Boxing May 2nd - Floyd Mayweather Jr vs Manny Pacquiao

Remove this Banner Ad

2 weeks to go. Seriously getting chills. Cannot wait.

No 24/7 but HBO have done a 1-hour special on Pacquiao that aired tonight. And Showtime have their own 4-part series on Mayweather.

What's your prediction?

I think 5 years ago Manny was a real chance of stopping Mayweather. But I think his chance has come and gone. Sure hope I'm wrong though.

What's your prediction?

I think 5 years ago Manny was a real chance of stopping Mayweather. But I think his chance has come and gone. Sure hope I'm wrong though.

The way Maidana got into Floyd leaves me with some hope. Pac's a much smarter boxer than Maidana so if he's relentless enough he might be able to outwork Floyd. And if it things outside of boxing mattered, Pac hates the guy, and is the underdog. How much weight you can put into that I'm not sure, but it's a reason why I still love this fight even if its 5 years past its due date.

But Mayweather's the greatest defensive fighter there's ever been. Unless we see some massive drop off in his reflexes or his chin fails him for the first time, I struggle to justify reasons for why he'd lose.

The way Maidana got into Floyd leaves me with some hope. Pac's a much smarter boxer than Maidana so if he's relentless enough he might be able to outwork Floyd. And if it things outside of boxing mattered, Pac hates the guy, and is the underdog. How much weight you can put into that I'm not sure, but it's a reason why I still love this fight even if its 5 years past its due date.

But Mayweather's the greatest defensive fighter there's ever been. Unless we see some massive drop off in his reflexes or his chin fails him for the first time, I struggle to justify reasons for why he'd lose.

I think Mayweather will look to keep Manny away with his speed, longer jab and evasive skills, and just try to wear Manny down - all the while accumulating rounds. Manny's explosive power seems to have fallen away and unless he manages to hurt Mayweather early, he probably won't get a look in.

Fighters can turn old almost overnight as we've seen in the past. Could happen to either here, more likely Manny I'm thinking.

zY9gEjp.gif

I'll believe it when they touch gloves, until then it's only a rumour.

And who will announce it, Buffer or Jimmy?

Both are doing the intro like with Lewis-Tyson.

Not sure about the decision as you can't have the winners guy do it as it gives it away.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Both are doing the intro like with Lewis-Tyson.

Not sure about the decision as you can't have the winners guy do it as it gives it away.

Nothing small about this fight. I sure hope the contest lives up to the hype.

Heart says pacquiao, head says mayweather in a very boring anti climatic last 8 rounds. I hope it is an exciting fight though. where is everyone watching?

What's your prediction?

Mayweather is clever, waited just long enough. ******* turd.

Im picking Pac to win a close decision. Watching De La Hoya land his left jab against Floyd last night before he ran out of gas as usual, Floyd couldn't really avoid it at all. I think Manny's left will land enough to make Floyd cautious early and lose rounds. FLoyd will adjust but Pac isnt going to gas like his usual opponents and might be able to rally late and take it.

Pac isnt the same fighter he was but Floyd isnt either, he's fought a long line of hand-picked flat-footed sluggers since Mosley and the fact that he struggled with someone like Maidana twice (Who Devon Alexander outboxed to a shutout) shows he's well past his best. He'll be suprised how quaicjly a little guy like Pac can close the range and land.

Also I think the crowd will be on Pac's side so he might get any closed rounds.

Im picking Pac to win a close decision. Watching De La Hoya land his left jab against Floyd last night before he ran out of gas as usual, Floyd couldn't really avoid it at all. I think Manny's left will land enough to make Floyd cautious early and lose rounds. FLoyd will adjust but Pac isnt going to gas like his usual opponents and might be able to rally late and take it.

Pac isnt the same fighter he was but Floyd isnt either, he's fought a long line of hand-picked flat-footed sluggers since Mosley and the fact that he struggled with someone like Maidana twice (Who Devon Alexander outboxed to a shutout) shows he's well past his best. He'll be suprised how quaicjly a little guy like Pac can close the range and land.

Also I think the crowd will be on Pac's side so he might get any closed rounds.

Yeah Pacquiao has to use the left as a lead more than he ever has given Floyd will counter over that probing jab with that quick left hook. Floyd is quite unconventional against southpaws in that he tends to circle to his right (traditionally an orthodox fighter should aim to circle left against a southpaw to avoid walking into the straight left), so we've seen some southpaws have success with the straight left against him - even in his prime. This will play into Pacquiao's hands to an extent and he will have to exploit it.

The key for Manny will be to avoid lunging in when Floyd moves back; it will go against his instinct but he can't fall into the trap or he will be stopped (ala Marquez IV). He'll have to use his lateral movement instead, create angles, throw a hard straight left to the body or upstairs - or even a quick combination - then get out. Actively pursuing a knockout will be his undoing, but I wouldn't be surprised if he scores a knockdown or two just from employing this strategy. He has to be disciplined in his approach for the entire 12 rounds to win a decision.

Last edited:
I agree. Mayweather, as stated earlier by someone else, has waited until Manny no longer presented a threat to him.

Still, in boxing you are always only one punch from disaster. Sure hope Mayweather's disaster arrives in this one.
I think people are underestimating Manny. Mayweather could win a wide decision but it will be a competitive fight regardless.

I think people are underestimating Manny. Mayweather could win a wide decision but it will be a competitive fight regardless.

I'm a great Manny believer. The guy has been a superman and achieved stuff no one else ever has.

But he has been fighting pro for 20 years now and the most recent signs don't suggest he can beat Mayweather who has height and 5 inches of reach on him.

Don't get me wrong. I'll be dancing in the street should Manny get the job done.

I'm a great Manny believer. The guy has been a superman and achieved stuff no one else ever has.

But he has been fighting pro for 20 years now and the most recent signs don't suggest he can beat Mayweather who has height and 5 inches of reach on him.

Don't get me wrong. I'll be dancing in the street should Manny get the job done.

Yeah I will too. :D

I just have a feeling about this fight the closer we get (I initially thought it would be a comfortable Floyd victory). After Pacquiao beat Morales in the second fight, a few of his die-hard fans suggested that he would soon be beating the likes of Ricky Hatton and Miguel Cotto on ESB and the like. They were laughed out of the joint. A few short years later he had destroyed De La Hoya, Cotto, Hatton, old Mosley and Margarito and made the all-knowing boxing community look like fools. Yes, that was a prime Pacquiao. Yes, his style was suited to come forward fighters. But I just can't count him out... he has the weapons to really trouble Floyd (except for a good jab - but the straight left from a southpaw will compensate for that). If Pacquiao gets through his guard and hurts him early, it could be very interesting to see how Floyd and his ego react on the biggest boxing stage since the fab 4 were doing the rounds. I just have this strange feeling that this fight will not go as expected...... I just really hope it isn't an early stoppage for Floyd. :oops:

If Pacquiao can be disciplined with his movement and aggression, avoid early body shots in order to maintain his workrate for 12 rounds, and either use the lead left hand more often or use his jab as more than a probe.... he is eyes-deep in this fight.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back