Tom Boyd vs Jesse Hogan

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
And Hogan has the ability to smash packs and physicality hurt the opposition, Boyd doesn't have that and Im not sure he has that killer instinct. Looks a but ungainly and timid, whereas Hogan lives for the contest.
Boyd almost looks like he's trying not to hurt people more than anything, like he'd rather step alongside the opposition & reach over them than put his knee in their back. Definitely needs to add a bit of mongrel to his game.

I saw more positives in Tom Boyd against Haw than all the rest of his game to date given not many. Only glimpses but that's usually what you get from 19yo big units. I think he will be a star and still think he's more a Brad Ottens type than true full foreard. One criticism is he needs to work harder. He comes across as a guy that's always had his way dominating juniors. I'd like to see him work on the lead a lot more. Good signs tho.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yeah that's my criticism of him at the moment as well. Seems to want it bombed on his head rather than making a lead at the ball. I think that's a fitness issue though. He really shouldn't even be playing in the seniors at the moment given his lack of tank to run out games but we literally have no one else.

I was impressed with his field kicking yesterday. Showed a fair bit in that regard.

Boyd almost looks like he's trying not to hurt people more than anything, like he'd rather step alongside the opposition & reach over them than put his knee in their back. Definitely needs to add a bit of mongrel to his game.

Was he a basketballer before footy? I know that's how I played when I came across from basketball haha.

They just stuck for Boyd yesterday which was great to see. In the last two weeks he's got his hands to plenty in marking contests but they just haven't been sticking. Yesterday was the first time I've really seen that star potential from the kid. Thats against the best backline in the comp too, not to mention that we had very very few inside 50s across the game and when we did they were highly pressured and rushed entries, we also had to move our 2nd best KPF in Stringer into the midfield because of injuries and his only other help up there was ******* Ayce Cordy! Every time we went forward he looked dangerous really. Also his field kicking is absolutely superb. The skills on the bloke are genuinely unreal for a guy his size (field kicking, goal kicking, his handballs and just work in the contest at ground level), I hope he can build his tank up and start to play up the ground a bit more.

Boyd and Hogan are definitely different types. Boyd would prefer to just hold his ground jump up in the middle of a pack and just get higher than everyone else and clunk it or bring it to ground while Hogan would rather split the pack in half. I'd love Boyd to have Hogans kind of aggression in the contest but theres more than one way to skin a cat.

Hogan is a ready made leader

He kicked a goal late in the 3rd and he was waving his arms in the air trying to get the Team up again

Held his head high on arguably the best defender in the game Talia

Hogan is a ready made leader

He kicked a goal late in the 3rd and he was waving his arms in the air trying to get the Team up again

Held his head high on arguably the best defender in the game Talia

You could make the same arguments for Boyd. He oozes leadership and has done since his TAC Cup days. It's one of his strengths, his maturity and level-headedness. He was our best forward playing against the best team in the league, with guys like Lake and Gibson trying to stop him. Took big grabs and provided a presence up forward.

And the circle continues.

You could make the same arguments for Boyd. He oozes leadership and has done since his TAC Cup days. It's one of his strengths, his maturity and level-headedness. He was our best forward playing against the best team in the league, with guys like Lake and Gibson trying to stop him. Took big grabs and provided a presence up forward.

And the circle continues.
If he oozes leadership with maturity and level headedness why did he pussy out from GWS after one year?

He wi be a good player but spare me mate your going way overboard with that comment and i think GWS fans would agree with me also.

If he oozes leadership with maturity and level headedness why did he pussy out from GWS after one year?

He wi be a good player but spare me mate your going way overboard with that comment and i think GWS fans would agree with me also.
Because he got offered a massive deal?

Would a level-headed person ignore a big cash deal to go play a game in your hometown? Probably not. Of course GWS fans would agree with you. It suits them. At the same time they'd say Ryan Griffen is a good leader and great example for the younger players.

For what it's worth, the judgements on Boyd's maturity and leadership ability aren't just my observations. It was heavily noted pre-draft. Hell, he is even partly responsible for Petracca's rise.

http://www.afl.com.au/news/2014-10-...acca-the-joker-gets-a-clip-and-knuckles-down-

"I've definitely improved since last year, when Tom Boyd gave me a little clip. It was more in a friendly way, but he said 'Mate, you just need to relax'. He said I can get a bit annoying, but other than that it was good.

Boyd cops it far too much here. It's not his fault he was offered a lot of money to return to Victoria but the kid is going to be a quality player in time. From afar he doesn't look like he has the natural aggression that Hogan has but he's a massive unit and when his body matures he's going to be hard to stop. He'll compliment the other doggie forwards very nicely, Stringer is the one that will probably benefit the most.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Yeah that's my criticism of him at the moment as well. Seems to want it bombed on his head rather than making a lead at the ball. I think that's a fitness issue though. He really shouldn't even be playing in the seniors at the moment given his lack of tank to run out games but we literally have no one else.

I was impressed with his field kicking yesterday. Showed a fair bit in that regard.

Boyd's kicking is super impressive. Is a dead Eye kick for Goal which apart from Dickson not many on our list are but around the ground his foot skills are also good and hits targets. Alot to like. Hopefully the game on the weekend gets his confidence up.

Boyd cops it far too much here. It's not his fault he was offered a lot of money to return to Victoria but the kid is going to be a quality player in time. From afar he doesn't look like he has the natural aggression that Hogan has but he's a massive unit and when his body matures he's going to be hard to stop. He'll compliment the other doggie forwards very nicely, Stringer is the one that will probably benefit the most.

Yep, Aggression is something Boyd doesn't seem to have. It's like he doesn't want to hurt people but i wouldn't be surprised if he doesn't want to hurt himself. He seems like the sort of guy that would be dirty to be receiving 1mil a year to sit on the sidelines.

Yep, Aggression is something Boyd doesn't seem to have. It's like he doesn't want to hurt people but i wouldn't be surprised if he doesn't want to hurt himself. He seems like the sort of guy that would be dirty to be receiving 1mil a year to sit on the sidelines.
id prefer him not to be a bash and crash type like jono brown ......how many injuries did he recieve

Really who cares who will be a better player both teams needed a KPF and both teams look like they have one to build a team around, I think in 3 or 4 years time and both Boyd and Hogan are in top 3 or 4 forwards in the competition both team will be very happy.

spot on demon21......think both sides would like to have both boys in their set up TBH.......not to be and hopefully both can provide their respective fans many years of goal kicking enjoyment.......Hogan just looks more ready to go impact wise, Boyd is finding his way to a certain degree, especially with the money WBD have invested in him hanging over his head, big ask even if the kid is level headed and may say it doesn't worry him. Hopefully Beveridge can just let the kid play with no expectations but just keep on providing a target and presenting himself to each contest, some he will win plenty he will lose......maximum efficiency is all the kid needs most weeks to win the WBD clan over.....even if its 3 kicks for 3 goals, his mere presence should help cut some slack for some of WBD other forwards.......

Using the phrase 'pussy out' to cast aspersions on someone's maturity?

I hope the irony isn't lost on you.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back