Review R4: Dees v the Tigers - the Great, the Good and the Reasonable

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm gonna go conservative here: by end of 2016, Hogan will be the best fwd in the league.
doesn't seemed that far fetched when we plan on making finals next year as well

Congratulations on the win guys, that was gutsy, spirited, and well -deserved. Loved seeing the elation on the faces of the players, veterans and new players alike.

Couple of questions from an outsider looking in:

1. Why the _____ was Nathan Jones not captain sooner? Nothing against the previous players, but seriously this guy has always had 'leader' written all over him, and it seems like a given that he should be the one to lead the way with the way he conducts himself. That call-in huddle that he did at the end, you guys must have had goosebumps seeing that.

Have to highlight/reiterate this. Was at the ground and made a point of pointing it out to a mate. It actually did give me goosebumps, it was a really tight huddle and I'd love to know what he said.

Loved seeing that

Have to highlight/reiterate this. Was at the ground and made a point of pointing it out to a mate. It actually did give me goosebumps, it was a really tight huddle and I'd love to know what he said.

Loved seeing that

He was making sure the playing group realize winning is great but we can't get carried away like we obviously did in round 2 (Apparently players were a little too happy in the rooms at half time against GWS, and we know what happened there).

congratulations on your win, far more committed to the contest and productive than RFC, tell me something, does Nat jones always play like a brownlow medallist or is it just against us , Q not a statement

He does play well against the Tiges, he isn't the best midfielder in the league (he's still top 15 comfortably, pushing top 10) but god damn he is inspirational.

Few pieces of play summed us up, but I enjoyed when a Tigers player went to kick it off the ground and three other Tigers watched him, Newton just ripped it away, tapped it to Jones and he kicks a very important goal. Our skills still need work but gee the hunger our players have, credit to Roos for both recruiting the right type of players and also instilling the right attitude.

He was making sure the playing group realize winning is great but we can't get carried away like we obviously did in round 2 (Apparently players were a little too happy in the rooms at half time against GWS, and we know what happened there).
Interesting. I got home and watched a recording of the game (at about 3am) and noticed that our team song in the rooms was way more muted than usual, now I know why.

About the game though, awesome that we beat em up, pure n simple. We were harder at it for longer. Keep in mind we got the post 5 times too so I tend to think the tigers got off pretty lightly on the scoreboard.

One thing that worries me is watching good sides that control the ball well. It seems to me that we need to turn the game into trench warfare for us to be in it, or for the opposition to not pressure us at all (GC). Will be interesting to watch what Roos has us do next weekend. Clearly we'll try and block the exits like we did perfectly (for a half) against Adelaide and (for a qtr and a bit) against GW$. The problem is trying to keep that up for 4 quarters. As soon as the game opens up against Freo, I fear they will get a run on that even the best sides can't stop.

Interesting. I got home and watched a recording of the game (at about 3am) and noticed that our team song in the rooms was way more muted than usual, now I know why.

About the game though, awesome that we beat em up, pure n simple. We were harder at it for longer. Keep in mind we got the post 5 times too so I tend to think the tigers got off pretty lightly on the scoreboard.

One thing that worries me is watching good sides that control the ball well. It seems to me that we need to turn the game into trench warfare for us to be in it, or for the opposition to not pressure us at all (GC). Will be interesting to watch what Roos has us do next weekend. Clearly we'll try and block the exits like we did perfectly (for a half) against Adelaide and (for a qtr and a bit) against GW$. The problem is trying to keep that up for 4 quarters. As soon as the game opens up against Freo, I fear they will get a run on that even the best sides can't stop.

Also the freo midfield will be a lot more contested than the Tigers and we need to stop them from getting It to the outside because we will struggle to cover hill and pearce

Also big job for whoever takes Walters and mayne because I feel like scrappy goals will be the order of the day

Not sure if howe takes fyfe going forward, will probably get towelled but he is the only one who can go with him in the air

From the Richmond board:

"For all our ranting, posing, meme's & taunts - we are being totally bullied, battered & beaten by a demons team who are more aggressive, hungry & willing to work.nathan jones alone is showing more leadership in his single, lone pube than any of our meerkat posers.

We are soft as they come, even against Melbourne... Good god this team is a disappointment."
pretty much sums up when we used them as training cones in last years game a few days after their club legend died

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Have to reiterate it because I've blasted Garland over the last year and a bit

He was fantastic on the weekend and back to his competitive best, that bit of play where he was 1 on 3 and still got the holding the ball was a man desperate to win

I thought he could be cooked by the end of the year but if he plays like that and can tag in the midfield then he is extremely valuable

Yep I was worried about him too but right now he is near back to his 2013 form. He's such a handy player to have when other teams rest their star mids forward, so far this year I think he's taken GAJ, Danger and probably someone from GWS who I don't know.

He was fantastic on the weekend and back to his competitive best, that bit of play where he was 1 on 3 and still got the holding the ball was a man desperate to win

I thought he could be cooked by the end of the year but if he plays like that and can tag in the midfield then he is extremely valuable
Absolutely agreed - thrilled ot see Garland getting back to his best form.

Saw mentioned somewhere else, of our 22 on Friday, only 9 had pulled on the jumper before 2014 arrived:

Jones, McDonald, Howe, Garland, Watts, Dunn, Dawes, Jamar, Jetta

Players who played their first game for us since Roosy came in:
Vince, Vandenburg, Newton, Michie, Tyson, Cross, Lumumba, Salem, Hogan, Brayshaw, Garlett, Kennedy-Harris, Kent.

Not a bad list builder this Roos chap.

Well you and others were consistently told that he didn't have a pre-season last year, it's not a surprise.

Saw mentioned somewhere else, of our 22 on Friday, only 9 had pulled on the jumper before 2014 arrived:

Jones, McDonald, Howe, Garland, Watts, Dunn, Dawes, Jamar, Jetta

Players who played their first game for us since Roosy came in:
Vince, Vandenburg, Newton, Michie, Tyson, Cross, Lumumba, Salem, Hogan, Brayshaw, Garlett, Kennedy-Harris, Kent.

Not a bad list builder this Roos chap.

13 players in Friday night had debuted under Roos and Petracca would make 14

Incredibly quick turnaround really

He does play well against the Tiges, he isn't the best midfielder in the league (he's still top 15 comfortably, pushing top 10) but god damn he is inspirational.

Few pieces of play summed us up, but I enjoyed when a Tigers player went to kick it off the ground and three other Tigers watched him, Newton just ripped it away, tapped it to Jones and he kicks a very important goal. Our skills still need work but gee the hunger our players have, credit to Roos for both recruiting the right type of players and also instilling the right attitude.
Definitely a real appetite for the contest, that was obvious to me , will serve you well , good,luck

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back