Universal Love Q&A - Lachie Neale('s manager)

So I met Tim Lawrence recently, who is Lachie Neale's manager (also Nakia Cockatoo, Cory Gregson amongst others) and he offered the opportunity to get a Q&A thread going about Lachie.

Obviously he's worked closely with Lachie over the years, and has overseen his development from a young age.

This is a rare opportunity to be able to ask someone who has been around for Lachie's development questions about him as a player and a person. Obviously questions that are related to gameplan & strategy he isn't privy to, and some parts of Lachie's personal life are out of bounds – but outside of that, what would you like to know about Lachie the man and the player :)

I should also note, Tim in his own right has had a fascinating career, and if you have any questions for him post them up!

Some questions I had for Tim -

• What is Lachie's nickname with the player group?
  • Do players have set roles all game, or do the roles change depending on who is in the area at the time?
  • At what point did Lachie realise he would be good enough to forge a career as an AFL player?
  • What does Lachie perceive to be his biggest weakness to work on?
  • ... and his biggest strength?
  • How does he deal with having more attention recently in a two-team town?
  • What sort of homework is involved each week outside of the physical work they do?
  • What is an example of a tip or trick Kirky has passed on in working with Lachie?

couldhavebeen

Premiership Player
Jun 6, 2012
success
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Perth lyncs
The first question I have is who was his junior coach and why hasn't he got a half descent left foot .
The second question is ,I have seen him train from when he was first recruited and have always admired his determination to become an AFL player , who inspired him .
the third and final question is ,who was his idol that he wanted to be like as a young footballer .

From Tim -

Hi guys and girls – thanks for having me on the Freo page. I hope I might be able to answer your questions and please be patient as I am not the quickest typist on the planet and all my answers I am sending to Arcassius so he can post them for me – thanks to him also! I will answer everyone who makes a post when I get the chance to catch up with the questions.

Ok so I better start with one of his questions!

At what point did Lachie realise he would be good enough to forge a career as an AFL player?

I actually coached Lachie in the Glenelg U18's - albeit for only a few games - in his draft year of 2011. It was interesting because he didn't believe, during the pre-season of that year - that he was even good enough to make our best U18 side! Of course he was and was selected by the playing group to be their captain also which was a testament to his standing with his peers. He has a steely resolve - nothing has been gifted to him throughout his career and he has had a lot of knock backs along the journey but he also is very grounded. The draft year was tough as there was not nearly as much love as their should have been for him.

At the time I was recruiting for one of the Melbourne based clubs and whilst they liked him, he didn’t fall into their list management plans, whilst others just didn’t give him enough attention. So to answer your question, not until his name was called out at the 2011 did he think he was going to make a career of it but deep down he was just so driven that he was always going to make it.

Even last night, after the Bomber Thompson interview on Foxtel, we had an in depth chat about how he is feeling, where we think he is going, what his aims are etc and he actually said he still doesn’t 100% feel like he is a secure selection each week. Whilst no one definitively is as we know, I think it gives some insight that he is happy with what he is doing but know he needs to keep performing and also improving all the time and is never entirely comfortable.

From Tim -

Great...I give this about twenty minutes until FFC media manager asks Lachie WTF's going on

Thanks for your concern Lach72 and you're right, we don’t need to be upsetting anyone.

There are some 'no go' zones that we need to respect for both the club and Lachie, however, the questions are being answered by myself and Lach isn’t involved in any way.

Trust me, there is no one more understanding and careful of things like this than I am. Trust between an agent and a club is very important... contrary to what you may think!

Ask him how he felt when Arcassius stole him from his rightful buddy.

Thanks estibador. I do know that Lachie was adamant he did not want to be involved once he felt it may become a love triangle. They never work.

Last edited:
Hi Tim,

How often are you contacted by opposition clubs about the availability of your players, what form do these approaches take and how far ahead of a player coming out of contract at they getting in touch? Are there rules for these things and how often are they danced around, without any specfics obviously.

What are the minimum contract requirements for an AFL player in their 3rd year? - That first contract after their draft, are there minimum terms a club is required to meet; min salary, min salary with match payments etc

When the media talk about a player triggering an extension clause with a fitness test, what sort of physical testing are they allowed to perform to pass or fail a player on their extensions?

