Other All things Snooker

Remove this Banner Ad

Have you heard Dominic Dale talk about cues? He even collects old cue catalogues.

Yeah it is definitely a hobby Cue collecting and or anything to do with them. If you can get on a Cue maker early enough when they are starting once they become popular the price of their Cues will triple at least if not more.

Trevor White who is the best Cue maker out there right now (and above John Parris IMO even though Parris has the Pro market ) started as a hobby maker and just got his name as he was being recognised all over the place. Trevor White Cues 8 years ago were only about 200 pound in the U.K but now they are going for over 1000 Pound and have an 18 Mth waiting list for him to make one for you if he even takes your order. John Parris has similar waiting times and his Ultimate range start at close to 1000 Pound with more of a wait to!!

Any 2nd hand Parris Ultimate or Trevor White Cue are commanding massive money on Ebay and the like or U.K Snooker forums. Mike Wooldridge Cues are very highly regarded and his waiting time is much less as he has stocked dried out Ash shafts for years that are ready to go. No Wooldridge Cue will be had for under 450 pounds then double it to get it here to Oz with the current exchange rate etc and postage.

So many Cue makers are still up and coming like Andy Travis / Jason Owen / Coutts / Jim Black as well as many more. Plenty of decent Thai Cues out there to like my Phoenix and O'Min but beware of the Chinese cheap copies as they are everywhere...... Gotta pick your buyer and know how to spot a Chinese fake.

This is probably one of the best insights into a World champions life and this Selby doco is excellent and a must watch. Most players are born with natural ability like Ronnie and Judd Trump but Selby was different to an extent and this insight into his life and how he grew up in the slums and lost his Father at a young age etc. So much hardship and Selby is a great bloke and excellent player.

Really hits home this story and this only aired in the U.K about a month ago.

It'll be a while before I'm anywhere near the market for this kind of stuff!

Depends how often you play and how serious you want to take the game i guess.

Any Cue made in Australia is rubbish and i cringe seeing bogan Jim Beam labels on Cues and center jointed rubbish that are not even good for fire wood. ANY Cue that has bee chopped in half is crap as the balance points are all up the s**t no matter who made it! Very hard to get decent Cues here in Oz with only 1 decent online supplier but he is limited in what he stocks Cue wise.

You have to be around U.K Snooker forums and contact makers directly.

Depends how often you play and how serious you want to take the game i guess.

Any Cue made in Australia is rubbish and i cringe seeing bogan Jim Beam labels on Cues and center jointed rubbish that are not even good for fire wood. ANY Cue that has bee chopped in half is crap as the balance points are all up the s**t no matter who made it! Very hard to get decent Cues here in Oz with only 1 decent online supplier but he is limited in what he stocks Cue wise.

You have to be around U.K Snooker forums and contact makers directly.

Well Hendry won all of his world championships with a warped 40 pound cue (his career only putting the skids on when it was broken), John Spencer used an old club rental cue, and Steve Davis soldiered on pretty well with his cue being cut in half, so I think there's a bit more to successful snooker than having a top-shelf cue.

Yes, I've seen the Selby documentary. It was OK - could have been half as long; a single chapter of Burns's 'Pocket Money' has much more interesting stuff in it - and I think they could have waited for him to win another big title before they made it, but Snooker is desperate for a new hero so ...

25 minutes until Neil Robertson plays his Round One match in the World Championship again Jamie Jones.
Robbo looking good at 7-2 up against Jamie Jones heading into the last session needing only 3 frames to win.

McGill taking out Maguire was HUGE and gee this young Scottish Red head has loads of talent and still getting better, McGill has Selby next though and will be a big underdog in that match but i reckon he can do it really stamping his authority on the tour. I even had a sneaky small nibble at 81-1 for McGill to win the whole thing cause IF he gets past Selby the draw opens up for him heaps.

Watched the whole Selby V Maflin match and gee Maflin had heaps of opportunities to win that game but did not have the mental edge missing easy Reds in the final frames and lacking at building a break when it really counted. Selby was just his professional self even when down and gritted it out like he usually does with nerves of steel. :thumbsu:

McGill V Selby match i cannot wait for and whoever wins will go DEEP in this tournament.

Maguire V McGill final frame here after McGill lead 9-5 then Maguire just had him sitting in his chair to level it up at 9-9!!

Fantastic 122 break in a deciding frame of a WC match. There was no way known McGill would of done this 12 Mths ago in a decider and gee he has improved taking his game to another level lately.

It's good to see McGill firing again. My partner and I got pretty excited about him last year - I think it was when he beat Higgins in the Last 16 of the 2014 UK Championship, but he's been a bit quieter since. Great to see him up and about.

I tried watching Robertson last night but couldn't keep the eyelids open. Trouble with the stream meant I missed his big break in the first mini-session and I watched the last 2/3 frames of the second mini-session half-conscious. Right know we're watching the last of the Selt/Hawkins match and after that I'll see if I can watch the rest of the Robertson game.

It's good to see McGill firing again. My partner and I got pretty excited about him last year - I think it was when he beat Higgins in the Last 16 of the 2014 UK Championship, but he's been a bit quieter since. Great to see him up and about.

I tried watching Robertson last night but couldn't keep the eyelids open. Trouble with the stream meant I missed his big break in the first mini-session and I watched the last 2/3 frames of the second mini-session half-conscious. Right know we're watching the last of the Selt/Hawkins match and after that I'll see if I can watch the rest of the Robertson game.

Same here!

By 10pm i am gone though with 5am out of bed for work 6 days a week and spewing Robbo is on in the arvo not morning sessions to make it easier for us to watch him!

