EXPANDING the SANFL - PROMOTION and RELEGATION ... its time!

Should the SANFL adopt promotion + relegation?

• Yes

• No

Results are only viewable after voting.

Remove this Banner Ad

After the trial game between Port Adelaide and Goodwood I think relegation simply won't work. Gulf is huge.

In other thoughts here is my fantasy SANFL league.

1. Port Adelaide Magpies
  2. South Adelaide Panthers
  3. Norwood Redlegs
  4. Woodville-West Torrens Eagles
  5. Sturt Double Blues
  6. North Adelaide Roosters
  7. West Adelaide Bloods
  8. Glenelg Tigers
  9. Elizabeth Bulldogs
  10. Adelaide City Crows
  11. Victor Harbour Penguins
  12. Mount Barker Kangaroos
  13. Tea Tree Gully Wolves
  14. Gawler Lions
  15. Broken Hill Nuggets
  16. Mount Gambier Lakers
  17. Port Lincoln Sharks
  18. Murray Bridge Bunyips

The Broken Hill team are called the Shafts

Would many care if Woodville were relegated?

Given Woodville are long gone, nope, no one would care.

Woodville-West Torrens on the other hand....

I guess thats what I mean't.. perhaps shouldn't have shortened it to Woodville - WWT for the win.. or perhaps the bin?

I still think we should of let a NT side into the SANFL, far more beneficial than them playing in the mickey mouse NEAFL. The NT govt was willing to pay all travel costs at the time, really feel it would of been a huge boost for indigenous talent

I still think we should of let a NT side into the SANFL, far more beneficial than them playing in the mickey mouse NEAFL. The NT govt was willing to pay all travel costs at the time, really feel it would of been a huge boost for indigenous talent
Unfortunately the AFL had other designs. Can't help but think the SANFL was a bargaining chip. Nice to read a constructive comment.

Plus there would be no shortage of talent either.

I'm surprised they only have one HFL team still - very surprised that another one hasn't started up, or that they don't have teams in both divisions

Mount Barker aren't even especially dominant in Div 1 of the HFL though - Just one premiership in the past decade, and six overall since the league began in 1967. Uraidla Districts (five premierships in the past decade, including four of the past six) and Echunga appear to have been the stronger sides in recent times, and Mount Lofty also has a history of success by the looks of it, too.

The talent for an Adelaide Hills SANFL side (that would probably be located at Mount Barker, due to the surburb's size, centrality and infrastructure) would probably come from all over the hill areas, really. Given that, a side representing the Adelaide Hills would probably have to be called "Eastern" (like the local state league basketball club), "Eastern Hills" or "Adelaide Hills", or even just "Hills".

But yes, there likely would be no shortage of talent, and it would be a massive shake-up for the rest of the SANFL in terms of sourcing talent, too, given the fruitful Hills zones that some clubs (Sturt and Norwood in particular) currently enjoy.

Last edited:
One point someone made here is the result of the Port Adelaide-Goodwood game shows the gulf is too big for promotion/relegation.

My counterpoint to that - There's currently some players in the country league commuting from metro Adelaide. If there's a prospect of getting up to the top division and playing SANFL, I think they stay.

The SANFL/SAAFL get stronger thanks to that.

If there's more paths into the top flight (via say Goodwood, or Henley, or whoever) the borderline league players at the SANFL could go over to those SAAFL div 1 clubs further shrinking that gap.

By having a promotion/relegation system. I feel the top flight will lose a little in skill level, but would increase in competitiveness as teams at the bottom can no longer just cruise along preparing for next year. They need to go fully at 100% to stay up. Whereas every level under that increases substantially.

And I doubt relegation would kill a club, their pride to get back up would force it and the passion we'd see that first year back from the fans would be amazing. I support North, the heartbreak of relegation would kill, but getting back up and seeing he passion the first year back would be amazing. Would actually consider going to more games than I currently do as you know how behind the team the crowd would get.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Unless there's promotion and relegation throughout all of football and structures to help along the way I don't see the point of it. Why would a SANFL club ever agree to this when there's no chance of going to the next level. Where's the net benefit?
God knows there's teams in the AFL that shouldn't be there and most feed off the tit to survive.

