Review R3: Port v North Melbourne Review

Remove this Banner Ad

Kane Mitchell :hearts:
----------------------------------
OVERVIEW
You bloody beauty! What a way to notch up our first win for 2015, a tight nail biter against North! You little ripper!

What a game of footy this was! Game of the season to date in my opinion. From the frenetic start to the game in the first quarter with bodies flying everywhere, to the North come back and us holding on for dear life in the last quarter, this will be a replay I will watch numerous times.

I thought our midfield was pretty special tonight. Ryder in the ruck was huge and gave us some clinical clearances to our smalls. Ebert and Wines were great, as was Gray in the second half. Hartlett was as good as anyone when it mattered. Young shouldn't play SANFL again.

Pittard has been a revelation this year. Was huge all night, as was Broady. Our backline as a whole I thought did very well despite the fact we gave up 100 points. Carlile & Hombsch had great games too.

I thought North hurt us on the rebound quite a lot and we gave them too much space through the middle of the ground to get it forward quickly. On the flip side though I thought our counter attack was a major reason why we won. Our small forwards had a good night out, worked bloody hard, especially Gus.

The selections worked. Youngy gave us that crucial 2nd string clearance winner that we'd been missing in the first two rounds. Was just about our best player. Krakouer had a wonderful return to AFL football. Mitchell kicks the winner and I loved Arch's cameo in the last quarter. Some crucial tackles and a wonderful assist to Young for the match winner.

Before this we were 2-7 over the last 12 months in games decided by under 10 points. This will hopefully be the kick start we need to get back on track towards finals.

Port Adelaide proud baby!

PLAYER REVIEWS
The Best

Pittard - What a revelation he has been this year. In fact, ever since the Sydney SCG game last year he has been one of our most consistent and underrated footballers. Had a fantastic finals series last year and has started the year with a bang in 2015. Now has the confidence when he takes the game on to make the correct decisions. Barely put a foot wrong tonight and when he did make a mistake, he generally covered it perfectly within seconds. Provided crucial rebound, great foot skills and a wonderful goal in the 2nd quarter. Jump on board the Pittard train, if there's any room left!

Young - Been wanting one of our 2nd tier mids to stand up and be that crucical chop out clearance winner and Youngy has now become that player. His best game of AFL football. Was an absolute beast at the stoppages, Ryder picked him out numerous times and his follow up disposal was also very good. Kicked the winner in the last quarter. Deserves to be a main stay in the AFL line up now.

Hombsch - Not a lot of the ball, but the defensive job he did on Waite who kicked a bag last week, was absolutely critical to this victory. Just didnt give Waite a sniff all night, kept up with him on the lead, spoiled strongly and had a couple of big runs from defence that turned into goals. His best game for the season to date.

Ryder - Whilst Goldstein had big hitout numbers, he didnt have anywhere near the influence of Paddy in the Ruck. It was a fantastic battle, two wonderful Ruckmen at their peak and for me, Paddy was one of the most valuable players on the ground. His ability to get us the ball, especially at the centre stoppage after goals was something we've struggled with in the first two rounds. He found Young, Hartlett and especially Gray late in the game. Would have been close to BOG had he slotted that goal.

Broadbent - The Cobra! Has had a good start to the year but that was one of his best ever games tonight. A huge first quarter and whilst they tightened up on him after quarter time, he was still able to impact regularly throughout the game, finishing in that wonderful goal from outside 50 in the last. Is arguably our most important player down back with his ability to read the play, his pace and his abillity to use the ball effectively coming out of the defensive 50.

The Rest
Ebert - Just a star again with some great link up play across half back and ended up with 3 goals going forward as well. Had a huge first quarter before North moved Atley onto him and he struggled to break free for a little while there. Thought he had a great last quarter and was one of the main reasons we got over the line. Unlucky not to be in the top 5.

Schulz - After a sluggish start to the year, that was the response I wanted from Schulzy! 4 goals, strong leading, straight kicking, hard running, hard hitting. He did everything tonight. Great game!

Hartlett - I feel his game will be underrated. I thought he was one of our most valuable players on the ground. A lot of the stuff he did in close was outstanding. Lovely little gives, good blocks, was able to get his hands on the ball at the stoppages and drove us inside 50 numerous times. Best game of the year to date.

