Vic E/W Link / Metro Rail / Large projects

Remove this Banner Ad

Shallower is way better for passengers. The deep stations add on several minutes of travel time just to access the stations

10m is probably the city section. It's hardly an issue, most of Tokyo's subway network alternates from about 10 to 40.

A lot of the lines are fairly shallow, same with Singapore IIRC.

Ditto London, numerous lines, some deep some shallow and the new CrossRail requiring tunnelling under the west end and the city and new stations being built.

I am sure the technical issues can be overcome. Sounds like a half decent idea to me.

Shallower is way better for passengers. The deep stations add on several minutes of travel time just to access the stations
Yep, the only reason why some of Tokyo's lines go so deep is that the foundations of many buildings connect up and go deep underground, likewise my guess is hey double as emergency shelters.

The Oeido line must have some of the deepest metro stations in the world, which is in contrast to a lot of the network, which sits just below ground level.

Did some homework on corrosion. Can't see why it'd be an issue in this case as compared to digging the tunnel lower?

Almost 6 months later but we've finally been put at ease. Just glad the rail project is going ahead over that s**t road , I can't believe they were going to build it given the financial flop that it was and when you have a far superior rail project which is actually needed. The Westgate distributor also looks a far neater solution.

So they're going to build a bridge over the Yarra for the rail then? What are the benefits/consequences of that? I'd imagine it'd be far cheaper and easier to maintain than a tunnel.

I cant see how a 'tunnel' could go over the yarra water surface. The existing flinders st tracks are a few m below swanston st today. Theres no room to go over those tracks, just under would be through the yarra water,

I found out the top of the domain tunnel is 9 m below the water level of the Yarra, which is normally 7m deep it was built using cut and fill.

Youd imagine thats the only option, but the tunnel would go to the east of the bridge to avoid its foundations, which probably go deep.

So top of tunnel would be 9m below the surface, which is itself maybe 6m below the bridge deck, and the platform another 4m deeper means the 'platform' at the cbd south station will be about 20m deep compared to cbd north, which we are told is going to be 10m below swanston st. Thats a gradient of 10m drop more than swanston st drops in about 600m horizontally, about a 2 to 3 % gradient at most. Sounds feasible

Trainlines will have much bigger gradients than that at the many grade seperations being planned

Last edited:
Gets more hilarious every day.
8 years of tearing up Swanston Street.
Coupled with 8 years plus of growing congestion in Hoddle and West Coast.
Two elections, maybe three will pass, before even one voter gets to travel on the new rail link.

What utter fools the CEFMEU Premier and his idiot acolytes are turning out to be.

So you are encouraging politicians to think even more short term ?

I cant see how a 'tunnel' could go over the yarra water surface. The existing flinders st tracks are a few m below swanston st today. Theres no room to go over those tracks, just under would be through the yarra water,

I found out the top of the domain tunnel is 9 m below the water level of the Yarra, which is normally 7m deep it was built using cut and fill.

Youd imagine thats the only option, but the tunnel would go to the east of the bridge to avoid its foundations, which probably go deep.

So top of tunnel would be 9m below the surface, which is itself maybe 6m below the bridge deck, and the platform another 4m deeper means the 'platform' at the cbd south station will be about 20m deep compared to cbd north, which we are told is going to be 10m below swanston st. Thats a gradient of 10m drop more than swanston st drops in about 600m horizontally, about a 2 to 3 % gradient at most. Sounds feasible

Trainlines will have much bigger gradients than that at the many grade seperations being planned

These problems will not be ironed out in the life of this government and the project will probably never happen. It was all just a distraction from the East-West fiasco.

These problems will not be ironed out in the life of this government and the project will probably never happen. It was all just a distraction from the East-West fiasco.

seeing as the brumby government seriously proposed it, and its at the top of the list of infrastructure Australia, Id say brumby was bleedin Nostradamus to set the distraction up five years out.

Gets more hilarious every day.
8 years of tearing up Swanston Street.
Coupled with 8 years plus of growing congestion in Hoddle and West Coast.
Two elections, maybe three will pass, before even one voter gets to travel on the new rail link.

What utter fools the CEFMEU Premier and his idiot acolytes are turning out to be.
The City Loop took ten years to build. A mistake no doubt?

The majority of Victorians voted this project to go ahead and voted against the E-W link.

That's democracy, and the majority of people disagree with you. Suck it up princess.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

The western part of EW which has a second yarra crossing should be done sooner rather than later. The libs prioritised this behind the eastern part for political reasons

I still think its wayy behind metro in importance which, combined with level crossing removal, will help rail and road capacity all over melbourne

Maybe if the libs had not sat on their hands for half a term, and prosecuted EW link more openly, it would already being built.

