Injury/Rehab Injury/Niggle Management - w/ cptkirk

Remove this Banner Ad

Jumping and the following impact on the knee joint. Thats about it really, I don't have much faith in twisting motions either.

do you feel it between your thigh bone and lower leg bone or behind your knee cap. Can you please describe the pain too, an ache? shape ? generalized or pointed etc

do you feel it between your thigh bone and lower leg bone or behind your knee cap. Can you please describe the pain too, an ache? shape ? generalized or pointed etc

The pain is localised to the knee joint, its more infront/below than behind.
Generalised pain that is sharp on impact.

sound like your general patellofemoral issue...hit the foam roller on your itb's, quads and adductors and tennis in and around the hip flexor area...activate and strengthen the glutes in the gym...do both of these daily...you can continue running but only on grass and stop at any sign of pain...as you progress through the stuff above hopefully the pain takes longer to set in and eventually goes away

Ive had quite sensitive Achillies for a lot of my life (26year old) having to wear authotics and try and buy shoes with strong support due to flat feet. Ive always been very active and have had to manage any pain, which was easier when i was younger as it didnt actually stop me from doing any sport. After a long lay off through laziness and life (2 years) ive gotten back into my sports and running over the past year and found that last 3 months im having incredible difficulty backing up after a game or a run. Very stiff in the mornings and can get pain while walking, wouldnt even think of touching the general area due to senstivity.

Every therapist i mention it to treats any pain i have and says the same things. "Wear better shoes, dont run, come see me for a massage once a month".

Surely there are some actual preventitive work I could be doing, does anyone have any experience managing this area. Any excercises for strengthening etc.

a tough one the achillies - have any of your treatment people given any suggestions as to what actually causes it? flat feet wouldn't be it, not its own anyway and those orthotics are probably doing you worse then better

a tough one the achillies - have any of your treatment people given any suggestions as to what actually causes it? flat feet wouldn't be it, not its own anyway and those orthotics are probably doing you worse then better

flat feet and rolling in is normally the reason stated. The problem i find everyone i go see treats the symptom and not the underlying issue, or at least doesnt try to ascertain the underlying issue.

One thing that can affect the foot strike and "rolling in" of the feet (and subsequently the alignment and movement of all the muscles up the leg) is the alignment of your big toe. If you've even got a slight case of bunion with either big toe, it can affect things significantly and cause many flow-on issues and imbalances.

Last edited:
Ive had quite sensitive Achillies for a lot of my life (26year old) having to wear authotics and try and buy shoes with strong support due to flat feet. Ive always been very active and have had to manage any pain, which was easier when i was younger as it didnt actually stop me from doing any sport. After a long lay off through laziness and life (2 years) ive gotten back into my sports and running over the past year and found that last 3 months im having incredible difficulty backing up after a game or a run. Very stiff in the mornings and can get pain while walking, wouldnt even think of touching the general area due to senstivity.

Every therapist i mention it to treats any pain i have and says the same things. "Wear better shoes, dont run, come see me for a massage once a month".

Surely there are some actual preventitive work I could be doing, does anyone have any experience managing this area. Any excercises for strengthening etc.
Look up alfredson's eccentric heel rises for achilles tendons. Do that for 12 weeks, if it's a degenerative and chronic issue it should respond.

Strained my lower back few weeks ago and have severe soreness on a particular spot on the left side, been seeing the physio for a couple of sessions to try release the tension a bit but the sessions are only 30mins each and I think its helping but just wondering if booking an extra hour of deep tissue massage for my back would help speed up the recovery time? (should have asked physio but only thought of it now)

Would love to have this issue sorted by the end of the month when I start a full time desk job (as it hurts atm when I sit down for about an hour) and footy season also around the corner too.

Have backed off from doing lower back gym work or anything that puts a strain on it (ie: deadlifts and squats, my favs :( ) so only thing I do at the gym that may aggravate it is dumbell shoulder presses. Also still been to every footy training session, just stayed off contact work.

how did the pain start? treatment won't do anything if it's not treating the problem and unless you've literally been kicked in the back or something, the back usually compensates for something else

Think I first initially strained it after doing deadlifts.. but the thing is, wasnt just a one off incident where I can pinpoint a moment when I may have pinged it. Just a standard heavy back day and of course was sore the next couple of days which I just put down to DOMS.

Problem is it never fully recovered but also wasnt too debilitating so for a few weeks I kinda ignored it and continued lifting and footy training as normal just using a foam roller and plenty of deep heat which helps temporarily ease the pain a bit when it gets real sore.

Last week though its getting too sore to ignore so went to physio who confirmed Ive got a strain.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Well so far hes just tried to release the tension or whatever by digging in to the sore point (which fkin hurts) and then telling me to do glute, hip flexor and back stretches at home..

Luckily this physio is a sponsor of our footy club so I only have to fork out $10 a session (used to be free!) so I dont mind coming in as often, would be much more reluctant if it was the usual $60 a pop!

Going to see a physio next week but was wondering if I could get a heads up on what I'll expect.

If I put my back against the wall I can feel the back of my pelvis (just above my glutes) touching the wall.

I get lower back pain and sometimes while or after running, I get a stabbing pain in my glutes, like something is trying to stab through it.

there could be but that's not the problem, you're meant to have some pelvic tilt anyway

it doesn't hurt when you don't run so it's not the pelvic tilt but something else when you run which to me seems like the core and glutes can't transfer the force properly and stress moves to the lower back so work on those

there could be but that's not the problem, you're meant to have some pelvic tilt anyway

it doesn't hurt when you don't run so it's not the pelvic tilt but something else when you run which to me seems like the core and glutes can't transfer the force properly and stress moves to the lower back so work on those

I'll try to explain myself better. It hurts more after or while running or after gym, but can also hurt in everyday walking around.

The pain is mostly above the glutes, right where the back of the pelvis is, I don't know how else to explain it, other than it feels like the actual bone is causing the pain or the pain is the bone itself. The only time I get the pain in the actual glutes is very irregularly while or after doing running drills.

If I lie on my back and lift my legs up (tuck them to my chest for example), the back of my pelvis at two points are touching the ground, it just feels wrong and uncomfortable.

I know it's normal, but nobody I know seems to have it stick out the back this much

right now lie on your back with a tennis ball under your glutes/pelvis - on the muscle part...raise your knee to your chest and down...don't hold it, do reps of that and see what shakes free...obviuosly do both sides but 1 side at a time

ok guys I need advice. having completed a big preseason and getting myself finally fit I've had to take the last two weeks because of serious shin splints, haven't done a stress fracture luckily but I'm dam close to it.

went to a physio which has helped, she just had to touch my shin to realise how sore they were, its been 1 week off so far, and I'm going to take another week off and get back to training next week but in saying that any advice on how to overcome them is appreciated.

I've been given a stretching program by the physio and it seem to be working, my calf's have become extremely sore from it as expected.
I was told shin splints are cause by weaken muscles around the shin not able to support it and lack of flexibilty. so far so good but still don't know until I run on them next week.

what have you done to beat it just for more valid info.

i'd add in to train your feet

1 - kneeling on both knees but be right up your toes and push your wt back into your toes x 60secs

2 - seated and flex all toes up to the roof x 60secs

3 - tippy toe walk 2 - 3 x 10 - 20 steps/leg

4 - ankle jumps 2 x 10 - 20...jump using nothing but your feet and ankles so no knee or hip bend...they might cause pain so if they do leave them out

Remove this Banner Ad

Back