Opinion Mark Blicavs

Remove this Banner Ad

I only saw the last 10 minutes of the game. At the centre bounces it was Stanley (rucking), Selwood, Johnson and Blicavs. He didn't look out of place.

He started the game playing as the 3rd tall in defence, but at the start of the second half (after the loss of Bartel and Stokes), he went into the centre as a midfielder and I can't remember a center bounce in the second half that he wasn't involved with.

When we did need to send another tall back Clark seemed the preferred choice with Blicavs continuing with his midfield role. Blicavs did go 3rd man up at times, but it didn't seem to be a priority with the role he was playing; and totally agree he didn't look out of place.

He's the ultimate hybrid of a ruckman, a medium-tall defender, a stoppage midfielder and a wingman.

Sorry Riv... I think this guy should be our first preference in your spot.

he was good i have been a critic of him particularly in defense however i thought in the last being thrown in the middle he showed tremendous potential as a midfielder more so then what he has shown in the backline.

I thought his running patterns were elite.

Been saying that from day one. The way he moves without the ball is something some of the greats don't even master, let alone someone with Blitz's background. He knows how to position himself defensively, and has also learned quickly how to run into attacking positions when we have it.

He sets a tone for work rate too, kinda like what Maxy used to do when he was playing.

he was good i have been a critic of him particularly in defense however i thought in the last being thrown in the middle he showed tremendous potential as a midfielder more so then what he has shown in the backline.

yep gut running clearance mid who can go 3rd man up, also makes use of his best attribute

Blicavs finally plays a good game and the cult of Blicavs goes bananas. This is going to be a good show. one Blicavian labelled him as the second best player at our club. keep the comments coming.
Still think he should be in the VFL?

Blicavs finally plays a good game and the cult of Blicavs goes bananas. This is going to be a good show. one Blicavian labelled him as the second best player at our club. keep the comments coming.
Finally plays a good game? I thought he really turned a corner against Carlton last year, and this year has been in our best three weeks running.

Finally plays a good game? I thought he really turned a corner against Carlton last year, and this year has been in our best three weeks running.
did you go on the holidays last finals series when both his opponents were best on ground in both games? He was no where near the bests against Hawthorn. was flogged in the ruck. but has got better since now that he is rucking less. i look forward to see how he progresses this year now the ruck experiment is slowly ending.

C'mon Seedsy, admit it... You were wrong! :D

(Log in to remove this ad.)

did you go on the holidays last finals series when both his opponents were best on ground in both games? He was no where near the bests against Hawthorn. was flogged in the ruck. but has got better since now that he is rucking less. i look forward to see how he progresses this year now the ruck experiment is slowly ending.
I think you overstate it somewhat - firstly Hale was nowhere near the best (http://www.afl.com.au/match-centre/2014/24/haw-v-geel), and secondly he was trying to carry the ruck - for which he is undersized - with the company of a half-fit Hamish McIntosh, and Josh Walker. That's the equivalent of the old cliche about fish and climbing trees.

EDIT: And to answer your question, no I did not but in retrospect I wish I had!

Those denigrating Blicavs won't have much to say today….
Might be a great athlete but today he was a footballer - and as a footballer he won us that game at the end taking that mark and kicking that goal.

Sure, it was just one act - but he was very very good yesterday - after 48 games of AFL footy and about 60 in total.

Go Catters

Just keeps improving. Can't ask anymore.

Effort. Seems always there. not 100% effective all the time but he played more consistently than Caddy and Guthrie yesterday - two far more rated and liked as footballers.

The words from the club seem to point aways to his learning and trying at training. Picking people brains and even pissing them off with the appetite to get better. Can't fault that.

Go Catters

Is he our most improved player?
I'm struggling to think of another who have made a pretty sudden rise from best 22 to now a very important contributor to the team. Perhaps Duncan? But he has not gone on with it this season. Walker would be right up there although, very limited opportunities in the senior team to date.

Blicavs is one of the first picked every week now, and rightly so. I've always liked his endeavour, and some of the glimpses of talent he has provided. But yesterday there were times I had to do a double take and realise that neat clever little hand pass the the running player in space didn't come from selwood or johnson, it came from Blicavs. Coupled with his much improved tackling, kicking, taking contested grabs and killing a contest. We have a player who is becoming something pretty special I think.

Want to add, that although he's been good in defense. I don't want to waste him down there. We were getting killed at the contest until he moved into the middle yesterday. From the moment he went there we started to break even and look more damaging in transition.

He still has plenty to work on, but I want him in the guts.

BTW, called it in the offseason that Blicavs could grow into a very damaging onballer. He's moving very quickly in that direction.

Realistically though its almost as though I'd like to see him start on the bench every game, then move into the role which is giving us the most problems, because is becoming good in many roles. Just not tagging outside runners.

rooie certain members of the MC after yesterday's match where Blitz killed it in the centre.
tumblr_mt15x6oFnj1rdapy9o1_250.gif

i am really happy for the way it's worked out. I am still a fan of seeing project players learn in the VFL instead of the AFL however.

Just like i am glad to see these first year guys getting games, but am hopefully that jansen, cowan, kersten, kolo all get game time this year too. If these guys cant get into the team, we will be without that progression in our side in terms of age.

In this instance, getting experience into Blitz has really paid off. But what is to say getting experience into several other young guys who are on our list or recently departed might not have also seen them come along in the same leaps and bounds that blitz has?

Might Jansen have been best 22 by now if we pumped games into him when he didn't 'earn' them without perfect VFL form?

So yeah, really happy with his form, especially yesterday, but that doesn't mean we should always fast track non-footballers into an AFL team at the expense of guys who have played their whole lives. We may just be robbing peter to pay paul. Otherwise, lets get Lucey in this week!

BTW, called it in the offseason that Blicavs could grow into a very damaging onballer. He's moving very quickly in that direction.
During his press conference Scott said that whilst he though Blicavs was a defender many on the match committee didn't and thought was better suited to being a midfielder. Scott admitted that they might be right and he was coming around to their way of thinking. Watching his 3rd and 4th quarters I'd have to agree. He was fantastic at making room for Selwood, and he is deceptively good with his hands. Not to mention he's 95kgs (Fyfe is 90 and JPK is 96). Watch this space.

How good are his hands in traffic? Bloody good but quite unbelievable for someone from his background.
The handball intercept he did on the back flank that lead to the Motlop goal in the last was exquisite

Remove this Banner Ad

Back