One point someone made here is the result of the Port Adelaide-Goodwood game shows the gulf is too big for promotion/relegation.

My counterpoint to that - There's currently some players in the country league commuting from metro Adelaide. If there's a prospect of getting up to the top division and playing SANFL, I think they stay.

If there's more paths into the top flight (via say Goodwood, or Henley, or whoever) the borderline league players at the SANFL could go over to those SAAFL div 1 clubs further shrinking that gap.

By having a promotion/relegation system. I feel the top flight will lose a little in skill level, but would increase in competitiveness as teams at the bottom can no longer just cruise along preparing for next year. They need to go fully at 100% to stay up. Whereas every level under that increases substantially.

And I doubt relegation would kill a club, their pride to get back up would force it and the passion we'd see that first year back from the fans would be amazing. I support North, the heartbreak of relegation would kill, but getting back up and seeing he passion the first year back would be amazing. Would actually consider going to more games than I currently do as you know how behind the team the crowd would get.
These guys commute from the City for $$$. SANFL payments are quite poor compared to what can be earnt in the country, SANFL reserves players are still paid around $60-100 a game and even league is pretty ordinary $. These guts train there arse off and many have to leave work early to get to training. Or you can head and hour up the road to get $500-1500 a week and train once or twice max. Plenty of clubs within an hour of Adelaide spending $100k a year or more on players

I was told that Mannum offered Jade Sheedy $3500 a game to stay there this year but he wanted to play a season with his brother.
If that's the sort of coin being offered there's some serious problems.

I was told that Mannum offered Jade Sheedy $3500 a game to stay there this year but he wanted to play a season with his brother.
If that's the sort of coin being offered there's some serious problems.
I have never heard of that ammount being offered but I do know in the past we have paid up to $1500 a game to players at my local club. Due to points being applied to the league we now tend to target guys playing ressies and unhappy at their club, can pick them up for $500-900 a game. Wont say what club im involved with but we spent just on $100k last year and thats without extra $ being "thrown in" by sponsors

My mate gets paid $700 a game for the Port Football Club in Port Pirie. Port are the richest club up there and one of his teammates gets $3000 a game. Solomontown are just as bad, they offered my mate $1000 a game plus captaincy (he refused because he knows if he stays long enough at Port, they'll offer him double that).

And then people wonder why the other Pirie club, Proprietary/Risdon, are always finishing bottom.

These guys commute from the City for $$$. SANFL payments are quite poor compared to what can be earnt in the country, SANFL reserves players are still paid around $60-100 a game and even league is pretty ordinary $. These guts train there arse off and many have to leave work early to get to training. Or you can head and hour up the road to get $500-1500 a week and train once or twice max. Plenty of clubs within an hour of Adelaide spending $100k a year or more on players
I heard there was someone playing at Central Districts. Only getting ressies games and getting $250 a game.
Was offered $800 to play at some SAAFL club.

This is why I think promotion relegation would spark much more passion and interest in the State competition.
As for now its is a stale merry go round of a competition where not a lot attracts anyone to see or support local matches, Port and Crows having their up and coming reserves and developing drafts playing has sparked more interest amongst both my Port and Crow-loving friends.
In terms of relegation - look at the support that was thrown behind Port Magpies in 2009 when there were threats from the SANFL to remove them from the competition, supporters need a reason to get behind their clubs again, right now there is none.

Is there promotion and regulation amongst the divisions of the SAAFL?

If so, then integrate that with that. The premier of each division gets promoted, while the wooderb Spooner goes down. Make the SANFL a twelve team competition and include some regional teams.

Is there promotion and regulation amongst the divisions of the SAAFL?

If so, then integrate that with that. The premier of each division gets promoted, while the wooderb Spooner goes down. Make the SANFL a twelve team competition and include some regional teams.

Yes the SAAFL divisions have promotion and relegation and yes I agree.

Back