MagpieBat

Brownlow Medallist
10k Posts Ruby
Jan 22, 2011
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
Collingwood VFL, #TeamBatman
Wonderful little article on Broomy in tomorrow's Age.

Tim Broomhead can kick a banana. He just won't eat one. Bananas are the food the young Collingwood player most passionately avoids, but the list of foods he dislikes is long and quite specific.

He doesn't like fruit and vegetables — and bananas most of all — but has been compelled to force himself to eat them for his training. He hates lollies and jubes but loves plain chocolate. He hates Coke but loves Gatorade, though only orange Gatorade, not the other colours. He used to hate pasta, but like eating more fruit and vegetables he has learnt to live with eating the athletes' staple.

"Growing up I used to be the fussiest kid ever. Every kid says they are a fussy eater but I was next-level fussy. I still am real fussy now, there are lots of foods I won't eat," he said.

"I couldn't eat a banana, couldn't touch a banana. It is everything about it, I just hate bananas, if you were holding a banana right here, I would move to that chair," he said pointing across the room. He has a smile on his face but it is a self-deprecating smile, for he is not joking.

http://www.theage.com.au/afl/afl-ne...ut-tim-broomhead-20150424-1msctd.html?stb=twt

:thumbsu::hearts:

Great read, i reckon this kid will be an absolute jet, just has that something special about him.

Lets just hope we can keep him long term, having a discussion about him last week with a mate, i was saying he reminds me a little bit of Peter Matera in the way he moves and breaks lines. Broomy just always seems to have forward momentum at pace when receiving the footy.

If he could be half as good as Matera then we have a real find here.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Great read, i reckon this kid will be an absolute jet, just has that something special about him.

Lets just hope we can keep him long term, having a discussion about him last week with a mate, i was saying he reminds me a little bit of Peter Matera in the way he moves and breaks lines. Broomy just always seems to have forward momentum at pace when receiving the footy.

If he could be half as good as Matera then we have a real find here.

He reminds me of Braddles.

It's cool that he and Grundog have become besties too. Both seem to walk to the beat of their own drum a bit.

I think one of the reasons Broomhead was drafted (apart from his talent) was his close relation to Grundy/Kennedy pre-draft... those kind of mateships can really lessen the "go home" factor when you go to a club knowing people and instantly feel at ease.

Mate, sorry to tell you but he wasn't super close with Grundy or Kennedy before getting drafted. South Australia is a big place and not everyone there is automatically in a close friendship with each other just because they played 5 state under 18's games together. They've become closer since getting to Collingwood but the main reason behind Tim's drafting isn't anything to do with a friendship. If you are looking for "main reasons" he was drafted it was that Matt Rendell spotted his talent on the field when few others did and liked the way he presented off the field. That's the number one reason he was drafted to Collingwood. Had there been no Kurt Tippett saga at Adelaide and had Rendell not been sacked by Adelaide Tim would be an Adelaide Crow.

There was definitely an article written stating how they were mates and glad to go to Collingwood knowing other people.. perhaps close mates was a slight exaggeration.

What relation are you to Broomhead?

But you don't seriously think a professional AFL club, that is going to spend upwards of $250,000 in the first 2 years a player is on the list on each player is going into a draft with a recruitment strategy of let's pick this kid cause he's from South Australia like our last 2 selections were do you?

And no relation at all. I've explained that many times on this board!

As I clearly said in my original post, APART from his talent, it would've definitely worked in his favor over the many other kids the club was debating taking with pick 20.

How do you know Broomhead and Grundy/Kennedy weren't close pre-draft?

Love watching Broom play, glad he is getting on top of his anxieties and is starting to tolerate fruit and veg a bit more.

You can tell by watching him he knows how good he is going to be. I can't recall a young player ever reacting to kicking goals in their first few games the way Broomy did, the guy is a stone cold killer and is already inside the best 10 players at the club.

Great to hear him and Grundy are close, Brodie clearly being a good influence on a kid like Broomy.

Can't wait to watch these two develop together, gonna try an orange gatorade tomorrow in honour of the great man.

How do you know Broomhead and Grundy/Kennedy weren't close pre-draft?

When the three SA boys were drafted at the end of 2012, a lot was made of Grundy and BK being mates, but not Broomy. It doesn't matter anyway, the point is we drafted him, we are thrilled we did, as a VFL watcher Tim's skills were evident from his early games, and now the greater Pies community can see he has enormous potential.

Hell, he has even survived a BF campaign to change his name to Ben.:D

PS: I also have a friend who has a strong dislike of bananas, as I discovered early on in our friendship after baking her a banana cake.:eek:

Remove this Banner Ad

Back