Preview Round 1 - Fremantle vs Port Adelaide

Remove this Banner Ad

Ryder and Butcher won't both play. It is one or the other.
I'm obviously picking Ryder, But I reckon Butch will be a travelling emergency.

Imagine if the AFL decided to offer up this as the season opener tomorrow night. It makes so much sense to open up with a cracking game between two sides who have high expectations.

Imagine if the AFL decided to offer up this as the season opener tomorrow night. It makes so much sense to open up with a cracking game between two sides who have high expectations.

No, season openers are strictly the domain of perennial premiership power houses like Richmond and Carlton.

Haven't you heard all the hype surrounding Richmond and Carlton. Richmond have top four credentials and Carlton... well... they are bringing the disgraced Brendan Fevola out for their attempt at pre-game entertainment.

There is a video of Ballantyne on the Freo website saying they hope to run us off our legs (or words to that effect).

Of all the ways Freo might beat us, that is not one of them. The kid has had too many head knocks..

Definitely the best two aerobic based clubs in the AFL IMO.

Yeah I think it's the best ruck duo, definitely the best we've had in ages but was just trying to be humble as we haven't seen them in action working together yet, neutral supporters still underrate Lobbe a fair bit.

The Ryder/Lobbe/Redden trio could end up better than the Lade/Primus/Broges setup which would be a fair achievement.
Not trying to belittle neutral supporters, but how can anybody underrate Lobbe after his Herculean effort in ruck in 2014? The guy was enormous - without him, we would have finished a lot lower than third.

Hey, you can't mess with a great tradition that goes all the way back to 2008.
The only time either team wins a final is when they play each other. And even then, another prerequisite is that one of them must have finished the minor round in 9th spot.

Port Adelaide takes on Fremantle in Perth on Sunday, but while 2015 marks the nineteenth season of the club travelling west in the AFL, it was actually the first interstate team from any of the states to visit WA.

Let’s jump in the time machine and head back to 1910, when football in Australia was very, very different to the game we know today…

http://www.portadelaidefc.com.au/news/2015-03-31/time-machine-port-tours-wa-1910

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Definitely the best two aerobic based clubs in the AFL IMO.

Any team that defends as well as Fremantle has to be pretty ******* fit.

The problem is for Ballantyne...our defence is better this year. The first season we added run. The second season we added attack to the run. This season, the final piece - the endurance needed to add defence to the attack and run, slides into place.

That's where most blowouts are generated from. Being able to restrict scoring. Absorb the pressure and then attack when they are weak. They think adding run makes them a better team then us. Lyon is about to find out that there's more to Port Adelaide then just fitness, and Ballantyne will learn that he was never the difference between the two teams.

Whilst I'm no supporter of Richmond or Carlton, I can see why the AFL schedule this as the opener.
They should clear between 70k to 80k in attendance at the MCG and if nothing else, the general AFL public will take the opportunity with both hands to pour s**t relentlessly on the loser to whom of which, regardless of the result, will thoroughly deserve it given both clubs are jam packed with campaigners.
Melt downs galore and Facebook s**t flingers will have social media a buzz around Australia talking about AFL and that kind of free advertisement is too good to pass up.

No, season openers are strictly the domain of perennial premiership power houses like Richmond and Carlton.

2009. The last year of Terrence Wallace's megadeal.

A rising groundswell that Richmond were a top-4 contender. Ben Cousins! Richo Man! Jordan McMahon!

A 14-goal walloping later and oooooooooooh, barracuda! on guitar hero it was not.

Didn't you hear? That has been proven to be a hoax. Full details over on the conspiracy board.

Maybe this will refresh your memory?

can anybody tell me how to change the team I support on BF to nobody?
I see some posters have that & I have given up on Freo.
Supporter from day 1 of the club being announced
this was the straw that broke the camel's back
I've indoctrinated my son as well as many students, but enough is enough
to lose a final to a team containing matt the elf who has speed but nothing else white, jared rocky dennis polec, jasper pitard (the pi is pronounced re), nancy hamish heartless, chad ugly man who thinks he is good looking wingard (the guy can play), among others, when we should have been gunning for the flag.
!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
i bought a Freo jumper today
!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
i wore my purple boxer shorts
hawks will smash those megabogans. i mean south australia is the bogan state & they call the port powder puffs, bogans. do their mullets have mullets?
AFL can flock off
Freo can flock off
I'm going to give up my membership as well.
Junior wants 2 keep his, so I'll honour that.
i don't care
hate me all you want
i expect zero likes for this post
those useless procks let that bunch of twerps beat them
umpires always will hurt Freo ( the grey secon d chance goal is a prime example )
my team now is my son's team
he is 14.
hope he doesn't get drafted by west coast of course,
& of course nobody wants 2 live in adelaide,
but now,
i hope he doesn't join the losers at Freo :(:cry:
good luck Freo fans

Any team that defends as well as Fremantle has to be pretty ******* fit.

The problem is for Ballantyne...our defence is better this year. The first season we added run. The second season we added attack to the run. This season, the final piece - the endurance needed to add defence to the attack and run, slides into place.

That's where most blowouts are generated from. Being able to restrict scoring. Absorb the pressure and then attack when they are weak. They think adding run makes them a better team then us. Lyon is about to find out that there's more to Port Adelaide then just fitness, and Ballantyne will learn that he was never the difference between the two teams.

Both teams will be better across the board.If we can kick straight with the home ground advantage IMO we'll probably win by 2-3 gls.

Got to win these 4 games to set up our season with a good foundation that I hope will be Sydney, Hawks and Kanga's holding us up in the top 4 spot at the end of the year whilst we waltz through the rest of season defeating the teams we should.

It is a big task not coming out with out a scratch, but if we do, it will be the best start to a season ever with regards to the difficulty of the obstacles ahead.

I am not confident on this game, but logic says we should win, however its to close to call playing away even though we have been there before. Or is this played at there new stadium?

I don't feel like we are the hunted, we are the army with belief in abundance charging for that premiership after learning a lot from yesteryear.

Both teams will be better across the board.If we can kick straight with the home ground advantage IMO we'll probably win by 2-3 gls.

I hate to break it to you, but you ain't getting better across the board. Our improvement comes from the fact we still have much to learn. We're still accelerating to top speed. Our players still make rookie mistakes at times. Fremantle, on the other hand, is close to the edge, already at the limit. You made a grand final two years ago. Like Hawthorn, your improvement isn't so much getting better, but staying better for longer if that makes sense.

What it really all depends on is whether your improvement in fitness can negate our improvement in defence. Home stadium means nothing, the same way it doesn't when you play Geelong, Hawthorn or Sydney. When you're top four material, outside influences don't matter.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back