Best football school in Australia

Remove this Banner Ad

Has anyone analysed this years draft to work out what school they came from? I just did a quick google search and couldn't find info on it.

Not sure on any other school, but St. Pat's had 5 players this year. Makes 23 current players in the AFL. Pretty impressive.
Liam Duggan who was taken at pick 11 to West Coast Eagles is a St Patrick's College student and captained the College's 1st XVIII programme this year. He is beautifully balanced, has exceptional skills and won the prestigious Luke Mitchell award for the 2014 AIS programme (based on values and leadership) Liam is destined to follow in the footsteps of players like Drew Petrie, Matt Rosa and Brad Crouch and have a very long and successful AFL career. Liam was one of five players from the school drafted this year (12 in the last 3 years) and the school's reputation is certainly very positive within the football industry. It is anticipated that a further four or five players will be drafted in 2015 and add to the richness of the story created over 120 years ago. Tours to the United Kingdom (play a series of International Rules against the 3 Provinces of Ireland - Connacht, Munster and Leinster) the Northern Territory (play the U/18 State side whilst also playing an exhibition games in the Tiwi Islands) and to Melbourne on a 3 year cycle certainly add to the richness of the programme and provides the students/players with an opportunity to develop as young men of character and substance. The school has won the last 5 Herald Shield Titles (20 boys in this year's Herald Shield Team have been at the school since Year 7) and has 23 players on a 2015 AFL list and surely these numbers are comparable to any school within Australia. When you consider that both Sacred Heart Adelaide and St Kevin's College, Toorak both very talented football schools have 8 player's each on an AFL list in 2015, 23 is a staggering list and underlines the strength of the programme. The school surely sits very comfortably at the top of the pile when considering the candidates for the best school across Australia

Liam Duggan who was taken at pick 11 to West Coast Eagles is a St Patrick's College student and captained the College's 1st XVIII programme this year. He is beautifully balanced, has exceptional skills and won the prestigious Luke Mitchell award for the 2014 AIS programme (based on values and leadership) Liam is destined to follow in the footsteps of players like Drew Petrie, Matt Rosa and Brad Crouch and have a very long and successful AFL career. Liam was one of five players from the school drafted this year (12 in the last 3 years) and the school's reputation is certainly very positive within the football industry. It is anticipated that a further four or five players will be drafted in 2015 and add to the richness of the story created over 120 years ago. Tours to the United Kingdom (play a series of International Rules against the 3 Provinces of Ireland - Connacht, Munster and Leinster) the Northern Territory (play the U/18 State side whilst also playing an exhibition games in the Tiwi Islands) and to Melbourne on a 3 year cycle certainly add to the richness of the programme and provides the students/players with an opportunity to develop as young men of character and substance. The school has won the last 5 Herald Shield Titles (20 boys in this year's Herald Shield Team have been at the school since Year 7) and has 23 players on a 2015 AFL list and surely these numbers are comparable to any school within Australia. When you consider that both Sacred Heart Adelaide and St Kevin's College, Toorak both very talented football schools have 8 player's each on an AFL list in 2015, 23 is a staggering list and underlines the strength of the programme. The school surely sits very comfortably at the top of the pile when considering the candidates for the best school across Australia

Reinforces the real strength of country football.

To add to my above post, which states ST Pats proves the real strength of country football, or proportionally to city AFL draftees fights way above it's weight.

Many boarders at private schools in the city and i am talking Melbourne, Adelaide and Perth are from the country as well.

St Kevin's Toorak pretty good footy program. The APS is a strong school comp. When was there last school title won by St Kevs as I know they won it in 2009 I think..

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Yep, their scholarship program that denies the local kids a game is going strongly. Parents very upset they are subsidising these free loaders.
Interesting proposition. Amazing the amount pf large boys who wander into St Pats at Yr 11. Clinton talks about the amazng footy progtamme at St Pats, and it is, but i will gather some more realistic numbers shortly.

I dont know about now but in the past Assumption College Kilmore was a production line for VFL/AFL players.
I have been away from Victoria for too many years to comment on now but Assumption was a stunningly good football school when I lived in Victoria. I lived near Kilmore and I would regularly go and watch the Assumption team play and in many cases preferred the quality there to many VFL matches!

Just as an onlooker in school football across Victoria, no doubt Assumption and St Pats are very strong, especially in the last decade. In the APS despite not having a very strong side in recent times, you have to admit in terms of quality, Xavier College are superior to most schools. Jobe Watson (Brownlow), Dan Hannebery (Rising Star), Ted Richards, Josh Kennedy, Matt Spangher, Patrick Ambrose, Luke Ball (retired).

Just as an onlooker in school football across Victoria, no doubt Assumption and St Pats are very strong, especially in the last decade. In the APS despite not having a very strong side in recent times, you have to admit in terms of quality, Xavier College are superior to most schools. Jobe Watson (Brownlow), Dan Hannebery (Rising Star), Ted Richards, Josh Kennedy, Matt Spangher, Patrick Ambrose, Luke Ball (retired).
As you say, XC have been not so strong in recent times. Brighton this year look pretty solid. Players missing due to championships can have a bearing. e.g Theo Thompson for Caulfield etc. Still a reasonable standard though.

As you say, XC have been not so strong in recent times. Brighton this year look pretty solid. Players missing due to championships can have a bearing. e.g Theo Thompson for Caulfield etc. Still a reasonable standard though.

I think the advantage has been for Brighton not having any VM reps this year (Matera left the school)& they only had Clayton miss 2 games last yr when they won the premiership, meaning they have the same balance squads, where as others who have 4-5 VM/VC players, struggle with massive changes every second week and possibly relying too much on the stars.

It also depends on who you play during those carnival rounds, those schools who lose 4-5 would rather play Carey than play a St Kevins/Scotch for example.

I think the coach has a bit part in how well sides do, no doubt Melbourne Grammar have been strong for the last 5-6 years, but really should have won more premierships.

For the record, Trinity Grammar have one of, if not, the best record for producing AFL footballers in the country. Trinity may not be as successful as schools such as Xavier or Scotch, but part of that is because of the division which schools are put into. Trinity goes into the AGSV, which is considered, to an extent, a different standard than the APS, so it is very hard to tell which school would come out fair and square on top.

I think the advantage has been for Brighton not having any VM reps this year (Matera left the school)& they only had Clayton miss 2 games last yr when they won the premiership, meaning they have the same balance squads, where as others who have 4-5 VM/VC players, struggle with massive changes every second week and possibly relying too much on the stars.

It also depends on who you play during those carnival rounds, those schools who lose 4-5 would rather play Carey than play a St Kevins/Scotch for example.

I think the coach has a bit part in how well sides do, no doubt Melbourne Grammar have been strong for the last 5-6 years, but really should have won more premierships.

Fair comment. Played BGS last year without Vic Metro reps - all 3 drafted and were the leadership group.. Also had Langford and Drummond drafted. 5 in a year not bad. Merrett, Roberts, Langdon , May all recent MGS boys. 4 Vic metro players this year weakens team but still beat Hailebury. Big game this week
without rep players against St Kevins. Shaun Edwards might debut for Essendon this week.

Maribyrnong College with the sports academy are pretty strong, regulary win the state high school titles.

Also very close matches when they play an annual match v St.pats college each year.

Not sure why Maribyrnong aren't part of the herald sun shield or the high school premier football comp ??

Remove this Banner Ad

Back