Injury Injury thread 2014/15

Remove this Banner Ad

Feb 9, 2012
PERTH
AFL Club
West Coast
It mentioned that he was playing through the pain, this is the problem I have with players in general. We can't blame the medical staff if players aren't being completely honest with them about how they're feeling. Selwood admitted to playing last year when he probably shouldn't have, that obviously put him back a fair way. Darling was walking around Europe when he should have been resting his foot, that didn't end well for him either.

We are all quick to blame the docs, but if the players are not telling them the full story, what more can they do?? Maybe in Lambs situation, they decided to see how it went for a few weeks, see if it calms down on it's own, as most docs would probably do. That didn't work, now he needs minor surgery.

I just reckon that players want to play, lots of players play throigh pain of some sort, but we can't blame the medicos if they aren't being given the full story.

nameless

Brownlow Medallist
Feb 17, 2006
Perf
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
Arsenal
It mentioned that he was playing through the pain, this is the problem I have with players in general. We can't blame the medical staff if players aren't being completely honest with them about how they're feeling. Selwood admitted to playing last year when he probably shouldn't have, that obviously put him back a fair way. Darling was walking around Europe when he should have been resting his foot, that didn't end well for him either.

We are all quick to blame the docs, but if the players are not telling them the full story, what more can they do?? Maybe in Lambs situation, they decided to see how it went for a few weeks, see if it calms down on it's own, as most docs would probably do. That didn't work, now he needs minor surgery.

I just reckon that players want to play, lots of players play throigh pain of some sort, but we can't blame the medicos if they aren't being given the full story.

Also the match payments could affect a youngsters decision to play through pain.
I'd put up with a bit of pain as an 18yr old to get $1000 for 3 hrs work.

Feb 9, 2012
PERTH
AFL Club
West Coast
Also the match payments could affect a youngsters decision to play through pain.
I'd put up with a bit of pain as an 18yr old to get $1000 for 3 hrs work.

Very true. I'm sure majority of players play through some sort of pain, but I guess you have to know your own body, and know what's a normal niggle, and what could potentially something more serious. Young players would definitely rely more on the docs to guide them, so in Lamb's case, he was likely doing everything the docs suggested, and it just hasn't responded as well as they hoped.

Senior players is a different story though, but again, maybe they are relying too much on the docs, as I guess your average Joe would if he went to the docs for something. I just hate hearing players say they played through it when they shouldn't have, and it makes it so much worse. Hindsight I guess.

Jun 28, 2011
AFL Club
West Coast
"Hi every body"
2015-04-21 16.41.10.jpg

Avalor

Brownlow Medallist
Aug 15, 2009
Jakarta
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
East Perth, Donnybrook, Chelsea
8 weeks?? far out, it must be baaad

He's been pulling the wool over the eyes of the medicos

My oh my! Sucks to have another one out with a long-term knee problem - 2-months, damn! No wonder he didn't shine for EP last week - injured.
Where will it all end?
I swear we haven't had an injury-riddled season like this before.

LordHaart

Club Legend
Mar 27, 2011
AFL Club
West Coast

Some merit to this. If this is the case, it comes back to discipline and putting the team first. No point in playing when underdone, unless it's a final it's probably not helping the team if you can't give it your all as other players see you doing less and then before you know it the whole team's work rate has dropped.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Smotie

Norm Smith Medallist
Jul 23, 2012
Perth
AFL Club
West Coast

Apparently nobody is to blame for anything going on in our club.
From the drafting to the developing to the selections to the performances to the injuries.
We just have an Utopian blameless club.

I want in. Sick of taking responsibility in my life.

My oh My this is crazy bad injury list !!!!

Lamb came to the club with the injury and we still chose Tom Lamb over Blakely ...... Lamb must be pretty good .

When you're aiming to get a 10-year player in the draft you wouldn't worry too much about whatever niggling injuries he has at the time. If he was drafted coming off a recon it might be different.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back