Who has been the best key forward since Carey?

Remove this Banner Ad

Never has Riewoldt had a better season than Franklins 2008.

Buddy was also better in 2010, and arguably 2007

Yes 2008, no 2007, yes 2010 but only because Riewoldt ripped his hamstring off the bone, but he still the best forward coming into the season, started on fire and was top notch once he came back.

So again for slow folks like yourself; from 2005-2010, as in over the entire period, Nick Riewoldt was the premier key forward in the competition.

Yes 2008, no 2007, yes 2010 but only because Riewoldt ripped his hamstring off the bone, but he still the best forward coming into the season, started on fire and was top notch once he came back.

So again for slow folks like yourself; from 2005-2010, as in over the entire period, Nick Riewoldt was the premier key forward in the competition.

Is a nice, user friendly way to present your argument mate, but it doesn't make Riewoldt a better player than Franklin.

Never has Riewoldt had a better season than Franklins 2008.

Buddy was also better in 2010, and arguably 2007

Riewoldt has played in a lesser team. Yes, St. Kilda played in Grand Finals but they were probably off the boot of Riewoldt who single handedly destroyed us in the Prelim. I would say raw talent Buddy has him covered but for the overall, hard-working package give me Riewoldt any day of the week.

Also Riewoldt and Buddy are not hard to split. Buddy has him covered comfortably.

Franklin does his best work in far more damaging spots and wins more matches off his own boot. Also has a superior finals record.
I rate Roo and would have him 3rd, but given the choice of the 2 as kids with the power of hindsight id take Buddy easily.

easy to have a better finals record when you look at the teams each have played in...

Makes no sense mate. Both teams were obviously good enough to make finals, so the "X played in a better team" shouldn't apply to a discussion about finals records.

That's moronic. Finishing 8th each year will have a different result to finishing first each year.

You can compare finals performance against their home and away peformance, but saying player X kicked more goals than player Y in finals doesn't do much as a direct comparison.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

At their peaks. Brown. Lloyd best FF though.
Pavlich, who was an AA in 2010 at Full Back, played half his career as a mid. Apples and oranges putting him on a list with guys like Fev and Loyd; who were both wonderful Full Forwards. Brown was a brute force, and Riewoldt could do anything even at his own peril.

Anyway, Brown for mine (so strong) - just ahead of Lloyd. Very different types of players though.

Man, this is hard..

Carey
daylight
J Brown
Buddy
Lloyd
Tredrea
C Grant
Richo
Pav
Hall
N Riewoldt
Fev
J Riewoldt
J Kennedy
S Lucas
Roughead
Hawkins

IMO

Last edited:
That's moronic. Finishing 8th each year will have a different result to finishing first each year.

You can compare finals performance against their home and away peformance, but saying player X kicked more goals than player Y in finals doesn't do much as a direct comparison.

I never said any of that. What are you trying to counter?

My post was responding to a previous post, which in reference to finals record, said "Its easier to have a better finals record when you consider the teams both played in"

Both teams were near the top and some point, and both players have played plenty of finals.

Carey
daylight
J Brown
Buddy
Lloyd
Tredrea
C Grant
Richo
Pav
Hall
N Riewoldt
Fev
J Riewoldt
S Lucas
Roughead
Hawkins

IMO
Think Kennedy deserves a bit of recognition here. As a forward and taking into account he won the goal kicking last year and has been right up there in other years would put him ahead of J Riewoldt at least? In fact I think he deserves to be just after Tredrea in my opinion, not taking anything away from the others. Also think Fev deserves to be higher.

Think Kennedy deserves a bit of recognition here. As a forward and taking into account he won the goal kicking last year and has been right up there in other years would put him ahead of J Riewoldt at least? In fact I think he deserves to be just after Tredrea in my opinion, not taking anything away from the others. Also think Fev deserves to be higher.
No. Just no.

Brown and Lloyd.
Nick Roo too,
Struggle after that,
Probably Roughy and Pavlich.
Franklin I struggle to categorize as a genuine key forward. He is more like a tall half forward flanker although in a few seasons he did play key forward but one on one his contested marking is not the stuff of an elite key forward.

Fixed
Ta 4 that
I put him one spot after J Riewoldt

Brown and Lloyd.
Nick Roo too,
Struggle after that,
Probably Roughy and Pavlich.
Franklin I struggle to categorize as a genuine key forward. He is more like a tall half forward flanker although in a few seasons he did play key forward but one on one his contested marking is not the stuff of an elite key forward.
I agree that he can be a little awkward overhead but I think you would be surprised to learn that he averages more contested marks over his career than both Pavlich and Roughead. Roughead and Pav have their own unique hybrid forward/mid styles too including goals on the run. Buddy is a key forward, no doubt about it. He is just a freak athlete.

I agree that he can be a little awkward overhead but I think you would be surprised to learn that he averages more contested marks over his career than both Pavlich and Roughead. Roughead and Pav have their own unique hybrid forward/mid styles too including goals on the run. Buddy is a key forward, no doubt about it. He is just a freak athlete.

Agreed, but as a key forward I don't rate him with the likes of the Carey, Jonathon Brown, Nic Riewoldt and Stephen Kernahan types to take big pack marks we you need in big games. His strength is his agility but the best key forwards are there to take big marks and convert. He is just not elite in that area, he is not bad but he is not in their company. I also forgot to mention Warren Tredrea in my earlier post. He was a good pack mark too and deserves to be mentioned in the conversation after the Brown and Riewoldt types since Wayne Carey era passed.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back