The AFL needs to do something about the Brisbane Lions?

Remove this Banner Ad

Feb 28, 2007
Sydney
AFL Club
Sydney
Right now I personally believe that the Brisbane Lions is the biggest and most important issue for the AFL. Their lack of money is well known and reasonably well discussed, as well as their poor results and poor crowd figures and judging by the first 3 rounds things do not look like they are going to be getting better any time soon.

Some may argue that the Lions did this to themselves and that they should have made better decisions post 2004 and in some ways those people are right. Appointing a coach who had no experience even at an assistant level was a massive mistake and set the club back years and cost them millions in sponsorship and money from ticket sales.

However, even acknowledging the mistakes the club has made themselves it also needs to be acknowledged by the AFL that the Lions are in a terrible position where they just can't keep their draft picks and that players they recruit are heading home as soon as they can. Right now in the last few years Brisbane have lost a pick 5 (Polec), 8 (Longer), 12 (Docherty), 25 (Karnezis) and 30 (Yoe) all the the last year and it is also looking very likely that they are going to lose Aish who was pick 7 (I think) a few years ago and is clearly a player of the future. Take any club that has regularly been in the bottom 8 in the last 5 years and then take away so many of their young talented players and see what the side looks like, it would not be pretty.

The problem for the Lions is that they are in a horrible spiral that most other clubs do not need to deal with. They can't retain their top end talent, this affects their on field performances and after so many years of poor performances the Brisbane Lions fan base is not turning up to games anymore. With the fans not turning up or watching them on television then their off field bottom line is only going to get worse and worse, meaning the club can't spend as much on their football department which is only going to make it harder for the club to improve on the field.

To me most other clubs, even the other clubs that have been at the bottom for a long time, do not have the troubles the Lions have in retaining their players and I feel the AFL really needs to step in and offer some assistance when it comes to either retaining the players they draft or possibly attracting new players to the club.

If the AFL doesn't then the on field performances will not improve and the financial situation will only get worse and worse. Like I said at the start of the thread I think right now the Brisbane Lions should be a massive priority for the AFL because this is not a club the AFL can afford to lose.

What does everyone else think about the issue? Should something be done about it and if the answer is yes what do you think should be done?

I blame Eddie McGuire for taking their concessions away. How are they supposed to attract talent up there without some extra coin. It also doesnt help when draft picks are getting home sick and cant stay for atleast 3 years.

The best medium-to-long term solution would be to leave the academies in place and have the AFL boost funding to Brisbane's academy.

But having said that, there was a feeling during the 2013 draft that Aish was going to go back to SA no matter where he went. You've got the grandson of a former Norwood and South Australian captain who doesn't qualify for the Crows because the AFL's SANFL F/S rules are ridiculous, and they decide to take him despite having notorious issues with player retention? Idiots.

Last edited:
I loved watching the lions in the early 2000's, I agree that the AFL is better when they are up and going, been a long time since that though and right now they're only getting worse.

They've made poor decisions over the years so they have to take some of the blame for the state they are in right now, but something needs to be done, how good would it be for the Gabba to be packed out everytime the lions play at home?

The best medium-to-long term solution would be to leave the academies in place and have the AFL boost funding to Brisbane's academy.

But having said that, there was a feeling during the 2013 draft that Aish was going to go back to SA no matter where he went. You've got the son of a former Norwood and South Australian captain who doesn't qualify for the Crows because the AFL's SANFL F/S rules are ridiculous, and they decide to take him despite having notorious issues with player retention? Idiots.

Agreed with this. Despite opinions to the contrary and suggestions the draft promotes complete fairness and equalisation etc etc, every season there is almost an unspoken rule with some players - i.e. that said player from Perth (Dom Sheed, for arguments shake) will go to West Coast and no one will bid for him beforehand because it would almost be counterproductive to do so in these rare circumstances. Aish definitely sounds like one of those.

The problem for the Lions is that they are in a horrible spiral that most other clubs do not need to deal with. They can't retain their top end talent, this affects their on field performances and after so many years of poor performances the Brisbane Lions fan base is not turning up to games anymore. With the fans not turning up or watching them on television then their off field bottom line is only going to get worse and worse, meaning the club can't spend as much on their football department which is only going to make it harder for the club to improve on the field.

The spiral happens in many places ( See Melbourne, and over the past off season, the Bulldogs loosing their 'top talent' ). You've got it backwards though.

It's the years of poor performances that have lead to them being unable to hold onto their top talent.

Look at the timeline...Their talent stayed while there was still hope after their premiership, and some (like Brown) well after. But new kids, going to a club that is down and out would be a depressing state of affairs, and if/when they get a chance, it's no surprise they leave (just like Melbourne & the Bulldogs).