Road projects and connecting the tollway/freeway are important for freight more than commuting, for which a great train network is the better option

'Why cant we have both'

Yes - no one would have used that road. Ever. It would have been an empty road through the middle of Melbourne for a hundred years to come. In 2100, cars will still be lining up at the end of the Eastern Freeway because the traffic infrastructure now is perfect and we don't need any upgrade.

And half that 9bn was private money to be repaid by tolls. Not tax payer funding. We literally threw away ~20% or more of the tax payer contribution.
Even with the E-W link, cars would still be lining up at the Punt Road exit because 94% of cars travelling on the Eastern Freeway are city bound. The congestion is caused by Punt Road, not the 6% of traffic heading to the airport.

The new freeway would have made it quicker for the blue ribbon Liberal seats of Kew no Doncaster get to the airport quicker, that's for sure, but please, if you're going to have an debate, try digging up some facts to back your point of view rather than regurgitating what the Herald Sun and Bolt feed you.

'Why cant we have both'
'cause then the knives would be out for spending too much money.

Which is ironic in many ways. I don't know one single person that doesn't operated with credit cards or have a mortgage. Nothing wrong with debt, as long as that debt is created building infrastructure.

10 metre down, won't the train sink in the Yarra River.
Personally I'd trust the engineers over your guesswork.

Even with the E-W link, cars would still be lining up at the Punt Road exit because 94% of cars travelling on the Eastern Freeway are city bound. The congestion is caused by Punt Road, not the 6% of traffic heading to the airport.

The new freeway would have made it quicker for the blue ribbon Liberal seats of Kew no Doncaster get to the airport quicker, that's for sure, but please, if you're going to have an debate, try digging up some facts to back your point of view rather than regurgitating what the Herald Sun and Bolt feed you.

A link from eastern at bulleen to ring road would also do that, which would also need some tunelling

Which link from the eastern to tulla and ring road would be best ? Theres arguments both ways

Watch out for a campaign pronouncing infrastructure australia as a left wing hotbed

Fools.

In my time I have lived through the construction of:

Tullamarine airport,
Tullamarine Freeway,
Melbourne Rail Underground,
Monash Freeway,
Westgate Bridge,
Eastern Freeway,
Western Ring road,
Citilink,
EastLink, Peninsular Link

You fools would have opposed the lot.

And yet only 2 of the bottom 3 have involved privately operated tollways..like EW Link would have been!

Infrastructure is great.

But it must be built wholly and solely by Governments and not by tax dodging profit based companies Jane.

A link from eastern at bulleen to ring road would also do that, which would also need some tunelling

Which link from the eastern to tulla and ring road would be best ? Theres arguments both ways

Wouldn't go from Bulleen.

I'd go from Eastlink at Donvale, around the back of Warrandyte and Eltham to Greensborough.

Wouldn't go from Bulleen.

I'd go from Eastlink at Donvale, around the back of Warrandyte and Eltham to Greensborough.
RACV link proposal is at Bulleen actually.

I'd suggest completing the ring road is much more important than E-W. The E-W proposal was stupid, traffic travelling E-W uses the Monash. The suggestion by the Libs that trucks that are West bound from Pakenham would divert along Eastlink, through Scoresby, Ringwood, Bulleen and then a tunnel was fanciful. Especially considering it would have been toll road the whole way.

Rather than 11 billion on a tunnel to make trips to the airport quicker, it would be better elevating Hoddle Street/Punt Road from its start in Clifton Hill to its finish in St Kilda. This would impact congestion a lot more than a tunnel to the airport.

I'd suggest completing the ring road is much more important than E-W. The E-W proposal was stupid, traffic travelling E-W uses the Monash. The suggestion by the Libs that trucks that are West bound from Pakenham would divert along Eastlink, through Scoresby, Ringwood, Bulleen and then a tunnel was fanciful. Especially considering it would have been toll road the whole way.

Rather than 11 billion on a tunnel to make trips to the airport quicker, it would be better elevating Hoddle Street/Punt Road from its start in Clifton Hill to its finish in St Kilda. This would impact congestion a lot more than a tunnel to the airport.

If EW dragged in more traffic, theres your 7% congestion reduction gone !

Congratulations to Jiska for knowing so much more than Rod Eddington.
CFMEU Premier of rustbucket state need look no further than this board if he re
quires another transport report.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back