You do well! I love it when the snooker's on in Eastern Europe or Eastern Asia ... so much easier to get games in the early morning or early afternoon.

You do well! I love it when the snooker's on in Eastern Europe or Eastern Asia ... so much easier to get games in the early morning or early afternoon.

Yeah the Asian time zones are much more friendly for us here in Oz.

Also i finally got my hands a John Parris Cue!! It is not an Ultimate ( Waiting time of 18Mths and 1000 pounds ) but all of Parris Cues are very highly regarded and Neil is still playing with his Parris Paragon model that he got when he was 18yo from his Dad. He had it re-spliced not long ago but it is still the original Paragon Ash shaft and he has never changed Cues yet.

I got my hands on a Parris Champion Cue from the U.K and it is arriving on Friday according to Fed Ex! I was lucky to get it in my Specs exactly and it is only 6 Mths old so i avoid the 3 Mth minimum wait time for this model if i had of ordered it myself. Comes with a 75 pound Cue Craft case as well and Parris Cue towel thrown in! Total price was cheaper than a brand new single Cue order even with the case, and i have been waiting 12 Mths for a find like this with a few U.K contacts keeping an eye out for me.

Parris%201_zpsytlf0div.jpg

Parris%203_zpstusn4gor.jpg

Parris%204_zpsqnqzhzul.jpg

Cant wait to have it in my hands!

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Very nice! I see it's got what looks like a Cuetec bowtie tip-tool as well.

Yeah he threw that in and you have good eyes!

I have a Cuetech tip tool and does the job well so a free Bowtie i will take! ;)

It is fitted with a Blue Diamond Tip which i am not a fan of and a Mike Wooldridge super tip is ready and waiting as soon as i get it.

I find the idea of playing with a maple shaft a little odd now - i just love the grain acting as a aiming aid.

I don't like Maples as they are to stiff for me and i like the flex an Ash shaft gives as long as they are not to flexible as then they become " Whippy " affecting shots played with side on the cue ball. Not all Maple shafts are stiff but i am yet to play with one i have liked and will never buy one personally but each to their own.

Also McGill is into 50-1 now from 80-1 in all markets but still great value for a decent player.

If he gets past Selby he will be 10-1 and this is the crunch match for him but i reckon he can push Mark and then it is anyones game if it comes down to a final frame.

Ding V Davis about to kick off soon and i reckon Davis will win with a current 4-3 lead.

Ding as good as he is has been out of sorts for close to 12 Mths now and really in a bad patch of form. When you watch him he is feathering the Cue ball heaps now to get his timing right and taking close to 30 secs between shots which is not him, when he was winning heaps of tournaments he was one of the faster players on the tour and just got down in his stance and went BANG!! Now he is all over the shop and even his shot selection is up the s**t.

Yeah he threw that in and you have good eyes!

I have a Cuetech tip tool and does the job well so a free Bowtie i will take! ;)

It is fitted with a Blue Diamond Tip which i am not a fan of and a Mike Wooldridge super tip is ready and waiting as soon as i get it.

Hah! Thanks.

No harm in having an extra tip tool.

I'd love to start experimenting with tips. I have some of those chalkless tips - I read they're not so great for snooker, but I'd love to see just how inadequate they are.

Hah! Thanks.

No harm in having an extra tip tool.

I'd love to start experimenting with tips. I have some of those chalkless tips - I read they're not so great for snooker, but I'd love to see just how inadequate they are.

Chalkless Tips are a gimmick and rubbish!

Mate i have tried em all!! Elks / Blue Diamonds / Pressed / Laminated / Moori / G2 / Kamui / Phoenix and the list goes on.......

The new Elks are not like the ones they use to make and even Ronnie O'Sullivan complained about them as he is an Elk master lover, out a box of 50 i reckon around 10 are good to play with after you go through the whole box. Hardest thing is not buying a box of copies that have been made in China so you have to trust your supplier as the fakes are identical from outside the box nearly.

Mike Wooldridge Tips are the best i have ever used personally but they are expensive at close to 7 pound a Tip and he makes them himself so supply is not always there but they are a much better player than any Elk i have come across with perfect firmness so they do not Mushroom on you after a few frames yet soft enough for outstanding Cue ball reaction without the feel of having a piece of lead on the end of your Cue which has you scared to play a deep screw shot in case you miss cue and jump the ball not to mention taking a divot out of your cloth, Tips that are to hard always do this.

Last edited:
Ding V Davis about to kick off soon and i reckon Davis will win with a current 4-3 lead.

Ding as good as he is has been out of sorts for close to 12 Mths now and really in a bad patch of form. When you watch him he is feathering the Cue ball heaps now to get his timing right and taking close to 30 secs between shots which is not him, when he was winning heaps of tournaments he was one of the faster players on the tour and just got down in his stance and went BANG!! Now he is all over the shop and even his shot selection is up the s**t.

Interesting observation. He's also lost a bit of weight. He's making some changes, by the looks of things. He's had some trouble too with the 'powers that be', so his head might be in the wrong place/s. I hope he gets it all together soon: it's not often you hear Ronnie praise a player like he's praised Ding.

Interesting observation. He's also lost a bit of weight. He's making some changes, by the looks of things. He's had some trouble too with the 'powers that be', so his head might be in the wrong place/s. I hope he gets it all together soon: it's not often you hear Ronnie praise a player like he's praised Ding.

Looks to be back on form now! Just missed a 147 when he forgot he was on one and i have never seen that before!

Davis on the ropes and the Ding of old is back currently.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back