Tasmanian Football Thread Part 2

Remove this Banner Ad

My club ( Vic Metro) is seeking an experienced ruckman for 2014 season - remuneration negotiable possible employment also - PM if any interest

NEFU on the brink of collapse and wanting crisis talks for the survival of country footy more broadly. My guess is that if the NEFU disappeared it would also be the end of St Helens. It is hard to imagine them getting enough players for a 4 hour round trip to Launceston roughly every third week.

http://www.examiner.com.au/story/2397354/football-crisis/?cs=96

Footy in tas is going down hill sorry to say comps are to lopsided to many floggings there will be more teams fold in the next few year coz they can't keep up.sad day day for tassie footy when team fold

This board seems as dead as the local footy

Home sick found some old tfl grand finals on you tube, with big crowds at north hobart, and a random round 18 summary on tas tv on the sunday sports show back when i was little cared as much about clarence as i did the afl, now its hard to find anything about the local game

Maybe this isnt the right thread

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I can't tell which thread I'm meant to be using! But given this is part 2, I guess I'll post here.

I was really just hoping someone could give me an update on what's gone down with the NEFU. Growing up in Tassie, I had friends and family who played for Bridport, and I used to go to heaps of games, so the NEFU is sort of my 'home' league.

Having left Tassie 7 years ago I'm not as engaged as I once was - in fact I completely fell away from it as my family left the club (due to age and deaths and people moving away).

So it was with some shock and sadness tonight that I read that Branxholm have folded... which led me down the rabbit hole of discovering the outrageous amount of attrition in the NEFU over the last few years.

I'd love to ask some questions if others know the answers:

- I guess Ringarooma folding was due to that brawl with Lilydale. But were they formally expelled, or did they just lose a heap of players as a result? You'd think there'd be a feeling of unfinished business among players after they lost their last GF.

- And then Lilydale left the next year having just won the premiership. Did they just feel as though they'd outgrown NEFU? Or was this also related to the Ringarooma brawl?

- And as I said, I've discovered tonight that the premier has hit the wall in Branxolm. This seems like a bit of a breaking story, and I guess we'll get the same old story about the lack of players - I just find that so hard to believe in the wake of a senior premiership.

- Is the league likely to fold? I guess it's too close to this season to fold the league - but what do you see happening to these teams next season? From memory the NTFA is about the only other league left in the north-east isn't it? Even to div 2, is that a reasonable step up? And is asking Winnaleah and St Helens/East Coast to travel to Launceston every second week just going to result in them folding?

I know this is happening around the country. In fact I know it's happening in other leagues just in Tassie after reading about Fingal's 5 minutes to midnight 'recess'. I guess it's just a bit sadder when these are the teams that you grew up watching, when you played with the players kids, and when you stood in the friggen Tasmanian snow to engage with these teams.

Last edited:
I can't tell which thread I'm meant to be using! But given this is part 2, I guess I'll post here.

I was really just hoping someone could give me an update on what's gone down with the NEFU. Growing up in Tassie, I had friends and family who played for Bridport, and I used to go to heaps of games, so the NEFU is sort of my 'home' league.

Having left Tassie 7 years ago I'm not as engaged as I once was - in fact I completely fell away from it as my family left the club (due to age and deaths and people moving away).

So it was with some shock and sadness tonight that I read that Branxholm have folded... which led me down the rabbit hole of discovering the outrageous amount of attrition in the NEFU over the last few years.

I'd love to ask some questions if others know the answers:

- I guess Ringarooma folding was due to that brawl with Lilydale. But were they formally expelled, or did they just lose a heap of players as a result? You'd think there'd be a feeling of unfinished business among players after they lost their last GF.

- And then Lilydale left the next year having just won the premiership. Did they just feel as though they'd outgrown NEFU? Or was this also related to the Ringarooma brawl?

- And as I said, I've discovered tonight that the premier has hit the wall in Branxolm. This seems like a bit of a breaking story, and I guess we'll get the same old story about the lack of players - I just find that so hard to believe in the wake of a senior premiership.

- Is the league likely to fold? I guess it's too close to this season to fold the league - but what do you see happening to these teams next season? From memory the NTFA is about the only other league left in the north-east isn't it? Even to div 2, is that a reasonable step up? And is asking Winnaleah and St Helens/East Coast to travel to Launceston every second week just going to result in them folding?

I know this is happening around the country. In fact I know it's happening in other leagues just in Tassie after reading about Fingal's 5 minutes to midnight 'recess'. I guess it's just a bit sadder when these are the teams that you grew up watching, when you played with the players kids, and when you stood in the friggen Tasmanian snow to engage with these teams.

Ringarooma folding was unrelated to brawl. It had more to do with a lack of local players in the side, dropping attendances and paying good money to mostly average (although some were very good) Launceston players, who would play, shower and leave. The rot probably set in years prior when Foon was given coaching duties ahead of better liked local candidates.

Lilydale shifting to the NTFA was a no-brainer IMO. Most of their players are Launceston or Lilydale based, so the move would have cut down on travel and made it easier to attract players. They probably also saw the decline of the NEFU and moved while they had the chance.

Branxholm is similar to Ringarooma- although I think about half of their side last year were local players. They weren't helped this year by serious injuries to their coach and better players.

In answer to your questions- no idea what happens from here. Bridport and Scottsdale could probably field teams in the NTFA Div 2- not sure about Winnaleah or St Helens. Their location may harm their chances.

I think it is all a symptom of the economy- when forestry left, football was sure to follow.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back