Review R3: Port v North Melbourne Review

Remove this Banner Ad

I did a double fistpump when Broadbent kicked his goal because I pumped up his tires on another thread. Nice feeling when a player backs you up like that.

With Norf slotting them from everywhere(or so it seemed to me) there were some clutch goals from
Ebert(great 150th,well done Brad),Schulzy,Jasper,Cobra and Kane Mitchell.
Now if Nathan had kicked that one it would have been perfect.
We hung tough and ground out an important win.Why didn't that Norf team show up Rd1:mad:,
it would have saved us the torment of the avalanche of pro-crow'vertiser
front page/back page/centre spread and feature snippets that OUR man 'Fill' has delivered.

With Norf slotting them from everywhere(or so it seemed to me) there were some clutch goals from
Ebert(great 150th,well done Brad),Schulzy,Jasper,Cobra and Kane Mitchell.
Now if Nathan had kicked that one it would have been perfect.
We hung tough and ground out an important win.Why didn't that Norf team show up Rd1:mad:,
it would have saved us the torment of the avalanche of pro-crow'vertiser
front page/back page/centre spread and feature snippets that OUR man 'Fill' has delivered.
The proCrows media stuff is perfect for us this year. Enables us to pull our heads in after the preseason predictions of a flag, and get back to going about our business quietly.

The proCrows media stuff is perfect for us this year. Enables us to pull our heads in after the preseason predictions of a flag, and get back to going about our business quietly.

You know what I mean tho. Penberthy's relentless tyre pumping crows agenda is wearisome.
Popped over to the WCE n Freo boards last night to see how the Western Derrrby was playing out online.
Seems like the WA media have a similar pro-establishment bent over there as well. Snide comments from Freo fans
as to how the game would be written up for the masses cum Monday.
If its not to be our year would like to see the Dockers notch one.

I noticed we tried to kick to space a lot. So either kicking to touch or having white/wingard run on to the ball.

Only watched the first half so far but noticed Krak doing this several times. A lot to like about how Pittard and Krak used the ball coming out of the backline. Especially Jasper, often took the braver option and executed it to perfection. Without that we become a lot more predictable and easier to box in, and thats when the chippy chippy starts.

The pro Norf promos to begin the telecast had me thinking Norf were playing Norf.
That Port were a mere entree before the inevitable main course of a Kangas win.
No different to the heavily biased pre-game pump up for Richmond on EF day 2014.
Oh well,makes our wins all the sweeter.

Yeah I really enjoyed the North pre-game show .

Would've been great to see some highlights of premiership wins in the 1970s seguing into the 1990s.

Maybe a segment on the sodding and maintenance of Arden Street in the 1970s would have been entertaining and informative at the same time.

What I find hilarious about complaining about the umps is how about complaining about Thompson doing the EXACT SAME THING 3 TIMES!!!!!!!

Got pinged once, Normal person logic "Oh I might go for the ball next time and not just double grab the arm"

Got pinged twice, Normal person logic "Oh well this tactic isn't working, I'll stop double grabbing at the arm and go for the ball next time "

See where this is going.

youngy cannot be taken out of this team for anyone. he absolutely deserves his spot & needs to be playing full games. even though paddy missed that shot in the 4th, seeing him take that strong mark was an insight to what our forward line will look like with lobbe back. as much as kane has gotten under my nerves in the past, i can't & don't want to hate him. i probably couldn't be more proud it was him that had that last kick, i felt he deserved it, not because of the way he's been playing, purely for the fact of how much he's a team man & i'm a sucker for those feel good moments.

I like the new tactic from Schulz. After years of getting scragged by letting opponents near him he will just hold them off and if they dont let go will get pinged, at least this once (probably never get a free for it again).

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I like the new tactic from Schulz. After years of getting scragged by letting opponents near him he will just hold them off and if they dont let go will get pinged, at least this once (probably never get a free for it again).

Don't get too comfortable with this. Now that it's been highlighted ad nauseam by Richardson and BT expect the umpires to crack down on forwards who try and fight back.

All Thompson had to do was release Schulz's arm - the jumper grab would have been clearly visible and Thompson would have won 2 frees instead of giving away 2 dumb goals.

I'm not an expert but I'd think he would just push off and take the mark. The jumper hold would seem only to keep his arm planted so that Thompson can't knock it away.

I actually don't even see why it should be a free kick to Thompson at all, it isn't a non-contact sport.

Thompson got out positioned for mine, but like I said I'm not really an expert >_>

You know what I mean tho. Penberthy's relentless tyre pumping crows agenda is wearisome.
Popped over to the WCE n Freo boards last night to see how the Western Derrrby was playing out online.
Seems like the WA media have a similar pro-establishment bent over there as well. Snide comments from Freo fans
as to how the game would be written up for the masses cum Monday.
If its not to be our year would like to see the Dockers notch one.

No, it's not because WA media has a similar bias as SA media, it's because Freo supporters have an inferiority complex and now they believe they have had some sort of success and should be respected by all. Dockers are probably 3rd on my list of clubs I do not want to see notch one.

It will be reviewed all week and Schulz will be pinged for jumper holds at least 2 or 3 times against Hawks. Richo was hell bent on making it an issue to be reviewed.

Gutsy win, hopefully a season defining win, there was a lot riding on that game and to come out on top was such a relief. I was exhausted after that match, i feel like i really rode that game from start to finish, hopefully i get up for next week.

No, it's not because WA media has a similar bias as SA media, it's because Freo supporters have an inferiority complex and now they believe they have had some sort of success and should be respected by all. Dockers are probably 3rd on my list of clubs I do not want to see notch one.

Fair enough,I know nothing of WA media. It sounds like you live there or have some inside info?

Don't get too comfortable with this. Now that it's been highlighted ad nauseam by Richardson and BT expect the umpires to crack down on forwards who try and fight back.

If that happened sydney would be $10 mil out of pocket.

Anytime a defender is within arms reach of franklin , he has an arm back holding them. Franklin is sacred , they will never do anything to jeopardise his game. Hell they even made the natural arc rule up for him.

Last edited:
Port didn't win because of the umpiring, we got the better of a few 50/50 calls but you can't control umpiring decisions and Port won because we controlled the things that we could; we played the game at a tempo that suited our play, we rebounded brilliantly from half back, we held North's three talls well, kept attacking throughout the game and kept Goldstein accountable.

At the end of the day both teams will take a huge amount from this game - we were able to win our first game, getting valuable game time into Youngy, Ah chee and Krak and we played our attacking style of play. North know they are right up there again this year, can compete with a top 4 team without their best players and will definitely be around the mark come end of season

Roughead pushes, shoves and accentuates minimal contact against him all day in the butchery of the wounded Dogs at Aurora = smart play; yeah halfpint Scray defender infringed.

Jay has a rare day of protection after usually getting scragged relentlessly without recompense = gee, Schulz got his goals from frees, the umps should take a look at that.

Carn now, comms. Cameron Ling in particular. Fast outing himself as an absolute buffoon.

Friday night, "they should pay that 'mark' to Elliott cause it was exciting and that's what the fans want to see".

Saturday night, "here Scott Thompson, drink this, it's me fugmo tears".

Remove this Banner Ad

Back