Autopsy Analysis vs. Sydney

Remove this Banner Ad

Yeah, Zac was OK.

It looked like he started playing more in the middle in the last quarter and though I don't think he picked up a heap of stats, he was a presence and did well enough. I'll have to take another look at the reply, but that was my feeling. He did quite well.

I reckon he is ahead of where he was and that is all you can hope for.

No luck about it IMO, your first half was first class and we were stuck in third gear. Fyfe and Hannebery were miles ahead of the rest tonight.

The game proved nothing beyond what i already knew - there is a split fart between the two sides and at least one will be playing this years GF.

Good luck for the rest of the season.
I did LOL that your Squillion dollar forwards were held to 1 goal 3 in a half of footy.

Amidst the wrist cutting, we are 4-0 and have a whole season in front of us to work out the kinks and stop the fadeouts.

We'll be ok
Yes, agree. Plenty to work on, but who isn't thrilled given our 4-0 start? We may not feel like we're miles ahead of Sydney, Port or the Hawks but we are ahead on the scoreboard.

Fyfe the really only strength in the midfield. Hill had one good quarter, Mundy turned it over a lot but got it a bit, Barlow and Neale hardly seen.

Really liked the efforts of our unsung players - Clancee, Clarke, Suban and deBoer.

Fyfe the really only strength in the midfield. Hill had one good quarter, Mundy turned it over a lot but got it a bit, Barlow and Neale hardly seen.

Really liked the efforts of our unsung players - Clancee, Clarke, Suban and deBoer.
Unbelievable game considering he most of the time had 4 swans hanging off him in packs and could still get it out. If only he could improve his set shot goal kicking... But hey another 3 brownlow votes.

One positive is that WA gets to save some water since Buddy doesn't have to hit the showers with the bath McPharlin gave him.

Edit: Also, Pav's dominating influence in the forward line will be truely missed when he retires. Just watching him take those big marks and kicking clutch goals in high pressure games is something really special.

Sydney are a quality side and I expected them to come back in the second half. Still, our effort wasn't there in that 3rd quarter. Probably the worst quarter in recent years. When they kicked first two goals of the last quarter I really thought we'll lose. Kudos to the players for arresting Sydney's momentum. It was a good win.

Also, Suban played very well in the first half, nearly gave him votes. However he's becoming as big a duck as Shuey or Selwood. I don't like it at all and if he keeps going he'll get seriously hurt one day.
in fairness, he doesn't have much of a neck...

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Anyone have the clearance numbers for after half time? That was appalling the ease in which Sydney were winning it out of the middle. We also need to fix up our decision making going forward. The number of times Mayne had Grundy on him and our midfielders were putting it on his head was ridiculous. the butchering of 2-3 goal attempts trying to be cute with some short passes inside 50 in the last quarter was frustrating as hell.

What were we doing with Lachie??
What was our common rail diesel clearance machine doing at half forward when we were getting spanked out of the middle??
I didn't get it.

I made the same comment at the game. Someone screwed the pooch there whether it was the players on the field or someone in the box.

Anyone have the clearance numbers for after half time? That was appalling the ease in which Sydney were winning it out of the middle. We also need to fix up our decision making going forward. The number of times Mayne had Grundy on him and our midfielders were putting it on his head was ridiculous. the butchering of 2-3 goal attempts trying to be cute with some short passes inside 50 in the last quarter was frustrating as hell.

I made the same comment at the game. Someone screwed the pooch there whether it was the players on the field or someone in the box.

Yeah, last quarter finishing has seemed like an Achilles hell for a while now. I think we tried the bolded because we've been burned in the past when taking potshots from 50 and we lament how our players never "lower their vision", but honestly I'd probably prefer them to back themselves in from that range or back in our now taller forward line to take a grab close to the square than try dinky 15-20 metre kicks in heavy congestion.

Tonight it wasn't even heavy congestion in the last quarter, Sydney had the entirety of their team save Franklin parked in our defensive 50, very difficult to pull off passes in those circumstances unless you're Hill or Walters; neither of whom got nearly enough of the footy in dangerous areas.

Johnson was running sore before the game but he has so much heart and kept going all night .
Hats off to Sydney the way they responded in the second half .
That was finals quality football and we got the job done .
RTB and his assistants have this team going in the right direction .
Muz has to start next week and I would be resting Johnson so that he is firing on all cylinders for the Essendon game .

Is it just me or is Barlow a bit off at the moment? Only got 11 possessions and was quiet last week too from memory.
Wouldn't worry too much about that. I traded him into my Fantasy team a few weeks ago.
Will trade him back out this week, so he should be right as rain from then on.

Anyone have the clearance numbers for after half time? That was appalling the ease in which Sydney were winning it out of the middle.

Atrocious. McVeigh especially was just dropping off the back and it spilled directly to him 3 or 4 times. Disgusting bounces and well done by Sydney getting that extra man off the back of the stoppages, or at least it seemed that way. Our ability to handball ourselves out of trouble in a contested area absolutely pales in the face of their ability to do the same thing. At least in the 2nd half.

What is the bet next time we play them Rohan starts instead of being sub and they play him and buddy high up on the HF line. Rohan killed us tonight with his size and speed when they got quick ball out of the middle.

What a game, just home from a big celebratory drink.
A draft steal at #20 and 9.8% more luck beat a draft steal at #18 and 9.8% more cash every time

Hi guys been a while...
Just watching Lyons presser and he was alluding to some of the guys having head colds.
Is that a possibility? maybe Barlow he was a little off.
Walters is not having the impact he usually does.
Looking forward to seeing the boys next week in Melbourne.
4 zip wow wee so good to be a freo supporter right now.
Loved the way the guys iced the game tonight. All class.

Hi guys been a while...
Just watching Lyons presser and he was alluding to some of the guys having head colds.
Is that a possibility? maybe Barlow he was a little off.
Walters is not having the impact he usually does.
Looking forward to seeing the boys next week in Melbourne.
4 zip wow wee so good to be a freo supporter right now.
Loved the way the guys iced the game tonight. All class.
Welcome back Ferntree Freo!
A cold would explain the down performances of a few. Question is ddo they get dropped for a bad performance for the return of players like Ballas, Sheridan, Crozier or Silvagni.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back