Autopsy Fremantle vs West Coast

Remove this Banner Ad

2 questions. I didn't realise Woosha and Lyon are mates? - did that evolve since 2012 when Ross joined us?

Second - Im interested as to why you think he doesn't have time for your mob. He strikes me as a guy he respects all teams regardless of their ladder positions. It's not like Ross was at Freo in the 90s when we had our pants pulled down every time by your mob- hard to see why there would be lingering resentment (if that is the right word to use)
I think Woosh and Lyon coached together at Carlton.

I think the truth is , Ross doesn't suffer fools gladly.
I reckon he gets so bored and pissed off with the standard of the media in Perth that he simply dreads these weeks when we play wc.
Do you think Ross would have a skerrick of respect for that grinning idiot Zempilas. Likewise, do you reckon he enjoys exchanging platitudes with Langdon.
Ross is a highly credentialed senior coach and he couldn't be stuffed with all this puerile promotional junk he is obligated to in Perth.
As far as wc is concerned, they are nowhere near Fremantle's level and Ross has just gone through a week of maintaining a charade that this game potentially posed a threat.
Now that it is over he can get straight back to preparing his team for a real challenge. He probably started that at half time today.

Speaking of Perth media - did you catch the interview after the game with Pav when he was presented with the derby trophy?

Was a tad awkward - Pav didn't want to talk, as he appeared to be annoyed at the last quarter, and Langdon kept pushing him for an answer. "Why don't you want to speak mate?!" Jeez just amateur hour stuff. Should be able to read the mood and move onto the next question

I like in the presser when asked about Lachie, Ross said it must be hard deciding who to tag ... Neale, Barlow, Fyfe, Mundy, Pearce ... no mention of Hill though. But did mention Suban!
Yeah i did laugh at that - Just chucks his name in whenever possible.

2 questions. I didn't realise Woosha and Lyon are mates? - did that evolve since 2012 when Ross joined us?

Second - Im interested as to why you think he doesn't have time for your mob. He strikes me as a guy he respects all teams regardless of their ladder positions. It's not like Ross was at Freo in the 90s when we had our pants pulled down every time by your mob- hard to see why there would be lingering resentment (if that is the right word to use)
They were both assistant coaches at Carlton over a decade ago

250512_spt_lyon_17rtrp4-17rtrp9.jpg

I knew a bloke who used to be in the inner sanctums of your club, don't know the exact details off by heart but after you guys lost the first derby in 2012 and Pav had a sad at Lyon, Lyon claimed you would never lose another if you follow his lead, and then went on an almighty rant about how you guys have been pissants basically your whole history and how we've been acting like kings, had a crack at our playing group and our culture, our (then) status with the media, apparently it was quite the impressive speech.

He strikes me as arrogant, which isn't always a bad thing, he is a good coach so he can be like that. Doesn't respect our midfield, Crowley never really is put to tag anyone on our team, he had a giggle at Basil Z the flog when Baz asked him who he'd put on Priddis in the derby last year, he got shitty at the prospect of us coming so close to winning the last derby last year (told Steve Harris to * off after the final siren remember?) , refers to derbies as 'our grand final'. etc.

Anyways we don't exactly deserve respect at the present, our club is pissant now. Lyon throws respect at clubs that deserve it, especially Sydney where he was heralded whilst working there. Being complimentary to your opposition is basic PR in press conferences. He spoke up our midfield, told the media he expected a tough game, while probably having a bit of a giggle to himself and suppressing a smirk.

You know I honestly think the eagles list isn't that bad. If I supported them I would be getting nervous about Simpson. Tactically I think the eagles play a very vanilla brand. Its still the fwds are the fwds the mids are the mids and the backs are the backs.
Decent forward line and decent back line, issue is by the time we draft or trade for some decent mids Kennedy will be gone, Lecras will be gone. etc. We will have a decent midfield with no one to kick it to.

Decent forward line and decent back line, issue is by the time we draft or trade for some decent mids Kennedy will be gone, Lecras will be gone. etc. We will have a decent midfield with no one to kick it to.

That first quarter suggests to me that Simpson didnt get them up for the game. I think the problem is in the box as well as an average midfield. Its average but not mega awful by the way. Simpson just doesnt inspire confidence in me when he talks or his presence.

They were both assistant coaches at Carlton over a decade ago

250512_spt_lyon_17rtrp4-17rtrp9.jpg

I knew a bloke who used to be in the inner sanctums of your club, don't know the exact details off by heart but after you guys lost the first derby in 2012 and Pav had a sad at Lyon, Lyon claimed you would never lose another if you follow his lead, and then went on an almighty rant about how you guys have been pissants basically your whole history and how we've been acting like kings, had a crack at our playing group and our culture, our (then) status with the media, apparently it was quite the impressive speech.

He strikes me as arrogant, which isn't always a bad thing, he is a good coach so he can be like that. Doesn't respect our midfield, Crowley never really is put to tag anyone on our team, he had a giggle at Basil Z the flog when Baz asked him who he'd put on Priddis in the derby last year, he got shitty at the prospect of us coming so close to winning the last derby last year (told Steve Harris to **** off after the final siren remember?) , refers to derbies as 'our grand final'. etc.

Anyways we don't exactly deserve respect at the present, our club is pissant now. Lyon throws respect at clubs that deserve it, especially Sydney where he was heralded whilst working there. Being complimentary to your opposition is basic PR in press conferences. He spoke up our midfield, told the media he expected a tough game, while probably having a bit of a giggle to himself and suppressing a smirk.

