Autopsy Post match discussion Pies vs Saints

Remove this Banner Ad

Not enough love for Oxley. This guy will be our Malceski, just give him some more game time and you will see.

As for Broomhead, I can't really say anything but that I have a man crush on him and I don't care.

This young talent is more exciting than I have ever seen, just give us 2-3 seasons.

Exactly. People can write us off but those who can see the bigger picture know what this list will be capable of in 2-3 seasons time.

Add Scharenberg, Moore, Freeman, De Goey, Kennedy, Witts and Maynard. Exciting times.

Caption this:

916279-609b7fd4-e502-11e4-9321-13d21702e16c.jpg
Let's swap brownlows later

Good win, but it needs to be weighed against what appeared to be a one quarter opponent.

Varcoe did a fantastic impersonation of Rioli (some of his tackling was sublime), Crisp was channeling Mundy after quarter time, Ramsay looked a mini Heath Shaw in patches and Frost was Scarlettesque. When lesser players like that are putting a team to the sword you know the pressure just isn't there from the opposition. Then we have Swan, an underdone Pendles, Grundy and Broomhead (who got into plenty of dangerous positions and wasn't used) largely being allowed to do as they pleased which unfortunately won't happen v Essendon.

I did enjoy our ball handling last night, but it also rammed home that difference in pressure between this week and last. We were cleaner in the wet than we were under lights at Etihad which indicates we can't yet deal with an opponent that presses us hard. You get a month of performances like that from the group and things can shift, but with our current group resting on our laurels is always a possibility.

The one iron clad positive to come out of that match was no injuries which allows the 22 to largely move forward together.

Tooveys disposal is horrible and it's been that way for some time. I've wondered how he escapes criticism when others seems to cop so much of it.
So many times he's rebounding from the backline and just roosts it down the wing, usually straight down the throat of an opposition defender.

So lol@me for badmouthing him, I guess.

Toovey receives plenty of criticism. We all know he can't kick. But everything else about him is just so damn good. If he could just become an adequate kick he would be an absolute champion. Sadly he has had plenty of time to fix this so I feel it is what it is.

Really impressed with the likes of Broomhead, Crisp and Dwyer. Varcoe was great.

Calm down, we played the reigning wooden spooners. Lets enjoy the win but really i want to see us perform next week against good opposition. Thats where we find out where we stand.

We should be under no illusions where we are. We're a 9-12 team at the moment.

Compared to other "developing" sides like St.Kilda, we'll probably have their measure.

It's against the more seasoned, experienced and developed teams (like Adelaide) where we'll struggle.

Essendon should be warm favourites next week.

Toovey is one of our best one on one defenders and can play small or tall, easily best 22. Always thought Goldsack should play back, his defensive pressure is immense and he should have slotted into the Nick Maxwell role right from the beginning.
Goldy taking the kick ins made a big difference, he hit up all his targets medium and long, no short kicks coming out was interesting

Toovey is one of our best one on one defenders and can play small or tall, easily best 22. Always thought Goldsack should play back, his defensive pressure is immense and he should have slotted into the Nick Maxwell role right from the beginning.
Mightn't last but I agree with you for once.:)

Grundy has become super-impressive. So competitive around the ground and some of his ruck work is first class. Crisp just kept getting it and his size and bulk give him presence at the contest. Broomhead for the first time impressed me with his skill to the point where I believe he will be more useful for us than Dawes. Swan showed he still has lot's to give the team. Oxley and Ramsey both justified their early round selections. All in all a thoroughly satisfying win. The only negative is I forgot to do my footy tips. A win that should take pressure off Buckley for some time.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Same effort as last week.. maybe a little more, but the execution of skills and decision making was increased tenfold.

Swanny was popping up everywhere for the contested ball. Such a good performance from him.

Broomhead has a lot of sidebottom about him

You blokes were just dominant after the first 15 minutes. Our pressure was non-existent and when you pump it inside 50 77 times, you're not going to lose often.

Anyway just dropped in to say how impressed I was with Broomhead, Langdon and Oxley.

Langdon makes such good decisions. Sensational drafting getting him so late in the draft, ya pricks ;)

Bit of a cheap shot at the kid. Its his first game and I'm sure a certain Dean Polo could explain the relevance of a players first game effecting the way their career pans out.

He's a massive kid in his first game, on a wet MCG, playing for a team that got flogged. Yeah he had a few unforced errors, but really, who cares?
No cheap shot. I would have been so disappointed if we had of picked him up and that was his first game for us. We have been spoilt here at the pies with some fantastic debuts over the years. Ok he worked his way into the game late, it was wet, you come in at the very last minute as a replacement for your captain. Its not the ideal prep for anyone. Just calling it how i saw it. Not saying he is going to be a bust or anything. But did remind me of what we did to Jack Watts a few years ago.

This team is going to be unreal in 2-3 years. We just need to keep pumping games into the kids. We will beat some good sides this year but inconsistency will see us drop games against bottom 4 sides. Keep the faith supporters - Buckley is on the right track.

What was the final frees for and against from last nights game?

A lot of conjecture over the scumps last night on the Saints board.
Probably like we feel most weeks, I must admit we did get the rub of the green and especially Pendles and Cloke.
On more than one occasion Pendles seemed to drop the knees out and cop a high one, not generally a fan of this but he was putting his head over the ball which has been a slight on him previously.

Finally Cloke got some cheapies which all the other forwards get week in and week out. If only he could fix the gimme goals he will dominate again. It is coming I think and he is due for a day out sooner than later.

Also good to see Grundy getting some frees although he gave a couple away too.

Happy with that win. We should be expected to beat a Riewoldt-less St Kilda, but the manner in which we did was impressive. Can't be ignored that we did it with kids like Crisp, Grundy, Broomhead, Oxley, Elliott, Seedsman, Langdon, Ramsay, Williams, Gault, Karnezis and Frost. More than half of our team were kids.

Fantastic to see old man Swanny back in form, just in time for ANZAC Day! With our midfield depleted we really needed him to step it up & he did so and then some. Pendles was great too, most players wouldn't have even made it out on the field in his condition, but he did and performed well. An unquestionably great leader.

The spread of goalkickers was encouraging, as was Jamie and Trav kicking bags. Trav could have kicked 10 as we know, but you'll take 5.4.

All in all a good performance, no injuries & depending on what happens in the VFL some upcoming headaches at the selection table. Add in Reid, Sidebottom, Adams, Greenwood, Witts & others and we're a finals contender.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back