Stifler's mom

Premium Platinum
Jan 29, 2007
Glen Iris
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
liverpool - Walk On!
This may be a bit left field but in the midst of suggestions that the Swans enjoy an unfair advantage in having access to academy players and father sons, I offer a possible solution.

Remember that GWS don't have access to F/S so their academy is a bit more palatable.

Sydney say that their academy is vital for providing a pathway for young players, and to grow the game in NSW.
Perhaps they can really back up this claim.

They could commit their 1st and 3rd round picks in the ND for the next five years to academy players, thus taking the good with the bad.
This will really give the Swans a chance to grow the game and encourage their academy boys with a confirmed pathway for their best.
After five years it can be reviewed, but along the way the Swans will have some major wins, Heeney and Mills, but some losses where their boys aren't worth a 1st or 3rd round pick.

Under the current system they seem to have the best of both worlds with no real commitment to their academy boys, unless of course they are exceptional.

Thought??

1st and 3rd and they have to take two academy players with them ?

What if there's a 3rd player ?

This may be a bit left field but in the midst of suggestions that the Swans enjoy an unfair advantage in having access to academy players and father sons, I offer a possible solution.

Remember that GWS don't have access to F/S so their academy is a bit more palatable.

Sydney say that their academy is vital for providing a pathway for young players, and to grow the game in NSW.
Perhaps they can really back up this claim.

They could commit their 1st and 3rd round picks in the ND for the next five years to academy players, thus taking the good with the bad.
This will really give the Swans a chance to grow the game and encourage their academy boys with a confirmed pathway for their best.
After five years it can be reviewed, but along the way the Swans will have some major wins, Heeney and Mills, but some losses where their boys aren't worth a 1st or 3rd round pick.

Under the current system they seem to have the best of both worlds with no real commitment to their academy boys, unless of course they are exceptional.

Thought??

We already proposed that to the AFL a few years ago mate we actually requested to withdraw from the ND all together but our request was denied.

I would think taking Hiscox and Davis with our 2nd and 3rd round picks shows commitment we could of easily let Hiscox go to Fremantle as they bidded pick 33 for him which was quite a surprise for a project player.

What about the SA and WA clubs? They don't have advantages so what do they do?

They are in footy heartlands

Those four clubs all have a large portion of local talent already

The purpose of the academies is to develop similar in non footy states it will take time and work.

It was alright when northern clubs lost just about every drafted player

I would respect these endless threads more if they started a few years ago like when Brandon Jack was coming through the academy

They are in footy heartlands

Those four clubs all have a large portion of local talent already

The purpose of the academies is to develop similar in non footy states it will take time and work.

It was alright when northern clubs lost just about every drafted player

I would respect these endless threads more if they started a few years ago like when Brandon Jack was coming through the academy
I agree with the academy scheme but why don't they have an AFL academy open to all clubs? Why should Northern clubs get the rights to every good youngster in the Northern states and everywhere else. Its crap.

Growing up as a late teen i played against Kieran Jack, and mates a year older than me played against McVeigh. This is in the basic league - we don't have divisions or anything and our "rep" teams play a single day round robin. In Vic/SA/WA players like them at the age 17 would never be playing against the likes of me and my mates in the local competition. There are literally mentally handicapped kids playing in the same league as soon to be AFL players.

If you think this is a level playing feild for development I've got to question your motives.

I agree with the academy scheme but why don't they have an AFL academy open to all clubs? Why should Northern clubs get the rights to every good youngster in the Northern states and everywhere else. Its crap.

Over time the goal should be to change it if the talent is there.

But as i said they were set up to aid massive retention problems, kids leaving to go home.

Sydney alone lost 3-4 top picks due to go home factor, if you can develop untapped talent it can change.

If there no academy this talent wont exist anyway,not sure why we should put 1.5 million a year into an academy for everyone

Its been pretty unsuccesful overall so far anyway

Growing up as a late teen i played against Kieran Jack, and mates a year older than me played against McVeigh. This is in the basic league - we don't have divisions or anything and our "rep" teams play a single day round robin. In Vic/SA/WA players like them at the age 17 would never be playing against the likes of me and my mates in the local competition. There are literally mentally handicapped kids playing in the same league as soon to be AFL players.

If you think this is a level playing feild for development I've got to question your motives.

One player has emerged and looks like a top talent thats all people choose to see.

Because the AFL don't want to fund them, so in order for them to work you need give the Northern clubs some incentive to fund them.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

The AFL need to run these academies and have the kids go into the draft.
Simple fix to a simple problem. But as it stands, we have sides gaining an unfair advantage over others - through use of academies.
I guess it all depends on whether the AFL want to be taken seriously, and whether they want to take equalisation seriously.

Jesus christ this point is literally raised every time this debate is had.

Their WAS a system in place where every club from North melbourne to West Coast Eagles could scholarship NSW youngsters and get the first chance to draft them. Only a couple clubs used it- and those that did only used it to pick up players that would've definitely been drafted anyway.

There WAS a system where EVERYBODY could've tried to improve NSW talent and run a NSW academy- the top players were just cherry picked. Now the Northern Clubs are running academies where 100s of players are being trained and improved and the quality of talent is improved- and like before the clubs in charge of the academy/scholarship get the first chance to draft them.

All the clubs complaining had a system that prevented the current one from being needed- but all of a sudden NSW is this great goldmine of talent.

The AFL need to run these academies and have the kids go into the draft.
Simple fix to a simple problem. But as it stands, we have sides gaining an unfair advantage over others - through use of academies.
I guess it all depends on whether the AFL want to be taken seriously, and whether they want to take equalisation seriously.

It is the northern states with all the advantages of course...

It is the northern states with all the advantages of course...

When kids go into the draft, everyone is on a level playing field.
Clubs create their own environments and back themselves in.
So, if the AFL had their own academies and these kids went into the draft, it is a fair system.

Why do people ignore the fact that the AFL is competing for talent with codes who can offer a local pathway to a professional sporting career?

If you've got a kid at 14 who's making the decision between Australian Football and Rugby League, he's going to stick with league if the best the AFL can offer is the possibility of being drafted over to Perth.

Why do people ignore the fact that the AFL is competing for talent with codes who can offer a local pathway to a professional sporting career?

If you've got a kid at 14 who's making the decision between Australian Football and Rugby League, he's going to stick with league if the best the AFL can offer is the possibility of being drafted over to Perth.
The possibility of being drafted to the other side of the country happens to all player from every state, not just NSW

To stop all the sooking, the AFL should just set up a NSW Academy and a QLD Academy which was to be used for the development of players in the two rugby league states.

All players of draft age have to nominate for the draft like normal but they can be taken as an academy selection by either two clubs from that state using their last live pick in the draft, if they decide to take two players then they must use their last two live picks and so on. The club which finished lower on the ladder gets first choice, third choice etc. They may nominate one player or none at all, it is at their complete discretion.

If any of the eligible players from the academies aren't nominated for drafting by the clubs in that state prior to the draft, then they are fair game for every other club in the competition to draft.

You bring up a really good point. Just goes to show what a stupid idea drafts really are. In the NRL all clubs have 'academies' and players can go to whichever club they like. I would love that in the AFL.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back