News Phil Walsh - New AFC Coach and Art Critic

Remove this Banner Ad

What did he say?
Not his exact words but when Sheahan asked him what wisdom he could share with clubs he said something like "stop sacking coaches for no reason. Clubs get a new coach and the first year is great because it's all new, then the second and third years aren't so good and they get sacked. It doesn't achieve anything and you just end up with history repeating."

He had a crack at clubs sacking coaches after three years and not supporting them enough. Probably referring to Sando. Interesting point about mentoring and teaching coaches to become better rather than just dumping them.

Sando + Crows was hardly unique. Same could be said for multiple clubs and coaches. Matthew Knights & Essendon, Primus & Port, Voss & Brisbane etc etc.

Sometimes it doesn't work, that may be because the Coaches haven't been supported and/or they haven't been given enough time to implement their strategy, and/or aren't the right fit for the club. Or it may just be that they aren't a great senior coach.

I guess we never know the answer to that question though. Undoubtedly the most successful coaches are the ones who have long stints at clubs. There were a few through the 00s - Malthouse, Worsfold, Roos, Thompson himself.

But it's the chicken or the egg. Do they get a long time because they're good or vice versa?

Also said that coaches come in and go well their first year because everything is new and fresh, then things fall away and they get sacked. Process repeats.

Not surprising, it is the elite level of the sport. I'd say the average career duration of an AFC coach probably compares favourably with the average career for a player. How many make rookie lists, and even senior lists and are only in the system for one contract?

You know why f****** Billy Hamilton didn’t f****** play? The other day? Because his f****** finger’s hurt and he couldn’t hit right-handed comfortably. Right? So that’s something that I need to know and no one else needs to know. No one else needs to f****** know it, and all of a sudden it’s out there. His f****** fingers are sore. It doesn’t benefit us. It wasn’t from you, but it doesn’t benefit us one bit to f****** announce to the f****** other teams that we’re playing to bring in lefties when they need to f****** get Billy out. There’s no benefit.
Seems PW might have a bit of that type of attitude after how slow they were to announce any injuries or show anything during pre-season.

I agree that just because we won doesn't mean Walsh wasn't out coached. But I just can't see the argument that he was out coached in this game.

Melbourne were more switched on early but we managed to halt the momentum initially and ultimately kicked 12 goals to 4 after the first 15 minutes of the game. And their goals came exclusively from heinous individual errors rather than any structural advantage.

If the roles were reversed we'd be lamenting the Neil Craig special and wondering why we didn't do anything to change the game once it started slipping away.

Question? At what point do you perceive Phil being outcoached or the players being out played and having an average day. That's a big difference in itself. Was there match up issues? I don't think there were. I think the only issue was that Melbourne got off to a fast start. It was obviously the game plan was to hit the crows hard and put them on the back foot in the wet. Did it work? to a point. They kicked 3 early goals got out to a 21 point lead but the reality was the crows kicked 12 out of the last 16 goals in the game and Melbourne kicked two goals from really bad skill errors. I would also like to point out Melbourne struggled to clear our forward line and break through our press. That again doesn't appear to be Phil being out coached. Overall I think Melbourne had a few players stand up that nobody was expecting too and it lifted the team. Combine all of it with the weather it limited the result. Had it been dry I have no doubt the crows would have won by 50+.

I'm not talking about game-day tactics I'm talking about game strategy and preperation. There is usually a joint responsibility, the coach sets the strategy, the players execute it. Was the strategy right for the obvious Paul Roos scrap? probably. Was the preparation right? they didn't come out switched on so probably not.

Some responsibility always falls on the coach, that's the game. I was happy with the way we played but I think Roos was the better coach on the day considering the sides on paper. His players were up and about and got on top of a far superior side at their home ground.

It is valid to critique the coaching. Absolutely. The reality is he is 3 games into hopefully a long coaching career. What you critique now is virtually pointless because he will at least be coaching until the end of next year unless the crows hit rock bottom or he resigns. We as fans have to trust the club and its staff at some point at least for a duration and I think its more than valid to step back and not critique while we are winning especially this early on into his career.

Your other point of Phil critiquing himself, well of course he is. Still I do not see any point to us fans hammering him as well at this stage.

I'm not critising him as in he's a s**t coach, obviously that would be ridiculously stupid and irrational. All I'm doing is saying that Saturday's game wasn't a perfect coaching game for Phil and I think it was a better game for Roos.

It's okay, he's new, we're 3-0 and we all love Phil so far but I'll say if I think he could have done something better. I'm not hammering him, I'm saying I don't think he was the best coach on the day Saturday which is my opinion and I'm sure he doesn't give a f*ck what some numb nuts' opinion on BigFooty is.

He had a crack at clubs sacking coaches after three years and not supporting them enough. Probably referring to Sando. Interesting point about mentoring and teaching coaches to become better rather than just dumping them.
Bomber has become the saddest most pathetic figure in footy.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I would raise u Jack Watts but he's already had a tough week.

Feel sorry for the kid personally, had the weight of expectations placed upon him and having landed in MFC was the worst that could happen.

This will end up like the Tambling story.

I guess we never know the answer to that question though. Undoubtedly the most successful coaches are the ones who have long stints at clubs. There were a few through the 00s - Malthouse, Worsfold, Roos, Thompson himself.

But it's the chicken or the egg. Do they get a long time because they're good or vice versa?

All of those coaches were successful relatively early into their coaching career.

I'm aware of very few that suddenly become successful after a sustained period after never having been successful before.

So long as we don't end up trading for him!

Oh no. I definitely agree. I never said I wanted him. Its a big no. It goes back to the old days where we would draft hacks.

We just cleaned out. LJ, Smack and Pets. Drafting Watts is three to four steps back.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back