HDFL 2015!

Remove this Banner Ad

When was the last time Natimuk or United could drop blokes to the twos or not play them at all as a penalty for not training? Good effort to resurrect themselves thus far.

The AFL Vic Country, North West Review, recommendations are out. Main points for HDFL are:
  • Mallee Football League to be discontinued
  • Southern Mallee Giants (Hopetoun-Beulah) to join Horsham DFNL, making the HDFNL a 12 club competition
  • Remaining Mallee League clubs (OUFL & WUFC and SLNFL & WLFC) to amalgamate and join either Sunraysia or Central Murray Leagues
  • Jeparit Rainbow to remain within HDFL
  • No forced mergers or movements for existing HDFNL clubs
  • HDFNL Seniors, Reserves & Juniors to play 16 on field and 3 interchange in all grades
  • Junior football age groups for HDFNL & WFL to remain Under 17s & Under 14's
  • Junior football registrations to be capped at 25 players per team for WFL clubs/teams and 23 players per team for HDFNL clubs/teams
  • Investigation of a promotion/relegation system between WFL & HDFNL (to be implemented on or before season 2018)
What are your thoughts? To me it appears just to be a contingency for the winding up of the Mallee League. I don't like the idea of Southern $$$$$ Mallee Giants joining HDFL, without any points systems or salary cap. But AFL Vic do say they are bringing these in.

Last edited:

The AFL Vic Country, North West Review, recommendations are out. Main points for HDFL are:
  • Mallee Football League to be discontinued
  • Southern Mallee Giants (Hopetoun-Beulah) to join Horsham DFNL, making the HDFNL a 12 club competition
  • Remaining Mallee League clubs (OUFL & WUFC and SLNFL & WLFC) to amalgamate and join either Sunraysia or Central Murray Leagues
  • Jeparit Rainbow to remain within HDFL
  • No forced mergers or movements for existing HDFNL clubs
  • HDFNL Seniors, Reserves & Juniors to play 16 on field and 3 interchange in all grades
  • Junior football age groups for HDFNL & WFL to remain Under 17s & Under 14's
  • Junior football registrations to be capped at 25 players per team for WFL clubs/teams and 23 players per team for HDFNL clubs/teams
  • Investigation of a promotion/relegation system between WFL & HDFNL (to be implemented on or before season 2018)
What are your thoughts? To me it appears just to be a contingency for the winding up of the Mallee League. I don't like the idea of Southern $$$$$ Mallee Giants joining HDFL, without any points systems or salary cap. But AFL Vic do say they are bringing these in.

Wow, some pretty interesting summary points. The main ones I'm concerned about are:
- Southern Mallee Giants joining the HDFL. I've heard it from a few of their current members that they can't wait to join because they can raid existing HDFL players. Clubs around here just can't compete with the dollars that they can afford to pay. I honestly thought the WFL would've been a better fit for them.
- No forced mergers is definitely a positive out of it.
- 16 on the field for all grades is a disgrace. Maybe that's ok for the ressies and the 14's but surely not for the 17's and definietly not for the seniors. If you can't field a side, merge.
- Just something I would like to know is the disparity between the number of junior players HDFL can register vs WFL. Is that because they will continue to play with 18 on the field?
- Promotion/relegation is all good and well but it needs to be based on the club championship points system to give an accurate reflection of the entire club, not just on the performance of 1 grade of 1 sport.

guess we'll find out end of june when Reviews completed also dont forget Wimmera FL also under review

guess we'll find out end of june when Reviews completed also dont forget Wimmera FL also under review
Of the Preliminary Recommendations, only the capping of junior registrations and the investigation of a future promotion/relegation system between the leagues appear to have a direct impact on Wimmera League.

I think senior football teams should continue do field 18 players. It's the day's marquee event and you have to have a full team. I like the capped numbers for junior teams all kids should be getting a game each week and it's ridiculous that some kids are only playing every second or third week while some teams struggle to field a team

Another very significant document was released today by AFL Victoria relating to the PLAYER POINTS and SALARY CAP which will be introduced across all leagues for the 2016 season. AFL Vic have set the systems in place for what points a player is worth and how the points and salary cap systems will operate but it will be up to the regional commissions to set what each club will have for their total pionts each year and what the salary cap will be for the league(s). I still don't think that this will stop under the table payments to players at clubs that are operating on low points.

