R4: Port v Hawthorn Review

Remove this Banner Ad

Just a quick pop in and say congrats for the freat win.
And not sure if this is the right spot, but..
We came over for the 1st time, and it was a great experience, atmosphere was brilliant and wanted to say thanks to the great port supporters around us who made it fun.

At the end of April, we are 2/2, after playing the other 4 members of last years' top 5 and on the same premiership points as the reigning premiers who have played Geelong, Essendon, Bulldogs and us. Sets us up nicely for a top 4 finish.
Apparently the corporates have got those top 4 spots already sewn up.

I stand corrected about Ah Chee being the sub. i thought he did some real nice stuff when he came on

Ah Chee's first touch should have led to a goal. But a lot of the handball receives were dropped and this one was otherwise the player would have been running into an open goal.

yaVdXR.gif

A tale of two teams almost.

The first half team was incredible to watch, the second half team - putrid.

What has happened to our fitness? Have we won a last quarter?

70 odd forward 50 entries to mid 40's - worrying.

I have no idea where we are as a side at the moment.

So happy to win, so proud, but worried too. Something just isn't there at the moment. When it's good it's real good, when it's not it's really very bad.
WE just beat the reigning back to back premiers , we are 2/2 against the top 4 sides from last year.

We are not playing near our best for four quarters yet but we showed what we are capable of in the first quarter.

Just need to be cleaner and cooler under pressure .

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Should have passed the ball around for 20 minutes ala Terry Wallace's richmond against geelong a few years back.

Fabulous win though. The midfield stood up big time with huge games from Boak, Ebert, Hartlett, and Young.

Lobbe back in improves our side enormously. Ryder went nuts up forward and was fabulous in the ruck.

And our back 6. My goodness they are brilliant. Carlile and Pittard have stepped it up massively this year. Hombsch is ridiculously solid, Krak was daring, and Cobra is just incredible. Jonas is the icing on the cake.

PS Rat chamberlain can * off

It the hawks man...they were always going to comeback....

just like the dockers and sydney game....good teams just do it

Do you rate dockers any worse based on sydneys comeback?
Fully aware it's the hawks and much respect to what they've achieved, but were meant to be a contender. We did pretty well considering who was out, but we need to do better.

What was that free for when we were in attack 2 on 1? If anything the Hawthorn guy looked to push our player in the back. And that OOF from Young, well it did hit his foot and clear the line but he got a push square in the back to get him to fall on the ball.

But the worst was that throw to Langford. Hawk tackled and one arm pinned. Chucks it to Langford who fortunately kicks a behind.

Well, wasn't that an adventurous 3 hours? I'll need to watch the replay to be able to properly assess who our best players were and etc., because my mind is just messed up right now :D so many different emotions were experienced throughout that game!! What a win and what a great atmosphere!!

A few things though ... that first qtr was the best 30 mins we've played under Ken! Given we had no Ollie or Robbie and who we were playing against, just outstanding!! Destroyed them in every department. No to concerned with the 4th qtr die out, Hawthorn are an unbelievable side and they were always going to make a comeback. Great times don't lie down, and it so hard to stop the opposition when they get a run on in today's AFL. Same thing happened in the Freo vs Sydney game tonight! The boys have also had a brutal last 4 weeks, full of tough, fast games, so it is understandable.

Krak is most definitely best 22, so clean and silky, plus did some nice defensive work too. And the final thing, i find it hilarious how opposition supporters are saying that 2 weeks straight in-game injuries have helped us get the win, yet no mention of how we lost Carlile in Round 1 early in the 4th qtr! He was doing a good job on Pav, so it's no coincidence Pav then kicked 2 late goals which essentially won Freo that game. Gotta love those haters :rolleyes:

0-2, now 2-2. Bring on the Showdown!

Well what a great day.
I felt so pumped on the ride in. Nice eating in the city for the first time. Great first qtr performance. NTUA OK but I thought last game was louder. Carn people, yell it out. Voice lost. Stuffed. Let's give Phil's angels a thrashing next week.
Carn the bulldogs

Remove this Banner Ad

Back