Toast Garrick Ibbotson

Remove this Banner Ad

I really really hope Dawson doesn't just walk back into the team if the same back 6 are all fit.
I actually hope he does. I just don't know who to leave out. Dawson back in means Johnno doesn't have to play too tall anymore. We run a lot better with 3 genuine talls, and i think we get the ball out of our back 50 better when guys like Ibbo can concentrate more on running it out and not get outmarked by a giant (I know Ibbo can play tall)

I really really hope Dawson doesn't just walk back into the team if the same back 6 are all fit.

Johnsons best footy isn't when he's trying to lock someone down how ever. Dawson frees Johnson which improves our backline significantly.

It comes down to if the opposition have more than one strong marking forward that needs to be shutdown.

I actually hope he does. I just don't know who to leave out. Dawson back in means Johnno doesn't have to play too tall anymore. We run a lot better with 3 genuine talls, and i think we get the ball out of our back 50 better when guys like Ibbo can concentrate more on running it out and not get outmarked by a giant (I know Ibbo can play tall)

Beat me to it

Johnsons best footy isn't when he's trying to lock someone down how ever. Dawson frees Johnson which improves our backline significantly.

It comes down to if the opposition have more than one strong marking forward that needs to be shutdown.

Beat me to it

Johnno was badly exposed by Tippett at times tonight, reverting back to the three talls is an inevitability. Not sure who we take out though since they're all playing so well.

Nah I disagree, the bounce we have coming out of the backline is awesome. Johnson works off his key position player beautifully. I accept he'll lose a proportion of his 1 on 1 contests that Dawson wouldn't, but the freedom he gets working off a Tippett instead of a Gary Rohan is awesome.

Nah I disagree, the bounce we have coming out of the backline is awesome. Johnson works off his key position player beautifully. I accept he'll lose a proportion of his 1 on 1 contests that Dawson wouldn't, but the freedom he gets working off a Tippett instead of a Gary Rohan is awesome.

I actually thought he used his body under the high ball ball very well tonight, wasn't outmuscled by any means. He doesn't have Zac's closing speed though, Hawkins and Tippett have done him with ease when there was space to lead into. I want to see Jonno in a less accountable role.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Has come a long way since he was the perennial whipping boy. 18 disposals, 9 marks and the spoil that sealed the game. Excellent stuff Ibbo!

In truth that was a long time ago now. He's had his injury issues, but any time he's been able to get on the park, he's proved his worth. Always loved how he's a no-nonsense player too, doesn't give away silly free-kicks, doesn't get caught in head games etc, just plays the game to his strengths. My kind of footy player.

I actually thought he used his body under the high ball ball very well tonight, wasn't outmuscled by any means. He doesn't have Zac's closing speed though, Hawkins and Tippett have done him with ease when there was space to lead into. I want to see Jonno in a less accountable role.

Accountability is interesting though, are you more accountable against Tippett or Ben McGlynn. Once the ball hits the deck, Tippett is useless, he tries to chase, but the actual chance he's getting Johnson is slim. So on the rebound, Johnson is waltzing out of the backline under minimal (Tippett) pressure.

If Johnson is playing on McGlynn, he can sag off and intercept mark, but he's not waltzing out of the forward 50. McGlynn will chase, harass, work hard on the mark etc.

So I think bringing back Dawson will tighten us up defensively, but we won't move the ball out of the backline so easily and with such great precision. I'm not sure we need to improve defensively as much as we need to improve our rebound.

Accountability is interesting though, are you more accountable against Tippett or Ben McGlynn. Once the ball hits the deck, Tippett is useless, he tries to chase, but the actual chance he's getting Johnson is slim. So on the rebound, Johnson is waltzing out of the backline under minimal (Tippett) pressure.

If Johnson is playing on McGlynn, he can sag off and intercept mark, but he's not waltzing out of the forward 50. McGlynn will chase, harass, work hard on the mark etc.

So I think bringing back Dawson will tighten us up defensively, but we won't move the ball out of the backline so easily and with such great precision. I'm not sure we need to improve defensively as much as we need to improve our rebound.

Fair points and don't get me wrong either, I am more than satisfied with how our defence has performed this year. Zac is a lock to come in when fit though so it'll be interesting to see how much our rebounding is affected. Ibbo is essentially playing the same role MJ has had in recent years and is doing it brilliantly and that's why it's become such a pickle.

Fair points and don't get me wrong either, I am more than satisfied with how our defence has performed this year. Zac is a lock to come in when fit though so it'll be interesting to see how much our rebounding is affected. Ibbo is essentially playing the same role MJ has had in recent years and is doing it brilliantly and that's why it's become such a pickle.

I'm not certain he's a lock, I think he'll relieve McPharlin during this season at points. But I don't think he'll come straight in when fit.

Looks like he's over his shoulder problems, and the operation doesn't seem to have affected his marking at all – I think it was the same one that Fyfe had a few years ago that was meant to inhibit some of the rotation.

I used to think Garrick was a softie who was drafted for his athleticism rather than his football ability but he's proven me wrong on all accounts. He's crucial to our premiership aspirations.

He's probably played games as good as this one but I can't remember them.

His athleticism was a joy to watch. He just has to be within 15m of a contest and he gets to it in a flash, either closing the movement down or in the case of his match winning spoil, killing it.

I had a perfect view of the spoil that won us the game and he read it like a cheap comic book. I think this is where he's improved over the years. Early on, he was like Nic Nat, didn't have a clue about the game and how to read the play but now he's very good at it.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back