You can read all about the salary cap and player points system by clicking on the following link and then opening the applicable document.
http://www.sportingpulse.com/club_info.cgi?c=1-6169-80618-0-0&sID=274870

Another very significant document was released today by AFL Victoria relating to the PLAYER POINTS and SALARY CAP which will be introduced across all leagues for the 2016 season. AFL Vic have set the systems in place for what points a player is worth and how the points and salary cap systems will operate but it will be up to the regional commissions to set what each club will have for their total pionts each year and what the salary cap will be for the league(s). I still don't think that this will stop under the table payments to players at clubs that are operating on low points.

You can read all about the salary cap and player points system by clicking on the following link and then opening the applicable document.
http://www.sportingpulse.com/club_info.cgi?c=1-6169-80618-0-0&sID=274870
and risk getting banned from the finals

Anyone able to inform us on what happened at the City Oval on Saturday in relation to the third quarter starting without Natimuk players on the field?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

AFL Wimmera Mallee have released the player points for each club for next season and also an estimated value for the salary cap for the 2017 season. I think the points are fairly high and I wouldn't think any club would be close to their cap. I can't see how it is fair that they plan to have a salary cap difference of $40,000 between clubs in the same league. What are your thoughts on these figures?

Laharum: 36 points, $90000
Kalkee: 38 points, $90000
Harrow Balmoral: 38 points, $110000
Taylors Lake: 38 points, $100000
Jeparit Rainbow: 42 points, $130000
Swifts: 38 points, $100000
Edenhope Apsley: 40 points, $100000
Noradjuha Quantong: 38 points, $100000
Rupanyup: 40 points, $120000
Pimpinio: 40 points, $110000
Natimuk United: 40 points, $110000
Southern Mallee Giants: 38 points, $120000

It's interesting that some of the lower placed teams are only two points different to sides in the top four (and that JR have got more points than all the teams that finished below them). Same thing with some of the proposed salary caps. I'd be more interested to know at this stage how they have gone about working these out - as I'd prefer to know more background before saying whether they are right are wrong. It would also be interesting to know how the teams from this year would have gone fitting into those points.

AFL Wimmera Mallee have released the player points for each club for next season and also an estimated value for the salary cap for the 2017 season. I think the points are fairly high and I wouldn't think any club would be close to their cap. I can't see how it is fair that they plan to have a salary cap difference of $40,000 between clubs in the same league. What are your thoughts on these figures?

Laharum: 36 points, $90000
Kalkee: 38 points, $90000
Harrow Balmoral: 38 points, $110000
Taylors Lake: 38 points, $100000
Jeparit Rainbow: 42 points, $130000
Swifts: 38 points, $100000
Edenhope Apsley: 40 points, $100000
Noradjuha Quantong: 38 points, $100000
Rupanyup: 40 points, $120000
Pimpinio: 40 points, $110000
Natimuk United: 40 points, $110000
Southern Mallee Giants: 38 points, $120000

It's interesting that some of the lower placed teams are only two points different to sides in the top four (and that JR have got more points than all the teams that finished below them). Same thing with some of the proposed salary caps. I'd be more interested to know at this stage how they have gone about working these out - as I'd prefer to know more background before saying whether they are right are wrong. It would also be interesting to know how the teams from this year would have gone fitting into those points.

also I read Edenhope Aplsey may not be in HDFL their considering merging with Border Districts and play in KNTFL in 2016

Yeah, I saw that. I thought it was surprising, but their logic seemed sound enough in that if it's going to happen eventually why bother delaying it until both clubs are on their knees. I think that would also take out the longest drive the Giants would have had to face?

Yeah, I saw that. I thought it was surprising, but their logic seemed sound enough in that if it's going to happen eventually why bother delaying it until both clubs are on their knees. I think that would also take out the longest drive the Giants would have had to face?
If you want to play Football U have to travel better then folding and having no football at all

If you want to play Football U have to travel better then folding and having no football at all
Yeah, I agree - but it's difficult for the likes of the junior footballers (and their families) in particular. And at roughly 230km, Hopetoun to Apsley is a bloody long drive (far longer than Nhill to Ararat, and that's a fair effort). Obviously if they do play next year they'll schedule the matches at the nearest merger town, but that won't help the people who live at the outer reaches. Personally, I think it would have made more sense for the Giants to be in the WFL - it would cut the travel and we need the numbers.

they may do like they did when Jeparit rainbow first came in the teams that a futherest away play SMG once away and next year @Home and sides close play twice
and coming from the Mallee i rfemeber when Southern and Northern Mallee Merged and we thought it was a long way to Underbool Manangatang and Ouyen & Sea Lake after first 1 or 2 trips to each it was a good trip always good to play new opposition gives the league a breath of fresh air :)

Last edited:

Remove this Banner Ad

Back