Analysis Peel Thunder 2015 (TV schedule in OP)

Remove this Banner Ad

Looks like everyone's been covered already on their games. I'm just gonna add my name to the list of fans of Pearce & Grey. They just had moments all day that showed you they're destined for Freo's 22 down the line with the composure they showed. Pearce's sure hands and spoiling in defence were immaculate.

My favourite Grey moment today was when the game was on the line and his 1v1 ball chase in defense where he absolutely HAD to keep his feet and not either overrun the ball or pick it up and get pinged without an option to dispose to or he'd surely have gifted a goal - he and his direct opponent had tussled all the way to the bouncing ball, locked up the whole way, Grey kept his footing, held his man off the ball where it lay and didn't get bufetted off and tied up the ball between them so that there was no way he'd get penalised for it. That 1 play alone showed his development and maturity beyond his years, there are dozens of seasoned AFL players that wouldn't have been able to keep their feet and halve the contest like he managed to do.

Pearce, Grey were great, I thought Langdon showed a lot and has looked (sounded for the past few weeks) like a future 1st 22 player, Blakely worked hard all day in the middle and looked to read Griffs taps all day, Hughes, Bootsma, Jones Jetta had good games too.

Moller whilst not prolific by any stretch - has something that can be worked with. He might be a 50/50 prospect by the end of this year at the moment but I wouldn't begrudge the club for giving him a year or so on the senior list at the expense of say the likes of Sylvia, Mora or Crowley. His stats don't tell the whole story, he doesn't look completely out of place but it's important to remember he's 204cm and 20yrs old, I think we can spare a spot for a developing ruckman on the senior list for a year or so.

I know he is not on our list but Jeez Bootsma played a bloody good game and was instrumental in quelling a EP first quarter onslaught.
It took a few quarters for Peel to move as one and I can't understand why he isn't playing AFL.
Even if he is a giant flog off field.

Wasn't his commitment also an issue. I seem to remember a story about him withdrawing himself from a game, and then going to the beach. Not saying he doesn't deserve a second chance, just I can understand why Carlton got rid of him.

Awesome second half with nearly everybody contributing.

Really like the speed/skill/composure of Lachie Weller. Had no 44 from East Perth sitting on him all day and he kept working and will be a huge asset when he dons the purple.

Blakely is great in the clearances and you can understand the Mundy comparisons. Wasn't his best game disposal wise but will definitely get his shot soon.

Have always been a big Brady Grey fan and today he was BOG with Brendon Jones imo. It was one of the best games from a small defender you'll see and another who deserves a s**t when it presents.

Alex Pearce is another who has all the attributes and will be a fantastic player for us for years to come.

Of the others Gu is obviously next in line, Langdon shows a lot of potential, Hughes needs some polish but hopefully can turn into an Ibbo clone and Griffin and Moller both showed a bit.

Ballard racked them up but his skills are an issue and not sure his game would translate to AFL. TV and Deluca still need further development/improvement but went ok aside from some skill errors.

Overall though it's clearly the best depth we've ever had when you throw in Duffy, Hannath and Apeness who were held over/unavailable. Confident we can cover any position with the aforementioned guys which is a great spot to be in.

Awesome second half with nearly everybody contributing.

Really like the speed/skill/composure of Lachie Weller. Had no 44 from East Perth sitting on him all day and he kept working and will be a huge asset when he dons the purple.

Blakely is great in the clearances and you can understand the Mundy comparisons. Wasn't his best game disposal wise but will definitely get his shot soon.

Have always been a big Brady Grey fan and today he was BOG with Brendon Jones imo. It was one of the best games from a small defender you'll see and another who deserves a s**t when it presents.

Alex Pearce is another who has all the attributes and will be a fantastic player for us for years to come.

Of the others Gu is obviously next in line, Langdon shows a lot of potential, Hughes needs some polish but hopefully can turn into an Ibbo clone and Griffin and Moller both showed a bit.

