2nds Northern Blues 2015

Remove this Banner Ad

but he's not slow
So that makes him our 3rd fastest, behind Yarran and Judd :D

Would be quite happy for him to come in next week. Could probably come in and replace Yarran.
Ah yeah, forgot about Yarran. Would like to see Boekhorst or Bucks come in for him, but when Thursday comes around I wouldn't be too surprised to see only OUT: Yarran IN: Tutt...

Good game of football today that clearly showed us playing a more open game, than we have in a couple of years.
We really did let Williamstown in much too easily at times, by allowing them to have clear players across the ground but the NB's did play the better football for the most part.

Whiley stood out for me, in the way he moved around the ground and how ready he was to get his hands dirty.
He also laid some bone crunching tackles and took some good intercept marks across the park. Very good game.

Graham was his usual 'good' Not great but just very good.
I dare say that we'd be fawning over his game if it was his first year but we've seen so many of the same over the last couple that we're somewhat used to it.

Warnock was solid and presented regularly.....as he has at this level in the past.
Can't say that his ruck-work was particularly great though and even he beat his opponent, he didn't really dominate......good game though.

Watson is a terrific kick but Fields has him covered on todays showing.
Reckon it may have been 8-10 kicks that traveled 50mts+ to hit the desired target perfectly today....clear stand-out.

Buckley was so-so but he still makes some fundamental errors that lets opponents in.
Always looked as an offensive weapon than he did a defensive one......It's tricky for him.

Boekhorst was very impressive although he tires much too quickly.....that will be the reason he isn't playing yet.
Did most things well but at one stage in the second I thought he must have broken his arm the way he ran off the ground.........he was just fatigued.
He clearly has class about him and the sooner he gets body into gear the better for us.

Viojo was good....not great but good. Took a couple of courageous marks, ran through opponents but oddlyy it was his kicking which let him down.
There were some good kicks there but also a couple of shanks which weren't there through the pre-season. He rarely extended his left which was a little disappointing for someone given just how good a kick he really is...........early days, of course.

Jaksch is class. Not that everything he did today was exempalry but you can just tell.
Judges the ball in the air beautifully and he has a terrific kick on him, as we already know....He'll be considered a great pick-up for us soon enough.

Tutt was good. Probably did several things that may have gone unnoticed although you can't hide from 3 goals.
Always looked likely and effort was quality.

Gowers and Walsh were involved in some very good passages of play. Both showed plenty of promise.

Smith looked very lively early but did seem somewhat distant thereafter.
Several passages of play looked as though they may amount to something but it didn't quite work out for him today.

Russell did very well given the expectations upon him. Kicked a great goal but the progress from last year was clear on todays showing.

Watson didn't have a good day by his VFL standard and a couple of passages were a bit if a let-down for the big fella.

Foster didn't impact too much but did seem to position himself well enough.
It does seem as though the forwards are going to get some decent delivery this year....He has plenty of time on his side.

Johnson and Holman were only so-so. Holman did have a stopping role but didn't really show class when he had to.
I like Johnson and he did a few good things but just didn't get involved enough.

The NB's lost....................I don't know how as they were the better team on the day.

Most encouraging game of VFL football I'd seen in a few years from the NB's today.

It was great not to have players that didn't have their heart in the game..................some played better than others of course, but the intent from the group and the running of the ball from many was just fantastic.

Can't even knock the non-Carlton listed players today................although Bransgrove is just too short (those at the game may know what I mean :))

Good game of football today that clearly showed us playing a more open game, than we have in a couple of years.
We really did let Williamstown in much too easily at times, by allowing them to have clear players across the ground but the NB's did play the better football for the most part.

Whiley stood out for me, in the way he moved around the ground and how ready he was to get his hands dirty.
He also laid some bone crunching tackles and took some good intercept marks across the park. Very good game.

I dare say that we'd be fawning over his game if it was his first year but we've seen so many of the same over the last couple that we're somewhat used to it.

Warnock was solid and presented regularly.....as he has at this level in the past.
Can't say that his ruck-work was particularly great though and even he beat his opponent, he didn't really dominate......good game though.

Reckon it may have been 8-10 kicks that traveled 50mts+ to hit the desired target perfectly today....clear stand-out.

