at Chism and his defence of Hardy post Cowboy talk.

The likely facts are, Hardy did abuse his girlfriend. There was a systematic injection scheme in place in Essendon. A large percentage of west coast players enjoyed recreational drugs on te weekend.

The first two are abhorrent, one on the part of the individual, the other against a volume of players who were used by their club as medical tests. The third, only as abhorrent as your skewed morality judgment may or may not allow people the choice to take drugs.

But to flat out deny it happened, JUST BECAUSE YOURE A FAN OF THE TEAM THEY PLAY FOR is scary. When all events suggest the contrary, even if it isn't proven beyond doubt in a court of law.

Last edited:
No, they found they could not be "comfortably satisfied" (the standard of evidence required) that any banned substances had been used because of a "deplorable absence of records in the program relating to its administration". They didn't say that they were in any way confident that no banned substances had been used

Sorry have to go back to this one because it's irritating.

There was insufficient evidence to even reach the low bar of 'comfortably satisfied'. A bar that's below not only criminal but civil.

Insufficient evidence is usually the case for most acquittals, underpins our legal system. You seem to imply it's just a small matter of...

Last edited:

In this thread: Essendon fans sticking their heads so far in the sand it's scary... Ala West Coast fans if you want to use the example TGBB.

I don't get how fans of any sports team can be so defensive that they actually cloud themselves of the truth as a personal defence mechanism. Just look at Chism and his defence of Hardy post Cowboy talk.

The likely facts are, Hardy did abuse his girlfriend. There was a systematic doping system in place in Essendon. A large percentage of west coast players enjoyed recreational drugs on te weekend.

The first two are abhorrent, one on the part of the individual, the other against a volume of players who were used by their club as medical tests. The third, only as abhorrent as your skewed morality judgment may or may not allow people the choice to take drugs.

But to flat out deny it happened, JUST BECAUSE YOURE A FAN OF THE TEAM THEY PLAY FOR is scary. When all events suggest the contrary, even if it isn't proven beyond doubt in a court of law.

Bolded part is untrue btw. Talk about head in the sand.

Bolded part is untrue btw. Talk about head in the sand.
Pedantic response based on terminology, but unless you think all the players are liars now...

Cmon man. I don't even think you could give a club wide penalty involving players (pretty much the only thing you could do), but you can at least acknowledge the issues at hand.

There's a fair difference between not proven and innocent, but unsurprisingly Essendon supporters are more than happy to conflate the two. OJ Simpson's example comes immediately to mind as a clear indication of the difference, right down to the point where Simpson wrote a book denying responsibility but then hypothetically describing how he might have murdered his ex-wife and her lover.

To be honest, the verdict yesterday reminded me of Spygate, save that the NFL did actually punish the Patriots for Spygate - just that it was a slap on the wrist with a wet piece of lettuce - whereas the AFL didn't even need to break off a lettuce leaf.

Top 10 impact free agent signings and trades, as per E$PN In$ider:

The 2015 NFL offseason has been incredibly active with both a lot of free-agent movement and some trades involving big-name players -- much more so than in previous years.

Let's forget for a moment the cost of each deal and the overall roster-building blueprint of every team. (For a look at some of those factors, check out Mike Sando's free-agency grades.) We're concerned here with a more immediate question: Which of these players changing uniforms are set up to make the biggest impact in their first seasons with their new teams? Here are the top 10, ranked in order of expected immediate impact.

(Note: If Adrian Peterson were to switch teams, he would rival our No. 1 for having the most impact. No matter where Peterson plays in 2015, I fully expect him to have a very productive season.)

1. Darrelle Revis, CB, New York Jets

The Jets had one of the worst cornerback groups in the NFL last year. Now, after signing Buster Skrine, Antonio Cromartie and -- most importantly -- Revis, they now rank among the best units in football. New head coach Todd Bowles had a similarly deep and talented group when he was defensive coordinator at Arizona, and because of this, the Cardinals blitzed a ton and played a very high percentage of dime defense, with six defensive backs on the field.

Revis will play the role of Patrick Peterson in Bowles' defense, but at this stage of their respective careers, Revis is the superior cover man. With a great three-man defensive line and the additions at cornerback, New York should have one of the best defenses in football -- and Revis could be a defensive player of the year candidate.

2. Ndamukong Suh, DT, Miami Dolphins

Suh is a wrecking machine. With most of the players listed here, it will be pointed out how this new player fits a certain scheme or influences his new team in a certain way; with Suh, he'll be great on any team in any scheme.

He makes everyone around him much better, and outside of J.J. Watt, he might be the best interior pass-rusher in all of football. It just so happens that a strong interior pass rush is what gives Tom Brady fits. I don't think that's a coincidence.

3. Jimmy Graham, TE, Seattle Seahawks

Graham is a great football player and a truly elite touchdown producer. His number of targets should decrease in Seattle, but his effectiveness might actually increase. Russell Wilson is a superb deep-seam-route passer, and Graham is as effective on this route as any tight end in recent memory. Wilson also trusts big targets (as we saw in the Super Bowl) and will put the ball almost "up for grabs" when his target has one-on-one coverage. Graham is amazing in these situations.

