Coaching Staff Mark "Bomber" Thompson - Will present the Jock McHale Medal for 2023 - 4/9

Remove this Banner Ad

Was really like he gave stuff all about his playing career compared to coaching, I'm sure he still has admiration for it but it wasn't shown much in the interview in comparison to coaching achievements. Coaching the first Geelong premiership was the best day of his life but the 3 flags as a player didn't really get a mention. Only thing that stood out was that he was glad he stayed on to play his 200th.

Great interview enjoyed it. Glad it went for hour and not half hour gave more time for Mike to explore some areas

I didn't mind that it was all about the last few years. Let's not kid ourselves what the big issues are.

Biggest thing I took from it is he's still pissed off at the club and feels like he (and a few other incl Hird) were thrown under the bus with the way the club handled the whole situation.

Kept saying "I wish they looked after their people" and "they change their mind a lot"

Was really like he gave stuff all about his playing career compared to coaching, I'm sure he still has admiration for it but it wasn't shown much in the interview in comparison to coaching achievements. Coaching the first Geelong premiership was the best day of his life but the 3 flags as a player didn't really get a mention. Only thing that stood out was that he was glad he stayed on to play his 200th.
Mike didn't help. Should have started from the start. Went straight on to coaching Essendon.

he can say that he's barracking for Geelong, but I don't believe him. :)

bless you Bomber

(lived two doors down from him on Darling St, Moonee Ponds in the 80's; went to his first wedding, family friends etc).

he's struggled the last 24 months, as has every person involved with the club. he's dodged a few bullets though!

I like also how he said he was always going to pay that 30 grand 'fine'.

Doesn't whinge about it or sound bitter. Just getting on with life and accepting he was there at the time without having too much direct involvement.

" thirty thousand dollars is a lot of money Micheal"

He's very human.

I can't say I believe he was always honest during the interview. There's a few contradictions through out that irritate me a bit, but it did remind me how charismatic he can be.

Was disappointing to hear him say he'd barrack for Geelong vs Essendon...in what could be Fletcher's 400th potentially...

Overall the interview was good and confirmed my belief that EFC never actually broke any rules - merely just started something that could be frowned upon ethically.

Was disappointing to hear him say he'd barrack for Geelong vs Essendon...in what could be Fletcher's 400th potentially...

Overall the interview was good and confirmed my belief that EFC never actually broke any rules - merely just started something that could be frowned upon ethically.

He won't know who is barracking for until the ball bounces.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Just wondering, do you posters think he'll coach again?

Hard to tell the bloke changes his mind like the wind.

Imo he enjoys teaching and developing footballers so maybe a development type role at a club will suit him better that way he can enjoy what he loves doing with out the stresses and spotlight that you get from coaching,

Last edited:
Great interview enjoyed it. Glad it went for hour and not half hour gave more time for Mike to explore some areas
You mean it gave him more time to ask more questions about da drugz in an attempt to squeeze a headline out of him. We got bugger all about his childhood, family and his playing career was relegated to footnote status. I thought it was crap but it's what I expected so i cant say I'm too disappointed I suppose.

I'm with many here. I'm really pissed that a 3 time premiership player, premiership captain, number 20 in the Champions of Essendon, only had a few passing questions asked on his playing career. It's often what I enjoy about Open Mike, getting to see footage of the champs in their early playing days and then in their prime, getting to learn a bit about them as players and what they thought of footy back in the day.

Sure, it was good to hear Thompson's honest view on the saga but FMD, he's had a 30 year career, not one that started when he walked into Geelong 15 or so years ago.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back