Conspiracy Theory The Conspiracy Theorist's Playbook

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sep 22, 2011
Your girlfriend's dreams
AFL Club
Essendon
I've always been fairly interested in conspiracy theories and have read a fair bit about them, from the fairly thought out and constructed, to the absolutely absurd.

The proponents of your more "imaginative" theories are always the most insistent. Nothing will ever challenge the validity of their theory, which will be argued with boundless energy and indignation. But good arguing required tactics.

Throughout my reading I've come across some pretty consistent tactics used by conspiracy theorists to push their agenda. I've summarised and shared them here as I think they can help anybody when they're weighing up a theory. For me I find they provide a bit of lens with which to look at the behaviour of the CTist. I find that when I start to see a few of these tactics in regular use, it's a good indicator that I'm on a road to nowhere: a theory which makes no logical sense, and an adversary who will never shift their "opinion", come hell or high logic.

So feel free to have a read / comment if you're so inclined. Obviously these don't apply to all theories or theorists, they're just some common trends I've picked up.

1. The inverted "use" of evidence - or lack thereof

CTists rarely produce credible evidence that their theory is actually true - rather, they tend to strike at any weakness in the "official story" - taking any slight gap in evidence that something occurred, and use that as hard evidence that the opposite (their conspiracy) did occur.

This isn't how proper use of evidence works - a lack of evidence that something occurred doesn't automatically itself become hard evidence that the opposite occurred... except in the mind of conspiracy theorists.

2. The internet as a bible

It's revolutionised many aspect of life, and it's no different for the CTist. It's given a worldwide audience for their theories, and allowed networking with each other across the planet.

There is, of course, nothing at all wrong with this - it's the benefits the internet offers us all. Suffice to say however, nobody owns the internet (well not according to them, but anyway) - anybody and everybody can upload whatever they like, and thus everything must be treated with caution, and some things with the proverbial grain of salt.

One simple way to think of the web is as the digitised version of everything we used to have - the man handing it out his leaflets outside Flinders St station 20 years ago now merely uploads it to his website.

Ask a conspiracy theorist for reliable evidence however, and you'll invariably be bombarded by endless links to websites written by god knows who - an endless supply of unknown kooks, spivs, bullshit artists, imbeciles, the impossibly bored and the possibly insane. As if it means something.

"It's on the internet? It must be true!"

3. Intellectual and social condescension

CTists will talk down to people who question their theories, attempting to present as deep thinking intellectuals who are simply smarter and more inquisitive than everybody else. Hopefully it'll bring people over to their views - nobody wants to be on the stupid team, do they?

You've heard them all - sheep, sheeple, brainless masses under government control, proles, luddites, simpletons... etc.

4. It's part of the cover-up!!!

Found some hard facts that you're convinced will skewer a conspiracy theory?

Don't bother.

You see, in the world of the conspiracy theorist, there are two types of facts - those that support the theory, and those that don't. Yet funnily enough, they both have the same impact - in the mind of the CTist, they both strengthen his case.

Something supporting the theory is obviously welcomed eagerly. Something that doesn't support it, well that's fine, because it simply becomes part of the conspiracy anyway - and in fact further "proof" of it!

Of course that fact you've found is presented the way it is - they want you to believe that! They've manufactured it to convince the sheeple! It's part of the cover-up!

So don't bother - far from disproving anything, your facts will simply be used to bolster the conspiracy by virtue of "proving" a cover-up.

This is the basic reason why you CANNOT win an argument with a CTist: a conspiracy theory can never be wrong - only bigger, and more far-reaching.

Which leads to the next point...

5. The endlessly expanding conspiracy

One thing you'll notice about conspiracy theories - although their proponents are trying desperately to spread the word, those directly or indirectly involved are all, to a man, forever like-minded people determined to pull the wool over the eyes of the masses. This can include a few people, dozens of people, thousands of people... it doesn't matter how many, they're all in on it, and not a single one of them has a conscience for truth, nor has anybody EVER slipped up in the keeping up of the official story (ie, followed basic human nature).

The bigger the story, the more "insiders" there are. Take the grandfather of them all, the JFK assassination. Do a bit of reading and you'll soon see that CTists have implicated, amongst others: Kruschev / Russia, Castro / Cuba, Cuban rebels hellbent on revenge, the Secret Service, the FBI, the CIA, the State Department, the ONI, senior and mid-level military leaders, the Italian Mafia, the weapons manufacturing industry, LBJ, Nixon, southern white democrats, the wider Democrat party, a posse of unnamed yet influential southern businessmen, the Republican Party, RFK (the man's brother...), a mysterious group of rich Dallas closet homosexuals led by Clay Shaw, the Dallas police, Jack Ruby, local and national media, Chief Justice Earl Warren and his investigatory board, unidentified tramps...

