The Footy Boots Thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Ah, you again. I can give you an update now, as I have worn Asics for the last few years. I have had problematic knees in the past, but since switching to Asics boots have had absolutely no problems. Your claim, or wherever you got it from, of landing on your heel causing knee problems is extremely flawed. Jump up and pay attention to how you land. It's human instinct to land on the ball of your foot. The ONLY reason you would ever land on your heel first after jumping would be due to being extremely off balance. Also, the extra support in the Asics also helped relieve some of the ankle problems I had previously. I am playing senior footy, and train twice a week. There is a reason why so many Australian Rules football players wear Asics boots.

And as for you not being able to tell the difference between Absolado's and Instincts, you really don't know what you're looking at if you can not tell the difference !! And no, it is not just price. As you may have noticed with the lack of replies, no one is really interested in opinions from someone who isn't even putting the boots on their own feet !!
Anyone who thinks that putting 1cm EXTRA on the heel of a boot, used in sports there the legs are generating huge loads, extreme angles, and both at the same time, is a peanut.

Time will tell.

Anyone who thinks that putting 1cm EXTRA on the heel of a boot, used in sports there the legs are generating huge loads, extreme angles, and both at the same time, is a peanut.

Time will tell.

That makes no sense, to me anyway. Pay attention to which boots are being worn by players at AFL level, state league level, and local footy level, and you will see that I am not alone. There are a lot of guys wearing Asics these days, and there is a reason why. The same reason guys and girls don't play basketball and tennis in skate shoes.

That makes no sense, to me anyway. Pay attention to which boots are being worn by hipsters and bogan players at AFL level, state league level, and local footy level, and you will see that I am not alone. There are a lot of hipsters and bogans wearing Asics these days, and there is a reason why. The same reason guys and girls don't play basketball and tennis in skate shoes.

Fixed ;)

That makes no sense, to me anyway. Pay attention to which boots are being worn by players at AFL level, state league level, and local footy level, and you will see that I am not alone. There are a lot of guys wearing Asics these days, and there is a reason why. The same reason guys and girls don't play basketball and tennis in skate shoes.
I love Asics. They are a great boot no doubt. Last season my son went through 3 pair of them. One of the pairs had leather toes and he kicked a hole in both boots from kicking a footy so many times. Yes he kicks both feet. I took the boots back to 'the athletes foot' and they swapped them for some synthetic toed ones. No problem from there. He grew out of those and we bought another pair...

The wide sole is great, the sweat shop workmanship is great.

But I have a BIG problem with high heels. I don't buy shoes, sporting, running etc with heels. School shoes are all low heeled. Heels on feet are un natural. Having an enormous heel on ALL THIS SEASONS ASICS is mindbogglingly dumb. The reason they are introducing it, and they admit it themselves, is that because of the last few generations wearing of heels on all shoes, peoples calves have shortened. By putting an even higher heel on their boots, they are trying to stop the hamstring from stretching so much as the hammy is trying to compensate for the unnaturally shortened calf.

The body is plastic. Skulls can be shaped, feet can be shortened, both by binding for example. Create an environment where the body doesn't need to stretch and it loses flexibility. On can also increase flexibility....but none of this suddenly.

Its obvious knees and ankles are going to suffer because of the extremely high heel. That's why I didn't buy Asics (as 1st choice) this year. I did buy some Asics Marked down to $70 for muddy games. The longer heel may actually help.

I would advise anyone to stop wearing high priced shoes with heels and start wearing shoes with flat soles, just to begin to lengthen their calf muscles, which will in turn decrease risk of hamstring tears.

Last. I had a bloke pm me and told me his Asics were hurting his knees. He wasn't aware of what was causing the problem till he read this thread. I told him to take them back to where he got them, tell them the reason he was returning them, and get some different boots, with no heel gradient.

If you don't think your calves have shortened, go for a run barefoot on some 'clean' grass. you will feel the extra stretch in your calves compared to shoes. Unnatural....

I love Asics. They are a great boot no doubt. Last season my son went through 3 pair of them. One of the pairs had leather toes and he kicked a hole in both boots from kicking a footy so many times. Yes he kicks both feet. I took the boots back to 'the athletes foot' and they swapped them for some synthetic toed ones. No problem from there. He grew out of those and we bought another pair...

The wide sole is great, the sweat shop workmanship is great.