I see - cheers for the response. Always interesting to get a bit of an insight into the inner workings of the club sometimes. I suppose Lyon coming from Victoria, the concept of the derby/our rivalry was a little bit stupid to him which may well have lead to the comments that you suggest above.

Despite the games played in the media and the endless cliches which shed no light any matter, there is always a back story and a hidden agenda. For obvious reasons this isn't played out in public as to do so will give away trade secrets.

That first quarter suggests to me that Simpson didnt get them up for the game. I think the problem is in the box as well as an average midfield. Its average but not mega awful by the way. Simpson just doesnt inspire confidence in me when he talks or his presence.
Simpson had no idea what to do so he just flooded everyone in our defensive 50 (commentators jokingly referred to it as the soccer equivalent 'parking the bus'). Was the only time I have ever seen Simpson look so out of depth in a game before. Questions will be asked if he doesn't wield the axe at the end of the season. Butler, McGinnity, Hill amongst others need to go at seasons end.

So which game were they watching?

The opening paragraph of the West Coast match report on afl.com.au ...

A dominant three quarters from West Coast was not enough to defeat Fremantle who scored a comfortable 30-point win in Sunday's Derby at Domain Stadium.

http://www.westcoasteagles.com.au/news/2015-04-19/eagles-fall-to-freo

Oh dear, they really are delusional.

what was the deal with Barlow today? understand he's playing a different role, but barely sighted him in a game where you'd expect him popping up everywhere.

So which game were they watching?

The opening paragraph of the West Coast match report on afl.com.au ...

A dominant three quarters from West Coast was not enough to defeat Fremantle who scored a comfortable 30-point win in Sunday's Derby at Domain Stadium.

http://www.westcoasteagles.com.au/news/2015-04-19/eagles-fall-to-freo

Oh dear, they really are delusional.

Had to actually check to see if this was legit, wowsers. Roger Federer would be impressed with that spin.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

what was the deal with Barlow today? understand he's playing a different role, but barely sighted him in a game where you'd expect him popping up everywhere.

He's been a great player and I'm not writing him off but he is no longer the number one or two midfielder. Too many players have gone past him but that's not a bad thing. He is true quality but at the moment Fyfe, Mundy, Neale, Hill and Pearce (Ross would add Suban) are all more important than him.

When he gets it, he's all class. What a luxury to have.

Edit: What a load of crap that West article is. Watch Ross Lyons press conference, he doesn't give two hits about them taking the pedal of the metal in the last quarter. There's bigger fish to fry. (need more cliches)

I can upload the whole game to Youtube if you want. Might take a day or so.

Only if you have the time, it would be really appreciated. I'm not sure if any of the crew on here would enjoy going over it as well? Just think it's an interesting point to compare and contrast against.

Hawthorn flog weak teams.

That's who you have to compare against

Agreed, that's why it would be cool to see us in 2012 compared to now. When RTB came across he made it clear that we looked to beat the best, the best being the cats. He clearly had them sussed and we have consistently broken them down since his arrival.

He never got us to play like the Cats but instead focused on a gamestyle that would beat the Cats.

Now the Hawks are the best and RTB has said time and time again that they are the team to beat. He has got in close to Clarkson, trialed different approaches with varying success against them and seems like he is relatively settled for this year.

It seems as though RTB doesn't want to copy the Hawks, he wants to beat them. So I'm not sure if we will see us demolish teams like they do. As much as we'd like it, RTB doesn't go for it :/

Thanks for the offer of uploading the video. Was such a classic night!

We're vulnerable when a good small/medium forward gets hold of us. Wingard last year, Hannars, LeCras, Gunston, Gray, Rioloi, Bruest have all had days out in the last 2 years.

Realistically we aren't going to win every game and with a tight top of the table with realistically 5-6 possibly 7 teams fighting for top 4, % could be very important at the end of the season.
Looking at the draw, we should be aiming to win every game!....Realistically, "hard" games against the Swans, Hawks and then Port in the final round....every other game is a "should" win :)!! After the swans this week, we have 9 games that all should be wins....I would be disappointed if we lost any of them.

It's understandable to be frustrated with the final margin, I fell asleep at 3/4 time and was a bit pissed off with the final score.

But some seem to be ignoring that Sydney did a similar thing against GWS in the last quarter. If Sydney are going to ease up to conserve energy, it's probably wise to do the same thing.

I think the scoreboard impact went a few goals further than Ross would have liked, but so be it. Hopefully % doesn't cost us a spot at the end of the year, but the 4 points next week are more important than percentage.

Don't quite understand the overwhelming negativity here. We destroyed them in the first, ended the game as a contest and then cruised for the rest of the game to conserve bodies and reduce injuries. I know we all would of wanted to completely destroy the coasters by 100+ but ultimately risking an injury to say a Fyfe or a Pav isn't worth any percentage.

Also a couple here are talking about putting the foot down just to scare the opposition? I mean we all saw Hawthorn in round 1 and then round 2, if anything it motivates the other teams to really take on the best.

Speaking of Perth media - did you catch the interview after the game with Pav when he was presented with the derby trophy?

Was a tad awkward - Pav didn't want to talk, as he appeared to be annoyed at the last quarter, and Langdon kept pushing him for an answer.
Yeah Pav was quite heated when addressing the team in the huddle after the final siren which is contradictory considering Lyon didn't seem fussed about the last quarter in the presso.

Looking at the draw, we should be aiming to win every game!....Realistically, "hard" games against the Swans, Hawks and then Port in the final round....every other game is a "should" win :)!! After the swans this week, we have 9 games that all should be wins....I would be disappointed if we lost any of them.
Adelaide at the Oval I wouldn't put down as a should win and we always struggle against Richmond for some reason no matter what form we are in.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back