As a Richmond supporter I'm familiar with the state of affairs :(

The reverse also happens to a significant degree ( e.g Hawthorn, and earlier Geelong ).

Should something be done? Yep, but don't 'just' fix Brisbane.

But having said that, there was a feeling during the 2013 draft that Aish was going to go back to SA no matter where he went. You've got the son of a former Norwood and South Australian captain who doesn't qualify for the Crows because the AFL's SANFL F/S rules are ridiculous, and they decide to take him despite having notorious issues with player retention? Idiots.

Why is that a problem with the F/S rules? He didn't play enough games with the Crows, or should the crows get F/S rights over every son of a SANFL player?

There are way too many teams in the comp. let 'em die. GCS and GWS should never have been created.

Agree. I don't know why the AFL didn't create teams in NT and Tas. They are football obsessed states who would be perfectly self sufficient. Instead, the AFL spends gazillions of dollars trying to set up teams in places who couldn't give a flying f**k about AFL.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

The spiral happens in many places ( See Melbourne, and over the past off season, the Bulldogs loosing their 'top talent' ). You've got it backwards though.

It's the years of poor performances that have lead to them being unable to hold onto their top talent.

Look at the timeline...Their talent stayed while there was still hope after their premiership, and some (like Brown) well after. But new kids, going to a club that is down and out would be a depressing state of affairs, and if/when they get a chance, it's no surprise they leave (just like Melbourne & the Bulldogs).

As a Richmond supporter I'm familiar with the state of affairs :(

The reverse also happens to a significant degree ( e.g Hawthorn, and earlier Geelong ).

Should something be done? Yep, but don't 'just' fix Brisbane.

What about something which has been discussed on other threads where teams who finished top 4 are not allowed to sign up free agents? Would not help the Lions as such but it would prevent the top clubs gaining players because these players want to go to clubs to win a premiership later in their careers, which keeps the top clubs strong and keeps the weak clubs weak.

Agree. I don't know why the AFL didn't create teams in NT and Tas. They are football obsessed states who would be perfectly self sufficient. Instead, the AFL spends gazillions of dollars trying to set up teams in places who couldn't give a flying f**k about AFL.

Brisbane though has proven it can sustain an AFL club. However, even the most die hard supporters of any club would stop coming to games if they were subjected to the experiences the Lions have had over the past 10 years.

The markets there just aren't big enough.

Brisbane though has proven it can sustain an AFL club. However, even the most die hard supporters of any club would stop coming to games if they were subjected to the experiences the Lions have had over the past 10 years.

When have they proven that? While they were winning flags? Sustaining yourselves needs to be across the entire cycle.

Why is that a problem with the F/S rules? He didn't play enough games with the Crows, or should the crows get F/S rights over every son of a SANFL player?

Generally I agree...but I still think it was dumb. Aish's father was at Norwood. His uncle played over 300 games for the Redlegs and won the Margery Medal. His grandfather played nearly 200 for Norwood. I feel like there's a failure to recognise elements of South Australian football in some cases, and an Aish playing for anyone but the Crows is one of them.

Generally I agree...but I still think it was dumb. Aish's father was at Norwood. His uncle played over 300 games for the Redlegs and won the Margery Medal. His grandfather played nearly 200 for Norwood. I feel like there's a failure to recognise elements of South Australian football in some cases, and an Aish playing for anyone but the Crows is one of them.
Norwood had their chance to be in the AFL. The Crows are not Norwood.

If Aish leaves Brisbane it will be to leave Brisbane not to go to the Adelaide Crows. He'll be just as interested in Collingwood I think. But the Crows will likely have the salary cap and draft picks to make it work.

When have they proven that? While they were winning flags? Sustaining yourselves needs to be across the entire cycle.

I agree there but crowd support for any club is at its lowest when there is little hope. Now hope does not need to be hope of winning a flag in the next year or two, hope can simply be seeing an few 18 or 19 year old gun players in your team that you know are going to be great one day, people go to games just for that a lot of the time. The problem is the Lions team has been without hope for quite some time. They don't have much for their supporters to get excited about and it is not surprising their crowd support has dropped. The only club that seems to have as little or less hope than the Lions is Carlton and Carlton has a bigger supporter base to rely on in tough times.

Brisbane were shambles and lost all those players but got some draft picks for them.

Melbourne were shambles and didn't get anything for Morton, Maric, Strauss, Blease, Gysberts and Tapscott because we turned them in to turnips.

When you're down the AFL should give you financial aid as is reasonable and management support. If they grease the wheels on some free agency compo then good for them. But an ongoing advantage is not the right way to go about it.

Brisbane, with or without Aish, are still a healthy list with a heap of midfield talent and some promising young talls.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back