But what is most intriguing about this new marriage is the Seahawks' new lineup when they are in base personnel with two wide receivers on the field. Does the opposing defense play its base defense against that grouping and give Graham a favorable matchup, or does it play nickel and put lighter personnel on the field against the supreme running threat of Marshawn Lynch and Wilson? There isn't really a right answer to that question.

4. LeSean McCoy, RB, Buffalo Bills

With Rex Ryan as the new head coach and a massive question mark at the quarterback position, the Bills could lead the NFL in carries next season. Ryan is as good as any head coach in the league at utilizing a formula that will rely on the running game and what should be a great Buffalo defense.

While Fred Jackson should still have a role, McCoy is going to get a lot of touches with his new team as its featured back. It wouldn't be surprising if McCoy racked up 60 or more receptions to go along with a heavy carry workload. The Bills traded for him for a reason.

5. Max Unger, C, New Orleans Saints

Because of Drew Brees' lack of height, and his great ability to step up in the pocket, New Orleans has valued interior offensive linemen as much as any team in football during the Brees era. But despite the Saints having big money invested in their starting guards in 2014, Brees' interior protection let him down in a big way.

Now, the Saints have added one of the best centers in football, which should pay off huge for Brees, as well as help New Orleans go to a more run-heavy offense with Mark Ingram and the newly signed C.J. Spiller. There is a caveat in that Unger has had injury issues, but if healthy, he'll make quite the impact.

6. Greg Hardy, DE, Dallas Cowboys

We're concentrating only on what Hardy can do on the field with this selection, and his availability could be limited by a league-mandated suspension. But Hardy was a dominant player in 2013, and after signing a one-year incentive-laden deal, he should remain very hungry to regain that dominance for the Cowboys so long as he's able to stay on the field. Hardy is very stout on the edge against the run, but is also a great pass-rusher who can win on the edge or as an inside pass-rusher when Dallas goes to its sub package defense. That makes him close to an every-down player.

Jeremy Mincey played well for the Cowboys in 2014, and DeMarcus Lawrence has a lot of ability that flashed at the end of the year. This could be a very good defensive line after the addition of Hardy. Behind this upgraded defensive line, Sean Lee needs to finally stay healthy and the Cowboys could use a new recruit or two for the second level via the draft. But their pass rush and overall play up front should make this an improved defense.

7. Rodney Hudson, C, Oakland Raiders

Already among the best centers in the league, Hudson keeps getting better every year, and with his high-end athletic ability and movement skills, he should fit the Raiders' new up-tempo offense extremely well.

Hudson is undersized by today's standards for the center position -- he's listed at 6-foot-2, 299 pounds -- but he has remarkable quickness as well as great balance and pad level, and therefore doesn't struggle with interior defensive linemen who outweigh him. Oakland's offensive line did a good job in protection last season, but its overall run blocking was abysmal. That should change with Hudson as the new leader of this group.

8. Orlando Franklin, OL, San Diego Chargers

San Diego was hit extremely hard with injuries to its offensive line last season; as a result, it did very little in the run game. At this stage of Philip Rivers' career, a running game is necessary for success, as we saw when Rivers and the entire offense wore down as last season progressed. The Chargers have simply asked too much of their signal-caller of late.

Franklin -- a giant, mauling lineman -- is a very good right tackle, but also quite accomplished at guard. With D.J. Fluker slated for right tackle or guard, the Chargers now have some flexibility on draft day, and can add either a tackle or guard prospect to their equation up front. Either way, this huge, physical line should be much improved with Franklin on board.

9. Brandon Marshall, WR, New York Jets

Marshall's speed and explosiveness are declining, but we can't forget that he played much of last season with a gimpy ankle. And, because of his ability to use his frame to "play big," Marshall is the type of receiver who won't be overly reliant on his declining speed as his career winds down.

The Jets don't have a great quarterback situation, but Ryan Fitzpatrick and Geno Smith should quickly grow fond of Marshall, who should rather easily emerge as New York's top receiving option. Despite missing three games in 2014, Marshall has caught 31 touchdowns over the past three seasons. He should immediately be New York's best weapon near the goal line.

10. Jeremy Maclin, WR, Kansas City Chiefs

Maclin isn't a true No. 1 type of wide receiver, and isn't exceptional in one specific area of his game. He has good speed, but it is doubtful that Alex Smith has the downfield throwing ability to use that to the Chiefs' advantage with regularity.

But Maclin knows Andy Reid's system, and more than anything, Kansas City was simply in desperate need of help at the position. Maclin is a massive upgrade over Dwayne Bowe, and he gives the Chiefs a rather formidable overall group of skill-position players, with tight end Travis Kelce on the verge of breaking out and running back Jamaal Charles as the foundation of this offense.

Pedantic response based on terminology, but unless you think all the players are liars now...

