Preview AFL 2015 - Round 1

Remove this Banner Ad

I honestly believe this will be the most farcical season ever. Why?
  • The Essendon fiasco
  • The result of stupid AFL decisions to compete with league than create balance.
  • AFL Communism
  • Umpire control and bias getting worse.
With those four factors who can tell how the orchestration results?

YET, for all of that it is still a great game and one that I'm looking forward to.

Why wasn't Casboult picked by Carlton?
Had a dodgy steak?

It is odd. Henderson is an automatic selection and they've been talking Jones up all summer, so perhaps Casboult hasn't been up to that standard and they were happy with their structure without him.

I was pleased to see Clem Smith named. He'll be fun to watch.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Even in wet weather footy?

The more it rains the less likely it is that Cloke kicks a bag.

Rain will bring the smalls into the game more and Brisbane have a much better group of goal kicking smalls than the Pies.

The more it rains the less likely it is that Cloke kicks a bag.

Rain will bring the smalls into the game more and Brisbane have a much better group of goal kicking smalls than the Pies.
Would be interested to see our record in rain-affected matches. Would say it'd be in the lower range. The only win I can think of is the Suns game last season.

Cloke isn't really the worry anyway. It's more the other forwards like Karnezis, Gault, White chipping in with their goals.

Had a dodgy steak?

It is odd. Henderson is an automatic selection and they've been talking Jones up all summer, so perhaps Casboult hasn't been up to that standard and they were happy with their structure without him.

I was pleased to see Clem Smith named. He'll be fun to watch.

They can get better relief rucking from Rowe (who along with Simon White can swing forward if needed) and with Jones and Henderson up forward is there a need for a 3rd big boy? 3 big talls in round 1 which is often a fast scrappy intense game isn't always the best idea.
Jones plays better as the third key forward, seems strange not to have Casboult down there. HoneyBadger you might be onto something with that first sentence.

April fools was yesterday?
You haven't seen the Lions play. We'll stop your best forward, but let someone else kick 10. Same way with the midfield, we don't tag. We'll let Pendles rack up 40 touches and just count on one of our own to match it.

Don't know about Gold Coast. Dees only just lost to them last easter I think by around 8 points. Tempted to change my pick.

Carl v Rich - by 7
Melb v GC - by 16
Syd v Ess - by 28
Lions v Coll - by 9
Dogs v WCE - by 41
Saints v GWS - by 1
Ade v NM - 25
Freo v Port - by 20
Haw v Gee - 24

There's always at least a couple of upsets for round 1 so I'll go with and Pies and Roos this year.

Jones plays better as the third key forward, seems strange not to have Casboult down there. HoneyBadger you might be onto something with that first sentence.
Is there any evidence to that or is it just a footy cliche? His best season was alongside Hall. Did the dogs have a 3rd option? Most key forwards play better when they have more delivery. Although getting the 2nd defender helps. Sam Reid in the same forward line as Buddy and Tippo has been a disaster. Casboult and Henderson in the same forward line might see Jones struggling to get any one on ones and way up the ground. He'll still have Menzel as a marking target as well as a swingman/ruck forward at some times.

Jones will be playing on one of Chaplin or Batchelor right? Rance will go to Hendo surely. In that case if Carlton do well in the midfield he's every chance to do well. He can't blame lack of a 3rd tall as a reason for failure.

Don't know about Gold Coast. Dees only just lost to them last easter I think by around 8 points. Tempted to change my pick.
Lynch and Day missed a bunch of sitters. Game should've been over at half time. In the end we came back pretty well in the last quarter but we didn't deserve to win. Not sure if Gold Coast have enough outs to cover for their improvement and that game last year was round 5 or 6 I think maybe even later? We'd found some form by then as new guys settled in to positions and roles in the Roos game plan. I think it will take Melbourne a month again to find form this year, I just hope we hold it for longer and mount more wins this year.

Can't belive those who are tipping the Tigers tonight!
I reckon some people just drew names out of a barrel!

Blues
Wce
Roos
Freo
Cats
Suns
Lions
Saints
Swans

This is from someone who was in the top 20 of footytips.com.au last year mind you! 153 at the end of Round 23 2015...

Can't belive those who are tipping the Tigers tonight!
I reckon some people just drew names out of a barrel!

Blues
Wce
Roos
Freo
Cats
Suns
Lions
Saints
Swans

This is from someone who was in the top 20 of footytips.com.au last year mind you! 153 at the end of Round 23 2015...

Sorry that was in 2014

Remove this Banner Ad

Back