2015 Non-Crows AFL Discussion - Pt. 1

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
No

Wines has been consistently good, rarely great and occasionally poor as he has struggled to run out a season.

I assume you didn't watch our finals last year ? (I can only assume you are thinking back to 2013 when he dropped off over the last 6 weeks or so).
In 2014 he averaged 24 and a bit touches a game, and 23 in finals.
Re running out a season its an unfair comparison of the two as Crouch due to injury hasn't been able to either.
I'm not sure why there's the constant need from both sides of the fence to compare the two, both have heaps of talent and heaps of upside.

Wayne Carey suffers from the Halo effect - had an affair so now everyone considers him a prick.
Also turns into a different animal when drinking (or when he was taking drugs).

Wayne Carey suffers from the Halo effect - had an affair so now everyone considers him a prick.

umm...

I'm not so concerned about his lack of commitment to monogamy...

rather his penchant for smashing glass over someone's head when he's drunk...

the fact this mug has a job back on the tv screen is a bit of an indictment...

I'm not sure why there's the constant need from both sides of the fence to compare the two, both have heaps of talent and heaps of upside.
I think it started after the Ebert V Dangerfield thread closed.
Also turns into a different animal when drinking (or when he was taking drugs).
Looks like he has cleaned his act up now, something Ben Cousins should do.

That is harsh and if I might add seen through filtered glasses of an opposition supporter.

I have seen similar posts regarding Crouch and other potential stars, as in people going out of their way to find anything remotely negative true or otherwise. They too were seen through filtered glasses.

Struggled to run out a season? Which, his first ever season when he got thrown to the wolves and plonked in the hardest and toughest position to play in?

On exposed form Wines has the potential of a top 5 player competition wise, and whilst I don't think is in our top 5 players just yet he is very close to it.

On exposed form wines is nothing at all like a comp wide top 5 player. Club wide probably

umm...

I'm not so concerned about his lack of commitment to monogamy...

rather his penchant for smashing glass over someone's head when he's drunk...

the fact this mug has a job back on the tv screen is a bit of an indictment...
well there is always that fact which I didn't know.

Still I don't really know the circimstances etc so I ain't throwing no stones.

Disagree. Wines has been consistently good, and mostly very good, with the occassional quiet game as youw would expect from a youngster. He kicks cluth goals. Crouch has missed too much footy and is behind Wines at this stage by a margin IMO.

Based on the last 10 or so games from last year I seem to recall crouch polling the most b&f votes at the club

no alone on that I would suggest.

but as I just said, wasn't aware of the subsequent issues, hopefully for his health sake he has worked them out.
As you know, some people become violent (& completely different) when drinking alcohol, so they should know this & not drink!

On exposed form wines is nothing at all like a comp wide top 5 player. Club wide probably

How do you make this call ... what is your definition. (This isn't really a Wines question, but general)

While I don't think he's anywhere near top 5 at the moment, on pure numbers alone he compares favourably to at least one player often regarded as top 5 or higher. What isn't easy to do is translate statistics into impact on game. (certainly based on age his numbers are up there with anyone in the game at the same point, however this of course doesn't predict the future)

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

How do you make this call ... what is your definition. (This isn't really a Wines question, but general)

While I don't think he's anywhere near top 5 at the moment, on pure numbers alone he compares favourably to at least one player often regarded as top 5 or higher. What isn't easy to do is translate statistics into impact on game. (certainly based on age his numbers are up there with anyone in the game at the same point, however this of course doesn't predict the future)
Depends what numbers you are talking about. On average disposals alone, B Crouch is better than Nat Fyfe, P Dangerfield, O wines, and is one disposal per game below J Selwood and Scott Pendlebury.

Olly's numbers for age - impressive indeed, but you guessed it, they're less than B Crouch's numbers for the same age. So which numbers provide the best indication? As you say, how do you put solid numbers to 'impact on game'?

Last edited:
Wines is a gun. I don't know how people can say Crouch is definitely the better player. Similar output when both in form. Unfortunately for crouch he hasn't had the same amount of game time to develop due to injuries.

Depends what numbers you are talking about. On average disposals alone, B Crouch is better than Nat Fyfe, P Dangerfield, O wines, and is one disposal per game below J Selwood and Scott Pendlebury.

Olly's numbers for age - impressive indeed, but you guessed it, they're less than B Crouch's numbers for the same age. So which numbers provide the best indication? As you say, how do you put solid numbers to 'impact on game'?

So you're agreeing with me ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back