Cmon man. I don't even think you could give a club wide penalty involving players (pretty much the only thing you could do), but you can at least acknowledge the issues at hand.

Doping and governance. Never denied the governance so not sure what you're on about. One we were punished for, the other we were found not guilty by two former County Court judges so Dixie not sure on the comparison with spygate.

Just stop talking about it. Get back to nfl talk. No point creating a thread specifically for that as then people will talk about it constantly in that thread.
I have the right of reply.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I am interested to know which part didn't happen

The injection of players, or that the substance wasn't banned...
I am interested to know which part didn't happen

The injection of players, or that the substance wasn't banned...

Players were injected, substances were not banned as far as anyone knows.

Or are you talking about these club, three of which used substantial needle programs.

THE AFL won’t investigate several of its clubs despite a league-wide survey revealing a dozen sides conducted supplements programs that lacked "a single point of accountability".

The survey, conducted after Essendon’s systematic and unsupervised drugs program was exposed this year, found another 11 clubs ran programs with "medium or high levels of supplement use".

It identified an inappropriate definition of supplements and a flawed selection process in the employment of support staff.

Players at nine clubs also independently sourced supplements.

http://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/a...uate-supervision/story-fni5f22o-1226740824947

lol....

-----------

Adorable 10-year-old defends hot take criticism of Cam Newton
Posted by Darin Gantt on April 1, 2015, 7:33 AM EDT
0135791001411569283_filepicker.jpg

As with many modern media phenomenons, it all started with a tweet.

After one guy posted a photo of a Skip Bayless-level hot take in an elementary school newspaper ripping Panthers quarterback Cam Newton, the 10-year-old has had a chance to explain himself.

And actually, he’s better than Bayless, because there’s at least an intellectual honesty to the kid’s claims.

The original column in Virginia’s Venable Elementary School’s Gazette began by suggesting the Panthers should move Newton to running back, decried their inconsistency, but came around to the notion of “Now that I think about it, … Maybe he is not the only bad player.”

Bill Voth of Black and Blue Review caught up with the precocious tyke, who was surprised by the attention, but saw the chance at a greater good.

“I am very surprised and very glad because it means the Panthers might get a new quarterback,” 10-year-old Robert Romer said, when asked about the attention his words had gotten.

Romer grew up in Charlottesville, but his best friend in school has family in North Carolina, so they decided to be Panthers fans. But Robert said he’d prefer a more trustworthy quarterback.

“Cam isn’t reliable like Peyton Manning is. Some days he’ll win, some days he’ll lose,” Robert said.

When it’s mentioned that Manning loses in the playoffs a lot, Robert replied: “Well, he’s old.”

“I think Cam throws too many interceptions,” Robert said. “But I’ll cheer for him because he’s on my favorite football team.”

Believe it or not, there are actually some thin-skinned fans who were offended by the kid’s work, but his journalism advisor said she was proud of it.

“I would be very, very disappointed in mankind if there would be backlash, that people would be critical of a child having an opinion,” teacher Maxine Baskfield-Spears said. “We should be encouraging young people to learn, to express their ideas in the right forum, and in such a way that it can be even debated a little it. . . .

“This is sort of the beginning. I hope by the time he’s in 8th or 9th grade, he’ll be writing articles he can defend and that other people can intellectually question.”

His teacher may be expecting a little much from some of the hot-take merchants, and their customers.

And in a few years, we all may be out of work.

Cowboys re-signed MLB Rolando McClain to a one-year, $3 million contract.

Another $1 million is available through incentives. McClain, the former No. 8 overall pick and twice-retired 25-year-old, had a big season for the Cowboys in 2014. He graded out as PFF's No. 8 inside linebacker, showing well both against the run and in pass coverage. McClain will man the middle for Dallas this season, allowing Sean Lee to kick outside to the WILL spot.

My take on the whole bombers asada thing is.....

Thanks for Paddy Ryder......

:p

You could also add that two key witnesses who could've testified what supplement/s were supplied, inexplicably changed their minds when working with asada.

Money talks, bullshit walks.

I just feel sorry for most other club supporters, cos I know essendon players can juice up all they want, and they still won't come close to how good my team is...

Back on topic, apparently Tony Romo has re-structured his contract, saving $13M in '15 cap space... Just enough to pay AP funnily enough.

Maybe you could've re-structured earlier, Tony. And maybe your mate deMarco could've stayed with your team! You know, the one that was a dropped catch away from a possible NFC Championship game!

More likely scenario is the dallas heirarchy didn't ask him to, or flat out refused to if he asked, IMO. Either way, they're playing a dangerous game that will more than likely backfire. The situation has always been fishy...

Same old Cowboys.

Very pleased that McClain is back. If him and Lee can stay on the park we should improve even further on defence than we did last season. I'm still on the fence about AP, he is old and expensive but still the best RB in the league. On the other hand we could potentially draft Melvin Gordon but there is no guarantees about his production. I could see Jerry Jones going back and forth constantly about that conundrum.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back