Buckley was so-so but he still makes some fundamental errors that lets opponents in.
Always looked as an offensive weapon than he did a defensive one......It's tricky for him.

Boekhorst was very impressive although he tires much too quickly.....that will be the reason he isn't playing yet.
Did most things well but at one stage in the second I thought he must have broken his arm the way he ran off the ground.........he was just fatigued.
He clearly has class about him and the sooner he gets body into gear the better for us.

Viojo was good....not great but good. Took a couple of courageous marks, ran through opponents but oddlyy it was his kicking which let him down.
There were some good kicks there but also a couple of shanks which weren't there through the pre-season. He rarely extended his left which was a little disappointing for someone given just how good a kick he really is...........early days, of course.

Jaksch is class. Not that everything he did today was exempalry but you can just tell.
Judges the ball in the air beautifully and he has a terrific kick on him, as we already know....He'll be considered a great pick-up for us soon enough.

Tutt was good. Probably did several things that may have gone unnoticed although you can't hide from 3 goals.

Gowers and Walsh were involved in some very good passages of play. Both showed plenty of promise.

Several passages of play looked as though they may amount to something but it didn't quite work out for him today.

Russell did very well given the expectations upon him. Kicked a great goal but the progress from last year was clear on todays showing.

Watson didn't have a good day by his VFL standard and a couple of passages were a bit if a let-down for the big fella.

It does seem as though the forwards are going to get some decent delivery this year....He has plenty of time on his side.

Johnson and Holman were only so-so. Holman did have a stopping role but didn't really show class when he had to.
I like Johnson and he did a few good things but just didn't get involved enough.

The NB's lost....................I don't know how as they were the better team on the day.

Fantastic work Harker!! I was hoping you would do one for this match.
Thank you!

Fantastic work Harker!! I was hoping you would do one for this match.
Thank you!

Some days are easy than others and I don't really care for a favourable result, as for the right effort from the right players.

Today we had that in spades...............very pleasing efforts all round and no Garlett, Lucas and Bootsma half-hearted stuff to be seen.

Some days are easy than others and I don't really care for a favourable result, as for the right effort from the right players.

Today we had that in spades...............very pleasing efforts all round and no Garlett, Lucas and Bootsma half-hearted stuff to be seen.
It had a totally different feeling to last year, didn't it? Every player out there wanted the ball, even Warnock worked around the ground. There was no stroppiness from anyone or half hearted efforts.

Thanks heaps for the brilliant report Harks, so hard getting updates over here in the West, had to follow the game through Twitter. Sounds like the young team went really well and should get better every game they play together :)

Anyone know where I can find the full team stats?
I found this on Twitter = DISPOSALS: Whiley 28, Graham 27, McGuinness 26, Wilson 25, Boekhorst 25, Walsh 24.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Thanks very much for the write up Harks - great reading for those of us interstate who can't attend the games.

so does it look like Johnson and Holman have taken a step up this year? to me Johnson should come in asap he just kicks goals if nothing else, can't be worst then jones an still has upside!

sounds good about gowers really think he will be handy

Re: Blaine Johnson, I'm pretty sure every week this year he's kicked 2 goals. Is he any chance for a position in the seniors as a forward, or should he be hitting the 3-5 goals a week in the VFL and be more involved to be considered?
Where is Fields lining up - key posts or HBF or wing as they were hoping to play him as announced in his drafting? Does he have the smarts to play AFL outside of his boot (though what we could with that type of injection in the team)?

Appreciative of the reports, good job. Pity to lose due to inaccuracy but the effort was there whic is encouraging.

We definitely need a stand-alone reserves team.

We do but administration seems to be happy with the way things are. .
We should be playing all home games at PP. .

Something else about the game that was different....... The team used the main facility and not the old smelly rooms under the Legends Stand...... About time.

We do but administration seems to be happy with the way things are. .
We should be playing all home games at PP. .

Something else about the game that was different....... The team used the main facility and not the old smelly rooms under the Legends Stand...... About time.

Completely agree about playing home games at PP Harks. Not that there's anything wrong with Preston, but we've all but removed any link with Preston. We even wore the Carlton jumper yesterday.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back