You get the picture. All these people (and more) either knocked JFK or helped cover it up. Hell, Lee Harvey Oswald might have had a hand it in as well. Not that he or any of the other thousands of conspirators have ever admitted or leaked anything.

There's so many players that in the interests of cinematic expediency, poor Oliver Stone had to use a couple of fictional characters (Willie O'Keefe and the infamous "Mr X") to merge all the allegations together - there's no way this cast was fitting into a single script.

Who killed JFK? What you really need to ask is... who didn't kill JFK?

6. Smokebombing

On that rare occasion many CTists are cornered by pesky logic, you'll see there won't be an answer or admission either way - it'll simply be ignored, and before you can say "Care to answer my question?", they'll have slipped off to some other, completely unrelated tangent, arguing with another person. Harder to pin down than Gary Ablett Jr, and perhaps of similar mind to Gary Ablett Sr.

7. Question everything. EVERYTHING.

The initial motus operandi of any CTist is to plant and sow the seeds of doubt. The more doubt that can be thrown over something, the more fertile the ground for growing "alternative" theories.

The easiest way to do this is to simply ask questions. But where most will look at something, and ask questions if they're not completely clear on it, the trick of the CTist is to look at things that are completely clear, and question them anyway. This attempts to sow seeds of doubt where there may not even be soil.

The trick is to simply demand answers on terms that cannot possibly be provided. It really is, even if only by pure semantics, possible to cast some level of doubt over absolutely anything, no matter how ridiculous.

An example: I have a theory that Hawthorn actually threw Easter Monday's game against Geelong for the bookmakers, and to help do so they secretly substituted out star Cyril Rioli, Fine Cotton style, for an identical lookalike with zero football ability. I established this by watching him play on Monday.

So as a CTist, my questions would be: Do you KNOW it was Cyril on Monday? Please post some HARD evidence that it was actually Cyril Rioli. I mean hard, documentary evidence. You can't? Well then... how do you know? You obviously don't!

(And now, look back at point 1 above)

The continued asking of "unanswerable" questions is the ultimate time waster. Such filibustering only serves to seemingly build more doubt as time drags on.

What's funny is that this absurd questioning is always hailed by CTists as an admirable pursuit (for use in point number 3 above). They're thinkers, they question everything, they're not like the brainless masses being led around by the dark, mysterious powers that be.

Thoughtful, searching questioning is extremely useful. Endless, pointless questioning is idiotic. As an old teacher of mine once said:

"There are no stupid questions, Bunk. Only stupid people."

Mods can we please change the title of the thread to "did Cyril Rioli get swapped with a look-a-like" please and get back on topic

We need the truth

Maybe, just thought it relevant.

Cannot for the life of me think why.

"Do your own research".

Inverted use of evidence gets a hiding on this site.

I reckon it's healthy to question things. I'd prefer it if it wasn't done in a condescending 'I have all the answers and you're just willingly blind sheeple' sort of way to those who question the questioner because when it all boils down and you get to the bare nude and rude bones of it...

ALL skepticism is healthy. Even being skeptical of skeptics. Just play nice!

I reckon it's healthy to question things. I'd prefer it if it wasn't done in a condescending 'I have all the answers and you're just willingly blind sheeple' sort of way to those who question the questioner because when it all boils down and you get to the bare nude and rude bones of it...

ALL skepticism is healthy. Even being skeptical of skeptics. Just play nice!

True. But being skeptical also involves accepting evidence when there is enough of it. Not denying it because it doesn't suit your argument. This applies equally to climate deniers, Creationists, and anti-vaxxers. Also applies to the AIDS deniers, but for obvious reasons those numbers are dropping.

Reading the various threads that have popped up on here and around the site, the sense of sheer elitism coming through from some of the regular suspects is fascinating. Always first to trumpet how much smarter they are than the "sheep" and the "deluded."

The backwoods preachers of the net age.

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

It is true that Official Story skeptics do themselves no favours when they deride the believing masses like that.

I have probably been guilty of it in the past myself but I try my best on this board to refrain from such behaviour.

The important thing to realise is that we the plebs are all in this together.

When the government lied to us about WMD in Iraq, for instance, we all suffered. Believers and skeptics alike.

No point making enemies of one another when our real enemies are the ones pulling the strings above.

It is true that Official Story skeptics do themselves no favours when they deride the believing masses like that.

I have probably been guilty of it in the past myself but I try my best on this board to refrain from such behaviour.

The important thing to realise is that we the plebs are all in this together.

When the government lied to us about WMD in Iraq, for instance, we all suffered. Believers and skeptics alike.

No point making enemies of one another when our real enemies are the ones pulling the strings above.

And sometimes, there are no strings, and no enemies. Just random stuff that happens with 7 billion aggressive primates trying to co-exist.