Ballard racked them up but his skills are an issue and not sure his game would translate to AFL. TV and Deluca still need further development/improvement but went ok aside from some skill errors.

Overall though it's clearly the best depth we've ever had when you throw in Duffy, Hannath and Apeness who were held over/unavailable. Confident we can cover any position with the aforementioned guys which is a great spot to be in.

Apeness any chance to play today or is he injured?

You would assume that his young child and the mother (possibly they are together?) are settled here in WA?
I have no idea.. I can't believe I'm saying this but watching his last couple of games I agree that he is a likely type to potentially be handy back at AFL level but his indiscretions weren't a once off and hardly 'minor'. If he works hard and has grown up keeping his nose squeaky clean for a couple of years he's in about the best place possible to get noticed to get given another chance though.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I actually have high hopes for Moller. He is a gangly 20 yo with a few years of development in him. People forget what Sandi and Cox were like when they were 20. Give the kid a break.

Yes people have short memories, just a few young ruckman from not that long ago that were either cut or left for more opportunities at other clubs, John Cegular, Sam Jacobs, Darren Jolly, Stef Martin, Shane Mumford. Freo are a professional outfit now they will no if he's good or someone else will take the chance. :)

Wasn't his commitment also an issue. I seem to remember a story about him withdrawing himself from a game, and then going to the beach. Not saying he doesn't deserve a second chance, just I can understand why Carlton got rid of him.
He also wasn't very good at AFL level. I really don't want to see us pick him up because I just can't see him all of a sudden being this star, and a young draftee probably has more upside.

Based on this game alone, Blakely would be so far ahead of Weller when it comes to getting a senior game it's not funny. Composed ball magnet.

Seeing Pearce's game has made me feel much better about our future post-McPharlin than ever. A few more kegs and he's good to go at the top level. Will get pushed around a bit too much at the moment, not sure i'd have him in the same backline as Dawson just yet.

I'm not sure I saw as much from Weller as i'm seeing written here - didn't seem to get it that much and didn't do a whole heap with it while Blakely tended to use it better more often.

Grey is an interesting one. I would think that he's competing with Spurr for a spot. I don't think Spurr would be too worried just yet but an injury or drop in form would have him looking over his shoulder. Wouldn't be in the same sentence as Ibbotson and Duffield - they do too much with the ball. Grey might be an interesting one to come in as a Deboer style forward, rattle some cages and win some contests. Pretty left field though, maybe i'm just looking for a spot due to mancrush.

Fair go, I thought he played pretty well :D

Oh yeah forgot about that.Well I hope he sorts it all out and matures a bit because he is a wasted talent playing WAFL.

You would assume that his young child and the mother (possibly they are together?) are settled here in WA?

Saw them together last year. If they are still together now that would also be contributing to Bootsma growing up quickly.

As to whether you would give him a shot at the AFL again, don't know, but he is a significant improvement on Tanner Smith especially in the kicking Department. Still not a big body but he did throw it around and at the game I saw when the game was in the balance.

You know what, as a rookie he would be great cover for our key backs.

Just a great solid effort lead by the Gu and Brendon Jones.

Fantastic to see the side finally playing as a team together, even without a forward line.

Muz has to come back into the seniors now after that performance.

I watched the second half.
I though Moller's ruck work was better than Griffin's. Better directed and to advantage

I can't agree with that. I thought he was beaten by Johnson. Griff certainly faded in the 2nd half (after being outright dominant in the 1st), but those times where Moller was rucking, I felt it was the dominance of the midfield that was the more telling factor (and indeed for the whole of the 2nd half irrespective of who was rucking). As is so often the case in ruck contests, him and Johnson were regularly directing the ball to the same spot.

