R4: Port v Hawthorn Review

Remove this Banner Ad

Great win, think we are still way too sloppy bringing the ball back out of defence by foot really need to tidy that up our backs were great in the one on one contests though.

Ok i have gathered my thoughts

I have a feeling we are prepping for the back end of the season

2-2 looks pretty good then to 0-4 which majority of teams would be on given our tough draw

The slog in perth then sydney and run and gun of roos and finally the top dog hawks

Thats right we just beat last years premiers i do not care how we did it or how it looked ...we did it upon the s**t storm draw we got dealt ..no gray no wines...backs to the walls stuff

this was a great win....

I know majority of you will give your votes to boak and ebert...

but spare a thought for our back 6....imo its all votes to each and everyone of them

bobby my best on ground closely followed by hombsch pittard broady...

Our back 6 won this for us...

79 i50s from the hawks...i will end it with that thought

Last edited:

the boys were absolutley shagged in the final qtr. not in one game so far this year have we displayed our customary fitness. im hoping its all part of the plan to have the boys firing in the second half of the season.

PS i stand corrected about ah chee being the sub. i thought he did some real nice stuff when he came on
His ability to stand up in tackles, get his hands free and deliver accurate handballs under immense pressure in a high stakes game is incredible.

He always looks cooked when he's running, terrible gate, but once he gets going he's hard to stop!

Carlile BOG for me
Has to be one of the back 6 they all had their moments but were strong all game.
Hombsch, Carlile, Jonas and Trengove were strong all game.
Pittard, Broadbent and Krakouer provided our run when the game was won plus defended quite well for the whole game.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

i know we won but i thought the unmpires did their best to keep them in the game. when it counted and the whistle blew, i immendiatley always knew it was a hawks free. but at times such as the monfries blatant free they were fast asleep. im not sure what the count was, prob even, but it was no way even in the trenches.

EDIT free kicks 20 port, hawks 16. but id love to see when and where they were.

What an absolutely blistering first half, unreal and no one saw that coming.

The Lobbe/Ryder tag team was just a taste of what's to come, can't wait to see them scare the life out of the rest of the competition for the remainder of the season.

Great win lads, great win.

Think we needed to start the last in a more positive, attacking frame of mind, but other than that, very happy with the game and all our players. Ecstatic even.

For anyone that says we didn't deserve it go and suck a fat one and go support a different team.

We beat Hawthorn the best team of the last how ever many years with our two best inside midfielders missing.

My favourite stat. Roughead 0 goals 1 behind.

This reminds me of the St. Kilda match at Etihad in 2013, except against quality opposition.

People seem to forget that, even during our dominant periods, we have been hopeless against an opposition who comes streamrolling back after we get out to a big early lead. We've always lost those matches in our AFL era. I never thought we'd lose this one tonight. I've never had more faith in the boys.

What concerns me is the amount of space through the middle of the ground and forward 50 we allow opposition players to get into particularly in last quarters. Last week against north and again this week..

Boak and Ebert had to carry so much without Wines and Gray, I'm not surprised we died at clearances late. Add Gray need week and Wines in 3 - 4 and that first half Lobbe / Ryder duo should cause havoc for many sides for whole games, not just a patch.

For the first time this year you can see what we're capable of when everything clicks. And it's beautiful.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back