Some of my favorite conspiracy theorists include:

Carroll Quigley, head of Georgetown's School of Foreign Service and mentor to Bill Clinton:
http://www.carrollquigley.net/pdf/The_Anglo-American_Establishment.pdf
http://www.wanttoknow.info/war/tragedy_and_hope_quigley_full1090pg.pdf

James H. Billington, the 13th Librarian of the United States Congress:
http://www.scribd.com/doc/62730627/Fire-in-the-Minds-of-Men-By-James-H-Billington

Antony C. Sutton, research fellow at the Hoover Institution:
http://vho.org/aaargh/fran/livres10/SuttonBones.pdf
http://www.pdfarchive.info/pdf/S/Su/Sutton_Antony_Cyril_-_The_Federal_Reserve_conspiracy.pdf

Conspiracy is literally the engine of history.

There's a very similar one for denialists - whether it be Creationists, or climate deniers, or anti-vaccination nutjobs. They all tend the follow the same warped type of "reasoning".
Creationists, climate deniers and anti vaxers are conspiracy theorists. Their logic and methodology are exactly the same.

Similarly arguing with them only strengthens their point of view. I saw a video about a recent study on this. The only method one can use with these types is to not return the anger and get them to sequentially explain all of their facts and how they relate. Even that has a limited effect.

Anything is possible in a conspiracy apparently.
Rig up the Twin Towers with hundreds of explosive devices timed to go off at precisely the right time (even when the building is collapsing) - sure no problem.
Shine a hologram of a jet onto a building in the middle of New York and set off explosives in the said building at exactly the right time and spot - sure easy enough.
Hack into the world wide news services and insert into live broadcasts images of planes flying into buildings - sure no problem.
You have to give it to the CTers though- their imaginations are limitless.

I've always been fairly interested in conspiracy theories and have read a fair bit about them, from the fairly thought out and constructed, to the absolutely absurd.
The proponents of your more "imaginative" theories are always the most insistent. Nothing will ever challenge the validity of their theory, which will be argued with boundless energy and indignation. But good arguing required tactics.
Throughout my reading I've come across some pretty consistent tactics used by conspiracy theorists to push their agenda. I've summarised and shared them here as I think they can help anybody when they're weighing up a theory. For me I find they provide a bit of lens with which to look at the behaviour of the CTist. I find that when I start to see a few of these tactics in regular use, it's a good indicator that I'm on a road to nowhere: a theory which makes no logical sense, and an adversary who will never shift their "opinion", come hell or high logic.

Sounds like after all your 'bright' interest and reading, you've come to a one size fits all when it comes to anyone questioning authority and the official story.
Let me ask you a simple question (I think it has to be): Have you ever questioned what you've been told and does that then also make you a CT?
This grouping of anyone that dares question any single situation, is ....................... pretty simple. Do you agree?

I think you may be a little confused in your processing as if you did a little listening and maybe even a little research, you may find that you're in the minority of those who lend themselves completely to, whether it be the official JFK, 9/11 or even religious theories.

First of all I thought the OP provided a great read and I agree with so much of what was said.... However, I hate how there is just 2 options: "mainstream thinker" or "conspiracy theorist" (I'm not suggesting the OP is pushing this paradigm either).

I know there's a load of crackpot ideas out there, but there are some "facts" that are stranger than fiction out there too. This false paradigm is the same silly dialectic that is pushed on us politically (Liberal vs Labour, Republican vs Democrat), economically (Keynesian vs Chicago style austerity) and socially (Anti-vaxxer vs Vaxxer). The problem here is that it is too often used as a form of social engineering/manipulation (i.e. - if you don't agree with abortion you must hate women, if you dislike the sydney swans then you are racist against adam goodes, etc).

The point that the OP makes that I wholeheartedly agree with is the concept of backing up your claims with some solid, reputable research. Nothing annoys me more than someone "preaching" a message and not providing a solid basis aside from an emotional style argument. I believe in both extreme "spheres" of social thinking there is this insistence to get people to bypass their critical thinking and just "let the truth set you free".

If you want to hear some interesting views on some real topics I highly recommend James Corbett (https://www.corbettreport.com/). He runs an alternative, open source podcast/blog that will debunk a myth just as fast as it will offer incredible new slant on popular memes/stories that is all backed up studiously with research. Check it out folks.

Keep it weird - Jtree

Corbett is terrific at what he does, but he never goes near the blatant false flag hoaxes. Possibly controlled, possibly scared.

Either way, the following video is well worth your time:

Cheers for the link SB. I'll check it out.

In regards to Corbett, he certainly does go through some crazy stuff.. (9/11, vaccines, mind control, government pedophiles, bankster cabals....). The only topic he is a bit shy on is alien disclosure, but otherwise he isn't afraid/controlled.

Here's a good one on 9/11: https://www.corbettreport.com/mp3/episode196_where_were_they.mp3

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back