I hate to keep beating the same horse, but i've just never seen anything from him in the last couple of years that suggests he will impact at AFL level. Considering Hannath at less than a year older than Moller is now acquitted himself reasonably in, what, 12 AFL games? And we got him for a wet lettuce? My gripe is specifically if he has to go on the senior list next year, which I am pretty sure he does irrespective of his category B status. If he has a dramatic improvement, great. But his height and age are not reasonable justifications in and of themselves to keep him around.

19 year old made a mistake that he is very unlikely to repeat again. I'd be happy to throw him a lifeline. Definitely AFL quality.

Paging Silent Alarm to the thread.

Seriously though, Bootsma would only be worth it if a complete turnaround in his professional attitude occurs. Is he actually going to do weights and eat supplements this time? Is he going to refrain from going to the beach when his team has a game on? Otherwise it is Colin 2.0.

He also wasn't very good at AFL level. I really don't want to see us pick him up because I just can't see him all of a sudden being this star, and a young draftee probably has more upside.

I wouldn't exactly call him a star.But he looks quite serviceable down back.
Not that Freo need him I just think he should be in an AFL squad.

I can't agree with that. I thought he was beaten by Johnson. Griff certainly faded in the 2nd half (after being outright dominant in the 1st), but those times where Moller was rucking, I felt it was the dominance of the midfield that was the more telling factor (and indeed for the whole of the 2nd half irrespective of who was rucking). As is so often the case in ruck contests, him and Johnson were regularly directing the ball to the same spot.

I hate to keep beating the same horse, but i've just never seen anything from him in the last couple of years that suggests he will impact at AFL level. Considering Hannath at less than a year older than Moller is now acquitted himself reasonably in, what, 12 AFL games? And we got him for a wet lettuce? My gripe is specifically if he has to go on the senior list next year, which I am pretty sure he does irrespective of his category B status. If he has a dramatic improvement, great. But his height and age are not reasonable justifications in and of themselves to keep him around.
Moller has some good attributes but it will be years before he could be considered for an afl role. A few weeks back he played ruck in the reserves against East freo and, at best, broke even with their ruck, Jack Fletcher. Jack is only 197cm and is only playing his second year of footy at any level. On one hand I think this is worrying in terms of Moller's development but on the other hand it shows that there are probably a few other young kids out there that the club could invest their development resources in. It's a crunch year for Moller, he'll have to show some significant improvement this season to stay on the list.

http://www.wafl.com.au/players/view/4979

Last edited:
Problem with Bootsma footy wise is that he probably a bit undersized as a key defender. How would he go as a third tall at afl level? Can't really remember if his kicking was up for it.

Do I reckon he's worth a spot on the senior list? No.
Is he worth our last rookie list spot, assuming we have 2+ picks? We could do a lot worse than a former first round draft pick playing good wafl footy who plays a position we'll require in the medium term future.

;)

Paging Silent Alarm to the thread.

Seriously though, Bootsma would only be worth it if a complete turnaround in his professional attitude occurs. Is he actually going to do weights and eat supplements this time? Is he going to refrain from going to the beach when his team has a game on? Otherwise it is Colin 2.0.

Re Bootsma if there was a mid season draft you reckon west coast would be all over him.

Re Moller every ones entitled to there opinion but at least get the facts right big Jack 9/7/91 lurch 22/8/94. This year I will be sticking up for my bud, & big Jack got most his games when sandi & griff were out most of the season. ;)

To be fair, he was playing in a pretty ordinary Carlton outfit. He was a young, developing KPP. They take a while, and combined with the fact Carltank were getting beaten more often than not, I don't think you could really expect him to set the world on fire. I had (and to a degree still have) the same attitude as you, and wasn't overly keen on getting him when the talk on who we should get surfaces at the end of each season. I'm warming to the idea now. I don't want to see us use our first pick, but a third/fourth/rookie pick might not be a bad choice. Sign him up with behavioral clauses. If he doesn't cut the mustard behavior/attitude wise he can say Sayonara to his career. I think getting the boot from Carlton might have stung enough for him to change his ways if he gets a second opportunity.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back