I'm looking to see what sort of power balance there is with AFL players and their employers :)

Thanks,

Taylz
x

From Tim -

• Who was his junior coach and why hasn't he got a half decent left foot
  • I have seen him train from when he was first recruited and have always admired his determination to become an AFL player, who inspired him
  • Who was his idol that he wanted to be like as a young footballer

Hi couldhavebeen

The whole 'teaching a young player how to kick on the opposite foot' is an interesting one. The actual fact is that at junior level it is rarely taught (40+ kids, 1 coach, who has the time?) and also, it is rarely taught at a talent pathway level in U16 and U18 squads. Why? The reality is that players at AFL level rarely use this skill anymore.

A turnover caused by a disposal on a not-so-trusty opposite foot during a game can be more detrimental than any positive gained. With the large numbers of players pushed into an area it is very rare that there isn't a player somewhere in the vicinity to give the ball off to with their natural hand or foot. Down the track the game may evolve to where it becomes a necessary skill, however, I think it is something that, like the drop punt, may disappear with today's congested and contested game.

Can Lach kick on his opposite foot? Yes he can. Is it up to AFL standard? Probably not but there aren't many who can and even less who are prepared to try in a game!

He is a very hard worker isn't he. He leaves no stone unturned and I think this is why he is forging his way into the AFL world.

As a kid his dad, Robbie, was obviously an idol. Robbie was a great country footballer in the South East of South Australia. He didn't really have an idol or someone who inspired him as he got older. I do know he loved watching Gavin Wanganeen but he kind of just looked at various players in the AFL who had qualities he needed to gain.

Last edited:
From Tim -

Has anyone really been far even as decided to use even go want to do look more like?

Thanks tants. You win the contest for the most though provoking question so far.
My answer to that is: possibly but it depends on how far and what they are looking at.

Fred Ziffel

Norm Smith Medallist
Apr 26, 2011
Cockburn W.A
AFL Club
Fremantle
Fred Ziffel called it last year; that you would be in the Ross Lyon Fremantle's best ever 22 ahead of Peter Bell.
Lachie vs Bell = Faster, Stronger, better mark, equal or better reader of the play.

On Sunday VS wc, we saw Lachie kick a ball a distance Peter Bell could only dream of doing; Sure you got it off the centre of your boot and right in the sweet spot of the ball and it was exquisitely timed and although it found a space vortex to travel through, it still soared through the space at three quarter post high, coming off one step.
So therefore Lachie is a much better kick than the erudite little champ.

What do you say to people who have vast knowledge of football like Fred, when he speaks in glowing reference to you.

Last edited:
From Tim -

• How is he finding life in Perth?
  • Was he happy he was drafted to a WA team?

Thanks for your question JamFrank

Lachie is really enjoying life over in WA and was more than happy to come to a WA team.
He was really impressed by the Freo recruiters when they interviewed him. Most young players, when they are interviewed pre-draft usually suddenly have a want to go the club that has just interviewed them… Freo were one of the last clubs to actually interview him as it turned out, however, they struck a chord with him.

I know we hear of players getting homesick and it does happen obviously but I think there are some great opportunities for a young person to gain independence and develop on a personal level when they move away from family and friends. The key to that is having a great club and even better team mates – something that Fremantle certainly has.

99% of the time the boys are happy to go anywhere come draft night just to have a crack at their dream. Making sure their families and the players themselves are ready for that probable move away (if you aren't based in Victoria) is an important thing for agents to work through to prepare everyone.

May 13, 2014
at the footy
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Roys, Melb Stars, Gryffindor
As a fellow short-ass (Lachie actually towers above me haha) I was wondering if he thinks of his lack of height as an advantage to his current game, especially being surrounded by giants in the midfield. And has it always been that way?

And how much does he like Perth, like really really like it, as a home for say.. the next 10 years or so?

Jul 15, 2007
Too far from my bed
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Boston Celtics, Patriots
1) When Lachie first came to the club, which other players or officials helped him feel most comfortable. Who did he naturally connect with (so to speak)?

2) Part of being a professional sports person, particularly of a profile sport like AFL, is media, community and other ancillary duties. How does a still relatively young Lachie feel about that stuff given that his job description ultimately is about being a quality footballer and quality team-mate first (which he is doing very well at of course)? Does he find the "non-footy' related stuff a bit tough or does he quite like it?

Scham

Brownlow Medallist
Sep 19, 2004
AFL Club
Fremantle
Was he surprised his good mate Alex Forster got delisted? What do you Tim, think was the difference between Lachie's and Alex's approach to AFL that saw one succeed and one not? Up until then their paths were very similar.

Dirty_banchez

Premiership Player
Apr 15, 2013
AFL Club
Fremantle
Question without notice for Tim: Do you lay awake at night, staring at your ceiling and wonder why Leonardo Dicaprio has never won an Oscar?

Back