General Media Grievances and Thumbs Down

Remove this Banner Ad

I love Jonno Brown, but he really needs to stop saying 'we' and 'our' when talking about the Brisbane Lions. He's not a player any more, and although everyone will always associate him with the club and know where his allegiances lie, it really takes away from his argument when he's saying 'we really need to get up this year', or 'we've got some nice new recruits', or 'our forward line needs another big name'.

He still works there though doesn't he?

There was a moment today during the Crows - Dees match that I thought was interesting. Dunstall was talking after a goal, trying to make a point and about half way through Mark Riccuito just cut in and started talking about something else as if he couldn't even hear Dunstall. I think it just proves one of the biggest problems in commentary. The guys doing it (admittedly, some more often than others) are not listening to each other. It is the root of many problems. Repetition, mangled sentences, rhetorical questioning.

I love Jonno Brown, but he really needs to stop saying 'we' and 'our' when talking about the Brisbane Lions. He's not a player any more, and although everyone will always associate him with the club and know where his allegiances lie, it really takes away from his argument when he's saying 'we really need to get up this year', or 'we've got some nice new recruits', or 'our forward line needs another big name'.

I think that's okay for the first year, but after that, there should never be a "we" for commentators.

Damian Barrett should at least watch games of football if he is going to write a 'sliding doors' column every week (which usually doesn't really fit the definition of the phrase).

Apparently this week, if there was one good thing to come out of West Coasts loss to Fremantle, it was that Mark LeCras fired...yes, 4 last quarter goals when you're 10 goals down is 'firing' now. He kicked his 1st at the 13 minute mark of the third term, to bring the margin back to 70 points. I think it's fair to say Fremantle stopped, rather than West Coast started winning the contest on merit.

And with his top notch journalism skills, his other 'sliding doors' regarded Chapman and Yarran meeting in a dark alley-way, it would be 'unacceptable' for the Lions to be 0-4, a hypothetical about Puopolo running into a umpire during the game, and if one of Richmond's best players (Cotchin) plays well, Richmond are good, but if he doesn't, Richmond aren't so good!

half time analysis on fox. king, brown and lynch all telling each other what they've seen from the game. then vision of what they said appears. usually in a conversation the listener will engage, nod. these 3 are like statues when listening, waiting for their chance to talk about whats on their notes.

The afl.com.au video with Dixon, browny and the duck is a waste of time. There is nothing to be achieved out of watching it except watch a D grade footy person banter with two disgraced flogs forgiven for invalid reasons

I don't how other people feel but, I wish that Anthony Hudson (when calling on TV) would give the expert commentators time to say something. I also would prefer him to not yell as well.

I don't how other people feel but, I wish that Anthony Hudson (when calling on TV) would give the expert commentators time to say something. I also would prefer him to not yell as well.

Agree, he makes it all about him - he does not shut up and his propensity to SCREAM and SHOUT at anything even moderately exciting is extremely grating.

To be honest, I've never really seen the fuss about him.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

A pretty minor one (and it's SEN) but FMD. This is the type of mistake I see from grade 10 dropouts when they're ranting about halal on Facebook.

SEN's Joshua Papanikolaou quoting a Liam Pickering interview.

“I can’t understand the booing, and I don’t know why it’s happening,” said Pickering.

“People are aloud to do what they like but it doesn’t make any sense to me.

I know communications and journalism degrees are pretty low rung these days, but aloud for allowed?

It actually makes me wonder what Robbo would be like without the benefit of a sub-editor.

Is it just me, or are commentators for both networks starting to complain more and more about umpires all the time?

Seems like more and more they are just arguing about umpire decisions that happened 5 minutes ago while play continues to go on. This is worst at Fox Footy I think, it just seems like they are drinking their own bath water and think they know everything. I know everyone likes to potshot umpires but it's getting annoying when they take the focus off the play to just complain about officiating.

Keep doing your job and leave the umpire bashing to the fans.

Is it just me, or are commentators for both networks starting to complain more and more about umpires all the time?

Seems like more and more they are just arguing about umpire decisions that happened 5 minutes ago while play continues to go on. This is worst at Fox Footy I think, it just seems like they are drinking their own bath water and think they know everything. I know everyone likes to potshot umpires but it's getting annoying when they take the focus off the play to just complain about officiating.

Keep doing your job and leave the umpire bashing to the fans.
The game is becoming more and more over-umpired, and at the same time, there are often crucial moments of the match being ruined by poor umpire calls. The rules are constantly chopped and changed and the umpiring is unpredictable. The commentators have a right to comment on such issues, but perhaps the problem isn't that commentators are complaining more often, but that more unjustifiable and poorly thought out decisions are taking place.

I don't particularly like any commentator (apart from Huddo), but they're useful in that they bring to attention issues that need rectifying or focus. If the commentators consistently criticise the umpiring, then yeah, maybe they're just finding issues for the sake of it - or maybe their complaints will shine a spotlight on a key issue with the game that the AFL can't ignore.

What's with the constant adding of the words "footy/football club" to the end of team names when reference is made to them by commentators?

E.g., "great play there by the Melbourne Football Club", "the coach of the Carlton footy club now joins us" etc. Just say "Melbourne" or "Carlton"?

It has dawned on me in the last few weeks, that I've actually been successful in something I in all likelihood thought was not possible.

I've stopped listening to the footy media, or more specifically, all the ambulance chasing scum that infect it.

Now, I don't want to pass comment on the ASADA scandal itself (there is a whole cesspit of a board for that), but I'd gotten to the point of genuinely despising people like Caroline Wilson, Damian Barrett etc etc. And yet there seemed to be no escaping their garbage commentary.

I'd still click on that Age article, still read that imbeciles 'sliding doors' column.

But over the last couple of weeks it has occurred to me that I have escaped this collection of virulent scum.

More and more I notice commentary such as 'Caro at it again' and I realise I have absolutely no idea what they are talking about, because I haven't been on The Age website for months.

I haven't watched Footy Classified in more than a year. Don't watch the Footy Show, AFL 360 or any other footy show that involves any sort of opinion commentary.

I hear today that Rebecca Wilson has said something daft, and yet I can barely remember what that thing looks like let alone have heard anything it says.

It turns out, it is actually possible to follow the game, be up to date with real news without having to listen to the horseshit opinions and verbal diarrhea of people that really don't know, appreciate or understand the game anywhere near as well as you or I do.

I'd encourage you to try it.

This is less about the actual media and more about how the players respond to the media.

Every ******* interview I watch with players has the same reply: "Yeah, definitely".

Seriously. Go onto your club's website and watch an interview with a player. Go onto AFL.com.au and watch an interview with a player.

"Yeah, definitely".

This is less about the actual media and more about how the players respond to the media.

Every ******* interview I watch with players has the same reply: "Yeah, definitely".

Seriously. Go onto your club's website and watch an interview with a player. Go onto AFL.com.au and watch an interview with a player.

"Yeah, definitely".

Yeah, no doubt

Remove this Banner Ad

Back