Best Australian World Cup Team (99, 03, 07, 15)

Remove this Banner Ad

Belnakor

Brownlow Medallist
Apr 10, 2005
Perth
AFL Club
Fremantle
Guys,

Just thinking today around now our 4th World Cup winning team in 5 years, in terms of ability/skill and where they would rank, and strength wise.

1. 2007 - This team was one of the strongest we have fielded, no real weaknesses. Hussey in the middle order gives it the edge for mine.
2. 2015 - Very strong bowling attack, only issue I would have is Watson (past his best) and a misfiring opening combination.
3. 2003 - If you look at this team on paper, it had Bichel as a first pick bowler, and Symonds wasn't at his best yet.
4. 1999 - Warne, Waugh's, Mcgrath, this team is hard to beat, but it did have work men like Moody, Reiffel, Fleming (great bloke but not an all-time great) etc. Waugh dragged us over the line twice.

All up for debate but interesting to see where people sit.

In terms of watch-ability/excitement obviously 1999 world cup.

2003 for me.

Peak Hayden, Gilchrist, Ponting, McGrath. All you need.

Guys,

Just thinking today around now our 4th World Cup winning team in 5 years, in terms of ability/skill and where they would rank, and strength wise.

1. 2007 - This team was one of the strongest we have fielded, no real weaknesses. Hussey in the middle order gives it the edge for mine.
2. 2015 - Very strong bowling attack, only issue I would have is Watson (past his best) and a misfiring opening combination.
3. 2003 - If you look at this team on paper, it had Bichel as a first pick bowler, and Symonds wasn't at his best yet.
4. 1999 - Warne, Waugh's, Mcgrath, this team is hard to beat, but it did have work men like Moody, Reiffel, Fleming (great bloke but not an all-time great) etc. Waugh dragged us over the line twice.

All up for debate but interesting to see where people sit.

In terms of watch-ability/excitement obviously 1999 world cup.

The 1999 side for mine was epic. They started off slow but won the Cup from a position it should not have been able to be won. Just incredible
I think so much confidence was built up from there, it was a strong part of why the next couple of World Cups did not lose a game.
I don't rate the 2007 too highly because I just think the standards of other teams were basically crap and Aussies were not really tested.

1987 and 2003 I rate damn great efforts. 2003 more talented but the team tactics of 1987 and winning key moments in a tournament where sides were quite even I rate highly as an achievement by a team. That was won in a place Australia find hardest to adapt in India so got to rate it super high.

I look at the 1999 side and think what a special team it was. You underate Damien Fleming. Do not be fooled by his good bloke personality. The guy was a seriously good pace/swing bowler in one day cricket. We would not have made the 1996 or 1999 World cup Finals without him. Remember these are overseas too and one in India where pace bowlers rarely get much help from pitches. I feel we kind of got robbed in 1996. Without dew on ground when we bowled and Sri Lanka getting an easy ride to final with forfeit points their way I actually think we could have won that. It was not meant to be but he was a big part of 2 very good World Cup campaigns,
McGrath, Fleming and Warne just wicket takers. We could win from any situation and these guys handled the pressure of so many cut throat games they were extraordinary. You cannot give enough credit to the special fielding of Ponting and catching ability of Mark Waugh. Two of best fielders ever. Steve Waugh was a brilliant star with the bat in two crucial world cup innings. Yeah, Tom Moody might not be a great but just like Finch in this World Cup not all your eleven players are going to perform well at same time. He did his part in one crucial game we had to up the run rate and helped Waugh in important game that helped keep our dwindling hopes alive. The 1999 side also had guys like Lehmann and Gilly that when asked were capable of really turning up tempo with bat. The 1999 team were dead in water at one stage so you had to see it unfold as it happened to really appreciate it. I remember watching most of the games late at night and some of most amazing moments ever I seen in any one day matches.

I give it to the 1999 side and although the 2007 side was undefeated it just seemed like an easy win so can not rate it as high as the others.
Any of 2003, 87 and this one are all on a par.
How is this though. We have one a world cup in every continent that plays cricket. No nation will ever be able to match this.
We won in the sub continent, UK, African continent , The West Indies in American region of world and now in our own Island continent. That is something other cricket nations in world will look on with envy and real awe. We won 5 world cups now. That is amazing to think South Africa that like to think of themselves as another cricket power have never won a semi-final. Contrast that with our nations one day cricket achievements and really saviour it. We been blessed to have incredible players, captains and teams. So all of these players that been a part of every successful world cup campaign belong to a very special club. No other nation can touch it.

Last edited:
99 for me, just because it had Warney in it.

2003 would have been the strongest of them all if he didn't have a double chin.

to think, if Watson hadn't hurt his back - Symonds would never have been there in 2003, and Watto would likely be a triple world cup champion.

The 1999 side for mine was epic. They started off slow but won the Cup from a position it should not have been able to be won. Just incredible
I think so much confidence was built up from there, it was a strong part of why the next couple of World Cups did not lose a game.
I don't rate the 2007 too highly because I just think the standards of other teams were basically crap and Aussies were not really tested.

The 1999 side played the best games, but i think realistically if you lined up the 1999 team vs the 2003 team, the 2003 team would win comfortably.

I look at the 1999 side and think what a special team it was. You underate Damien Fleming. Do not be fooled by his good bloke personality. The guy was a seriously good pace/swing bowler in one day cricket. We would not have made the 1996 or 1999 World cup Finals without him.

Fleming certainly had the ability to excuse under extreme pressure. His last over in 1996 was classic and showed the guy was simply immune to choking. In 1999, bowling the last over, every delivery was on the mark.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

2003 for me.

Peak Hayden, Gilchrist, Ponting, McGrath. All you need.
Hayden would of been better in 07 than 03. He was an absolute force that WC.

It's a good question.

1999:M Waugh, Gilchrist, Ponting, Lehmann, S. Waugh, Bevan, Moody, Warne, Reiffel, Fleming, McGrath

2003: Gilchrist, Hayden, Ponting, Martyn, Lehmann, Bevan, Symonds, Hogg, Bichel, Lee, McGrath

2007: Gilchrist, Hayden, Ponting, Symonds, Watson, Clarke, Hussey, Hogg, Bracken, Tait, McGrath

2015: Finch, Warner, Smith, Clarke, Maxwell, Watson, Haddin, Faulkner Johnson, Starc, Hazelwood

From memory I always thought 2007 was the best and most dominant side, they never looked like losing. Looking at those teams I think they had the best batting line up, although maybe 2003 had better bowling.

2015 is a great side but it's hard to compare them with 03 or 07 especially considering that 2015 had the advantage of playing at home.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back