But I have a BIG problem with high heels. I don't buy shoes, sporting, running etc with heels. School shoes are all low heeled. Heels on feet are un natural. Having an enormous heel on ALL THIS SEASONS ASICS is mindbogglingly dumb. The reason they are introducing it, and they admit it themselves, is that because of the last few generations wearing of heels on all shoes, peoples calves have shortened. By putting an even higher heel on their boots, they are trying to stop the hamstring from stretching so much as the hammy is trying to compensate for the unnaturally shortened calf.

The body is plastic. Skulls can be shaped, feet can be shortened, both by binding for example. Create an environment where the body doesn't need to stretch and it loses flexibility. On can also increase flexibility....but none of this suddenly.

Its obvious knees and ankles are going to suffer because of the extremely high heel. That's why I didn't buy Asics (as 1st choice) this year. I did buy some Asics Marked down to $70 for muddy games. The longer heel may actually help.

I would advise anyone to stop wearing high priced shoes with heels and start wearing shoes with flat soles, just to begin to lengthen their calf muscles, which will in turn decrease risk of hamstring tears.

Last. I had a bloke pm me and told me his Asics were hurting his knees. He wasn't aware of what was causing the problem till he read this thread. I told him to take them back to where he got them, tell them the reason he was returning them, and get some different boots, with no heel gradient.

If you don't think your calves have shortened, go for a run barefoot on some 'clean' grass. you will feel the extra stretch in your calves compared to shoes. Unnatural....

Hmmm, interesting. Thanks.

I have screw in Asics for my secondary boots or when its a wet game and I love them. Get great stability and the width helps my feet. Have had Asics in the past and I didn't have problem with them at all.

In the market for new dry game boots at the moment and looking at the black Nike Tiempo Legend V.

Anybody got an old pair of puma king execs lying around? Used to absolutely love those boots but can't seem to get them anymore, despite how hugely popular they were in the AFL.
Easily one of the best pair of boots I have ever worn. They have them on www.prodirectsoccer.com. I was contemplating getting a pair from them.

Picked up new boots the other day. Finding them really hard to wear in and quite painful. Any tips on getting them ready by Friday?

These are the boots by the way:

p513y_9906_0010236882_f_d_primary.jpg

Picked up new boots the other day. Finding them really hard to wear in and quite painful. Any tips on getting them ready by Friday?

They won't be much better on Friday unfortunately. Stick to your old boots and gradually increase the amount of time you spend training in your new ones. They'll slowly come good.

Also no disrespect intended, but don't expect too much out of them, they're not a particularly good boot in terms of shape and structure.

Last edited:

Put your socks and boots on and hop in the shower for 5 mins and get them soaked, then head outside and walk around in them for 10-15 mins. Take them off and let them dry and they should be ready to use.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I don't get where the bad rep for Asics comes from; wondering if its fear of the unusual. A podiatrist had me wearing insoles, and I showed him the Asics boots (this was about 2 years ago). He went away and did research on them, said they were perfect. Not only are they fine for body mechanics, they also slightly encourage the wearer to tilt their foot a little more which would give for better ankle position when kicking on the run, or if a kick doesn't come off the sweet spot.
So I'll take his advice given he's a professional! That said, I loved my Diadora's and still had 3 pair to get through, so I chop and change between them. With no issues (and I've had a previous knee op too).

After a long stint of not playing footy my first year back I got a pair of Adidas boots, all year had shin splints and sore legs. The next year I got a pair of Asics and noticed a significant reduction in the pain my legs were going through, I also believe Asics caters for the wider foot unlike Adidas/Nike.

This year I got the Adidas Predator Instinct..... Love the look and I've noticed less bad kicks due to the rubber grip on the outside of the boot, I feel like my miskicks seem to be pretty well on target where usually they'd slide off the side of the boot into no mans land (maybe it's all in my head). Unfortunately they are just too thin though and provide little support for my feet, will probably be going back to Asics when I can afford to buy another pair of boots.

At the end of the day it all depends on your foot, trial and error.

The last two seasons I have had to buy a new pair of boots as they have fallen apart - both have been Asics. As a 24 year old I don't believe I need to be buying a new pair each season.

Needless to say I won't be getting Asics this time, although my runners are Asics (gel something-a-rather), and they are brilliant.
Looking at the Adidas predator instinct, seem to be a popular choice, and I love the straight black.

Hey All, just looking at playing footy for the first time this year - any recommendations on more recent boots to wear?

It really depends on your shape of foot too I used to wear puma and they became much thinner. Switched to Nike and struggled as I have a wide foot. Went into an Adidas store and found a pair of new boots from two seasons ago and they were perfect. Go leather, let it fit your foot and go from there. Can't go wrong with Nike, Puma, Adidas, Asics and Mizuna.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back