Wines - Was heading for one of our best on ground again until he injured himself. Hard to really tell what happened or how it happened but he looked in considerable pain on the bench and after the game. Has turned into such a great outside player to compliment his inside game. Some really nice kicks inside 50.

Boak - It seemed he struggled to break free for much of the night but went bang in that last quarter with one of the memorable captains efforts just when we needed it most. He was a bit below his best in the first 2 rounds of 2014 before going nuts in round 3 so hoepfully this is the kick start he needs for his season to return to his incredible best. Willed us over the line. Brilliant.

Monfries - Just like 2014, Gus gave North numerous headaches. Unlike 2014, he stayed fit for the whole game! Thought he was wonderful in his defensive pressure up forward and to end up with 2 goals was fair reward. Should have had at least one more with that stuff up in the goal square.

Wingard - Thought his influence was better than his stats will say. Thought he always looked dangerous up forward and worked hard up the field as well.

Gray - Minimal influence in the first half but like his Captain, he went nuts in that last quarter to ensure we got over the line. Just clearance after clearance at crucial stages. I reckon he'll get plenty of BnF votes in this one.

Carlile - That bump! I could see that another 100 times and not get tired of it. Thought defensively he was very good. Whilst Petrie got a bit of it, the majority of it was further up the field, Bobby kept him well in check closer to goal. One of our best. That bump!

Westhoff - Thought once again he struggled for influence. Couldnt do much up forward and outside of a couple of marks in defence, was kept completely out of the play.

White - In terms of best team man, this guy should win the votes hands down for this round. Hurt early, was limping all day but some of the goals he kicked were excellent. Ran and ran and ran despite struggling to do so. Much respect Whitey. A true Port Adelaide performance.

Mitchell - Nothing makes me happier than seeing Kane Mitchell kick the sealer. I thought he was solid tonight. Not a lot of the ball, but defensively did a decent job and was always busy around the packs and up forward. Found himself in a back pocket where he was exploited a couple of times late. But that sealer. Great to see him do that after the Essendon miss last year.

Polec - Wasn't allowed a lot of space and put in one of the worst tackling performances i've seen.

Krakouer - I reckon I would have shed a tear had he kicked that goal. Had a shaky first effort at the ball which coughed up a goal but outside of that, he went 100% at it and came off best more often than not. Looked completely at home with the pace of the game, which was good to see considering how fast it was. Really pleased with his performance and can't see him coming out of the team next week.

Trengove - Given the run around by Brown then had Petrie all over him as well. Couldnt catch a break tonight.

Jonas - Was ok on Thomas in the first half and thought he had a huge influence in the last quarter. Not a lot of stats, but was good as anyone when it mattered.

Ah Chee - What a baptism of fire! To come into the game with the result on the line, I thought he had some real crucial touches. A great tackle in the centre when the ball looked like coming free to a North player, a great handball to Young for the sealer. Didn't look out of place out there at all.

POTY Votes
9 - Pittard
8 - Young, Hombsch, Ryder, Broadbent, Ebert, Carlile
7 - Schulz, Hartlett, Wines, Monfries, White
6 - Boak, Gray, Krakouer, Jonas
5 - Wingard, Mitchell
3 - AhChee, Trengove, Westhoff
2 - Polec

Last edited:

Lucky to get that win. Those wins when you play terrible are still wins! But a pretty hollow victory really. Especially seeing wines
turn it up it was a cracking win. played well against a pretty handy side on a ground we barely win at.

it was a great win.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

2v1n0ud.jpg

Robbie Gray, makes things happen.
Boaky struggled early but found something in the second half.
Youngy is definitely an AFL player.
Ryder starting to get some better touch in the ruck. Getting me excited. Can't wait to see him work with Lobbe.
Mitchell - thank you for kicking that goal. You frustrate me to no end and I think you should only be used as sub, but I can't question your ability to handle pressure - that's your biggest kick in the AFL without a doubt and you kicked truly.
Pittard still has his brain farts but is growing as a footballer. I'd be scared to see how much run we could generate without him in the team.
That was a huge game by broady and Ebo as well.
My heartrate still hasnt dropped. Great to get a win on the board. About ****ing time we beat those ****s!

Was a lucky win in the end. Kept fighting and got the four points. But what happened to this disposal efficiency that we were hearing about all summer? How many times did we scrub the kick going forward when our players have space and time to steady?

Wines is a huge downer. Please be no break.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back