militiaa

Team Captain
Jul 3, 2013
Victoria
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
Minnesota Wild/ Minnesota Vikings
Yes, he admits there were mistakes in the 2012 supplements regime as everyone would agree. But farrk me, the scrutiny he has copped has been unbelievable. The guy has yet to be proven to do anything else wrong and yet for some reason, torn to shreds by everyone.

For me, the last 6 months the way he has conducted him self and the way he stands by his beliefs I give him more respect than I ever have, and just going about his business and not giving a * about the media in what they do or says with the persona they have created, and yet comes out of it all unscathed and still standing.
James Hird, you have my support.
Bravo mate!

Wrong board mate. HTB is for hird bashing.

No seriously though; the text messages sealed the deal for me. His testimony as well, when he said he 'was forced' to say something to the media; yadayada. "I take full responsibility" actually i don't. All that crap.

Then there is the opinion that i have that he initiated and implemented a doping regime to gain an unfair advantage over the competition. Allowing unknown substances to be injected into professional athletes, compromising their safety.

So yeah, just that i guess

Wrong board mate. HTB is for hird bashing.

No seriously though; the text messages sealed the deal for me. His testimony as well, when he said he 'was forced' to say something to the media; yadayada. "I take full responsibility" actually i don't. All that crap.

Then there is the opinion that i have that he initiated and implemented a doping regime to gain an unfair advantage over the competition. Allowing unknown substances to be injected into professional athletes, compromising their safety.

So yeah, just that i guess

I wasn't happy with him towards the end of the season, and wanted bomber to coach on, but he changed my mind with way he keeps on going with constant the scrutiny that he got. I honestly and thought he was going to be a goner but he is still standing which shocks me and probably a lot of other people which what impresses me the most.

Yes, he admits there were mistakes in the 2012 supplements regime as everyone would agree. But farrk me, the scrutiny he has copped has been unbelievable. The guy has yet to be proven to do anything else wrong and yet for some reason, torn to shreds by everyone.

For me, the last 6 months the way he has conducted him self and the way he stands by his beliefs I give him more respect than I ever have, and just going about his business and not giving a **** about the media in what they do or says with the persona they have created, and yet comes out of it all unscathed and still standing.
James Hird, you have my support.
Bravo mate!

I will give you an example: Hird has the nerve to ask why wasn't the Gold Coast investigated for governance also. You would think Hird would be grateful for no charges sticking and just shut up for a while.

Your answer will be the clue.

He's the Toorak mansion-owning, BMW-driving golden child who used to regularly rip teams new assholes as a player. He's a man that most would want to be like. Some deem his greatness as a player and pursuit of perfection as a coach as arrogance, and no doubt he cops hate because of that. Some truthers also want to believe that Hird set out to implement a doping program where his players would be knowingly injected with banned and dangerous drugs, and no matter how ridiculous this notion is, they continue to believe it - therefore, Hird refusing to "take responsibility" for this doping program provides another reason for people to hate him. Hird made mistakes, even the most supportive fan of his could admit this - he let the wrong people assume too much control. He copped a suspension and paid for those mistakes.

Really, the Hird fanaticism goes both ways... sure, if it was anyone else other than Hird as coach he probably wouldn't have the support from the Essendon faithful that Hird does, but conversely, if it was (say) Brendan McCartney who was coach during this saga, he wouldn't have received the hate nor media attention that Hird does.

He's the Toorak mansion-owning, BMW-driving golden child who used to regularly rip teams new assholes as a player. He's a man that most would want to be like. Some deem his greatness as a player and pursuit of perfection as a coach as arrogance, and no doubt he cops hate because of that. Some truthers also want to believe that Hird set out to implement a doping program where his players would be knowingly injected with banned and dangerous drugs, and no matter how ridiculous this notion is, they continue to believe it - therefore, Hird refusing to "take responsibility" for this doping program provides another reason for people to hate him. Hird made mistakes, even the most supportive fan of his could admit this - he let the wrong people assume too much control. He copped a suspension and paid for those mistakes.

Really, the Hird fanaticism goes both ways... sure, if it was anyone else other than Hird as coach he probably wouldn't have the support from the Essendon faithful that Hird does, but conversely, if it was (say) Brendan McCartney who was coach during this saga, he wouldn't have received the hate nor media attention that Hird does.
And Brendan would have been sacked jan 2013

Hate is such a strong word. I don't hate Hird. But I've lost all respect for him. Behaviour you applaud is seen as sheer arrogance by me. i felt sorry for him almost on that first day. He looked shell shocked, a man distraught that something untoward had happened under his watch. He took full responsibility as I expected someone like James would. And then.... It all unravelled. He hired a spin doctor and became a pedant telling half truths and probably lies. As more and more information emerged, his behaviour became more and more disappointing. Three things specifically contributed to the straw that broke the camels back for me. The first was when it emerged that he'd allowed an experimental drug be used on the players (and even more so when we discovered he'd attended an investment meeting with the company that made it, which confirmed he HAD to have known it was still experimental). The second was on the day he told us that he actually didn't mean he took full responsibility. That he had been forced to do so. And the final blow was when he accepted not only an extension on his contract but a paid twelve month "suspension" and went to study in France. Right now, I feel sick every time I see his smug face, knowing that he is still in charge of 40 young lives.

