Review Round 3-Geelong defeats Gold Coast by 9 points

Remove this Banner Ad

I'm curious why Blicavs gets a bonus apostrophe in his name, but Bews doesn't.
Image1.png

Great win in the circumstances. We aren't going to challenge for any honours this year but wins like this are crucial to development of younger players. Gregson showing why he has been in from the start of Nab 1, Cocky will get better, Bews is the most natural pure small defender we have had for a while and Blicavs continues to develop nicely. Walker has to stay in somehow but concerned it makes us too top heavy when Hawk comes back.
Looking forward to surely seeing Gore next week.

Oh, and there are some pure athletes who can be taught to become decent footballers, such as Wojcinski. Murdoch seems to be one they are trying to do similar, but at the moment looks lost. Lang on the other hand is a footballer.

Glad to see the gamepla change after half time and the rain. No more silly handballs and then the tough possesion + kick long became a necessity which is partly what has been missing all along. Last quarter i cringed at a few handball chains that were actually more effective though as they were to free targets and not to players stationary or under pressure

How does Clark and Blitz doing more ruckwork make Stanley look better? B/c they tired the opponent, do you mean?

RS was OK in the first half at stoppages and in the centre. He isn't 211, but was not bad today.

Esp. in the first 1/2 the issue was our very poor roving of the ball. Poor set ups, not hitting the contest at pace, not enough numbers to the ball, not hard enough at the ball, too many looking on, not enough body on body.

It also give him a little extra rest so that when it is his turn to compete he has more energy to jump/wrestle.

Yep. Good decision maker, but he does fumble a bit too often.

I think he will make it though, and be a good player. Keeps at it, tackles, doesn't avoid the tough stuff.

Good kid I say. :)
I thought he was much cleaner today than he has ever been. He stood up early on too, when the rest (bar Selwood) were ordinary.

Believe it or not Bob just because someone has a question mark over part of a players game doesn't mean they don't think they can become a good player...

Add Blease and Gore into this team, as well as Hawkins and we're looking like a young hungry team... (maybe Rivers too to take Lonergans spot).
Walker MUST stay in; can he take Lonergan's spot? Hawkins back next week, I presume.
Bartel, Stokes out.
SJ should be dropped.

Walker MUST stay in; can he take Lonergan's spot? Hawkins back next week, I presume.
Bartel, Stokes out.
SJ should be dropped.
Well it depends on how Hawk is if he is ready to go next week I'd assume.
at least 3 changes though for next week. Walker certainly doesn't deserve to be one of the other changes

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Sad for such a legend, but every time I see Stevie J trying to bend down or trying to turn around even, I have this nagging in the back of my head saying "pick 4 or 7 hey, dammmmm...". :D

Bartel, Stokes out.
SJ should be dropped.

Out: Stokes Bartel Lonergan
In: Blease GHS Rivers

Wouldn't surprise me if Hawkins also misses next week.
Johnson, Murdoch won't be dropped.

Poor form and so many guys not used to each can and did make us look a bottom 4 side in the first half. So much doubt and error , so much confidence just draining away.

So for so many reason just getting a win is great. So many very young players that would have felt very tired at the end. Most showed something , most made errors. To be frank Im not sure I can that Lang fumbles on occasion , or Cockatoo still looks unsure at times etc...Id like to be positive
Lang : 4 Games....I continue to like the kid; he will get better once he is around the ball more
Thurlow : 11 games...we need to persist with him back there , the age of our backline means we need to persist with the likes of him. Probably need to be encouraged to trust his foot skills more( no handpasses from kick out)
Walker : 18 games.... Say it again, and again. 22&1/2 KPP player , kicked goals in 7 of the last 8 games he has played.
Gregson : 3 Games.....a little mid who is a on the run goal kicker ..
Bews : 10 Games..... continues to secure his position
Cockatoo : 3 Games.... Gives very small amounts atm , but he gives quality

Plenty work on bit a bit to work with.

Out: Stokes Bartel Lonergan
In: Blease GHS Rivers

Wouldn't surprise me if Hawkins also misses next week.
Johnson, Murdoch won't be dropped.
If Hawk is in, what do we do with Walker?

Hitouts to advantage is the good stat.
It's better than hitouts but some of the credit in it still has to go to the midfielder. The definition given by CD is also a bit ambiguous given they say it's 'a hitout that reaches an intended teammate.' How do they know it was 'intended' and does it matter what happens afterwards?

My bet would be that Stanley did quite a few hitouts to disadvantage. But you can't get a hitout to advantage without a hitout and hopefully it prevents your opponent from getting hitouts to advantage.
Hitouts sharked is a stat CD records but doesn't release publicly. Stanley may well have had a lot sharked but I disagree that reflects badly on him because frankly I think it's pot luck. That we lose clearances has stacks more to do with how we set up and the ability (and willingness) of the players in the contest to win the ball and then move it cleanly to the outside than it does ruckmen.

Bartel, Stokes out.
SJ should be dropped.
Kicks 4 and you wanna sling him down back?
Definitely agree with dropping SJ, he's not up to it.
Bartel, Stokes and Lonergan out.
Gore and Mackie(?) in?

Well it depends on how Hawk is if he is ready to go next week I'd assume.
at least 3 changes though for next week. Walker certainly doesn't deserve to be one of the other changes

What is the story with hawk's mum? If she is not well, or from one poster saying she passed away, Hawkins will not play. There's no way that I'd play if something as serious as that was happening with my family. I wouldn't count Hawkins coming straight back in.

It's better than hitouts but some of the credit in it still has to go to the midfielder. The definition given by CD is also a bit ambiguous given they say it's 'a hitout that reaches an intended teammate.' How do they know it was 'intended' and does it matter what happens afterwards?

Hitouts sharked is a stat CD records but doesn't release publicly. Stanley may well have had a lot sharked but I disagree that reflects badly on him because frankly I think it's pot luck. That we lose clearances has stacks more to do with how we set up and the ability (and willingness) of the players in the contest to win the ball and then move it cleanly to the outside than it does ruckmen.

All true.
Losing clearances so badly today may also have had something to do with the loss of Bartel and Stokes, and playing Johnson forward so much of the time.

What is the story with hawk's mum? If she is not well, or from one poster saying she passed away, Hawkins will not play. There's no way that I'd play if something as serious as that was happening with my family. I wouldn't count Hawkins coming straight back in.

It was reported that Mrs Hawkins had passed away, but whether it's FACT remains to be seen.

No matter what, our thoughts are with his family.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back