I hate him because he is loved by Essendon supporters.
Just the same way I hate Jesus because he is loved by Christians.
Basically , I hate anyone who is loved because I've never felt that feeling before.
Bahahaa

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I hate him because he is loved by Essendon supporters.
Just the same way I hate Jesus because he is loved by Christians.
Basically , I hate anyone who is loved because I've never felt that feeling before.

I love the way Dusty Martin plays....even though I barrack for North Melbourne. Hope you don't hate me, too!

When you say "I'm shocked to be sitting here" and claim that you hadn't heard of the program until 24 hours ago, only for that to be revealed as complete bullshit in the following weeks, you tend to lose a lot of respect. Same deal as Spike McVeigh. You couldn't trust a single thing he said after that.

Also, he oversaw an injection program that saw 34 players injected with either PED's or, if you're extremely naive, a potentially dangerous mystery drug. Either way, not cool.

Hate is such a strong word. I don't hate Hird. But I've lost all respect for him. Behaviour you applaud is seen as sheer arrogance by me. i felt sorry for him almost on that first day. He looked shell shocked, a man distraught that something untoward had happened under his watch. He took full responsibility as I expected someone like James would. And then.... It all unravelled. He hired a spin doctor and became a pedant telling half truths and probably lies. As more and more information emerged, his behaviour became more and more disappointing. Three things specifically contributed to the straw that broke the camels back for me. The first was when it emerged that he'd allowed an experimental drug be used on the players (and even more so when we discovered he'd attended an investment meeting with the company that made it, which confirmed he HAD to have known it was still experimental). The second was on the day he told us that he actually didn't mean he took full responsibility. That he had been forced to do so. And the final blow was when he accepted not only an extension on his contract but a paid twelve month "suspension" and went to study in France. Right now, I feel sick every time I see his smug face, knowing that he is still in charge of 40 young lives.

I don't hate him at all. But I find the Hird phenomena fascinating, though. Not Hird himself. People's view of him. People who think he is a liar, just think he is a liar and has gotten away with a lot. I'm in that category. There isn't much to that. There is a dislike and a disappointment that Jenny describes, because most of us thought highly of him prior to all this. I did. As a player I remember he had a big injury layoff and then played against my team and just beat us by himself, almost. I said at the time it was Ablett Snr like dominance. On that day I would have rated him with Ablett and Carey all at their best. Off the field, he was charming and in the media - cheerful, relaxed and likeable. He was a sort of favourite of mine from another team. I think a lot of people saw him that way. A successful businessman. What's not to like?

Then when all this unfolded I was like "Wow! This guy is a 100% dick." And that is about it.

The Hird fanbois are something else. They will not believe anything against him. They believe he injected himself with Melatonin to help him sleep. Dean was just walking by one time and he said "Wassup?" and Hird said "You know what, I can't sleep". They actually believe he helped write a letter to himself with Reid that he never got around to reading. They believe that all those texts with Dank were taken out of context, even though the author who published them said he had seen many many more and knew exactly what the context was...and I could go on, but let's leave it. They have constructed a person called James Hird in their mind and that James Hird does not really exist. Ask Dean Robinson or David Evans. That James Hird only exists if you don't cross him. And even then, if he can get someone else to do the dirty work for him, he might still exist...for a while.

Last edited:
Hird has done for footy what Michael Jackson did for Llamas.

I say give him a medal.

I just don't like people who can look you in the eye and tell lies. Simple as that. The part that really did it for me is he claimed to have known precisely what other clubs were up to (which he didn't), and yet he claimed not to know what was going on at his own club (and he did).

He claimed he wanted the truth to be told, and yet he tried to suppress it at every opportunity. I'm a perceptive person, I can tell when someone is bullshitting.

Obviously does deserve a significant portion of blame but the attacks on him have been very personal. Robson, Reid, Corcoran etc have gotten off very lightly in comparison. The reason people despise him is the same reason people dislike guys like chris judd and nick reiwoldt - jealousy.

I don't get the hate.

I think a lot of people out there are just very angry people and they project those feelings onto the heels/baddies of whichever drama they are emotionally invested in. AFL is amongst the biggest dramas on Australian TV today and the AFL scriptwriters were happy to cast Hird as the arch-villain once an unrelated drugs investigation accidentally led to EFC popping up on the wrong radars.

Many Australian TV drama fans are used to seeing the villain eventually vanquished, a story arc complete. They were built up to believe that would happen again and Hird would be done for. He didn't stick the script given to him, the audience didn't get their closure.

Again, those who invest large amounts of emotion into following AFL are the most affected. It ought to serve as a cautionary tale.

Obviously does deserve a significant portion of blame but the attacks on him have been very personal. Robson, Reid, Corcoran etc have gotten off very lightly in comparison. The reason people despise him is the same reason people dislike guys like chris judd and nick reiwoldt - jealousy.

So why are we jealous of Hird but not Simon Black, Vossy or Mark Ricciuto? Why are they extremely popular despite having as much or more success than Hird?

It's not jealousy, it's the fact that he ran a drug program and then lied about it.

Last edited:
Corcoran was my high school Phys Ed teacher. The man couldn't organise a piss up in a pub.

His comments on my year 9 report read: Your kid is good at runnin and jumpin.

Mum enrolled me in a private school the following year.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back