R4: Port v Hawthorn Review

Remove this Banner Ad

Top review Ant Bear, but from watching the telecast I'm pretty sure Cornes was on Mitchell all night? And absolutely pantsed him at that.
That's what he said. :D

Gonna sound harsh but I don't think Mitchell is up to AFL standard. Too many mistakes, can't kick over a jam tin and tackles don't stick. O'Shea and Moore are closer to best 22 than Mitchell.

Agree with O'Shea being more worthy of a spot but the problem is our backline is so stacked he can't really slot in unless it's on the wing, and I'm not sure if he's comfortable there.

Oh and as I posted in the game thread...8.2 in the first term is better than 3.7 in the prelim. We are developing the habit of starting fast against the Hawks.

Great to see rj kick the first goal. Got a great reception. Haven't read any posts yet but just want to say what a great win that was. Second half was tough viewing but was still a great win with some crucial outs. Ryder superb 2nite.

Agree with O'Shea being more worthy of a spot but the problem is our backline is so stacked he can't really slot in unless it's on the wing, and I'm not sure if he's comfortable there.

True, balance is required and the back six are locked in. Handy back up though. Krakouer defended well early on so there is some rotation through the backline.

What a day to remember! I'm not sure there would have been too many Port supporters out there who legitimately thought we would win tonight against an in form near full strength Hawthorn line up. This club just keeps finding ways to prove the doubters wrong, myself included. I didn't think we could do it without Ollie and Robbie but what a way to do it.

As we know it was a tale of two halves really. That first quarter, im still speechless. I don't know how to describe it. I said late last year that the first quarter vs Richmond in the final will go down as one of the all time great quarters of footy played by a Port Adelaide team. Well that was against a spent, average Richmond line up. We beat that quarter tonight in the first, coming up against a red hot Hawthorn line up. I doubt anyone in the ground expected what we saw in that first quarter. Incredible midfield work, great at the stoppages just getting the ball forward again and again, wonderful set up across half back and then the party time that was the forward line. It was Port Adelaide pr0n. No other way to describe it. To absolutely smash them in the middle whilst missing our two best inside midfielders, wonderful effort and wonderful leadership by the likes of Boak, Ebert & Cornes in there.

The second half, a lot of people being pretty critical of the way we played that second half. Hawthorn were always going to come back. They dont lose by big margins. They always find another gear and never give up. We were absolutely spent, you could see it at the ground. A lot of players were seriously struggling in that last quarter to raise a gallop, they'd put so much effort into getting into a match winning lead. I said on the podcast that Hawthorns pace was basically the number 1 thing I was concerned about and their pace tore us to shreds late. Smith, Duryea, Hill, Hartung were all up and about at the end there.

Our midfield struggled in the last quarter, but it just seemed that everything we tried to do, they had an answer for. Every knock went to them, every quick kick went to them, every blind handball forward went to them. Their structures were great. They allowed us to drop players into their forward 50 and they set up this wall of players across a 60m arc from goal that just become impossible to penetrate. Im not going to criticise what our players did under intense pressure. We stood up against the premier coming home like a steam train and held on to win. Magnificent effort.

Port Adelaide proud tonight.

Player Reviews
The Best

Carlile - Is in some sort of form right now. Roughead is a player that has caused the club issues in recent years. He had kicked 11 goals in his previous 2 matches against Port coming into tonights match. He kicked 7 goals last week. Bobby kept him to 4 kicks and 1 behind tonight. Almost all Roughead's disposals came when he was moved onto the ball. It was a masterful defensive display by Bobby. One of the best games of his career. Best on Ground and a magnificent start to the season.

Boak - With Wines and Gray out of the side, we needed our Captain to stand up tonight and take it on himself to provide the onfield leadership and motivation to get us over the line. He did this in spades tonight. We mentioned last week that his last quarter against the Roo's could have been the kick start his season needed and tonight he rightly won the Peter Badcoe Medal and put in a great display. His inside work was exactly what we needed without the bash and crash of Wines and Gray and he used the ball exceptionally well. A pure Captains performance. One to remember.

Ryder - Tonight we got to see our first glimpse of life with two genuine first class ruckmen and oh what a sight it was! Ryder was a star tonight in my opinion. Some great grabs up forward and two early goals really set the scene. Thought his ruckwork was fantastic and whilst not a heap of hitouts statistically, once again he seemed to know where to find our players with his taps. I look forward to seeing how this ruck duo continue to develop throughout the year and as we saw tonight, Ryder playing up forward can really stretch the opposition defence.

Young - Thought he played a ripper of a match. Kenny told him it was his time to stand up and make a name for himself last week and he delivered tonight as a pure inside midfielder. He is so strong over the ball, keeps his feet in the tackle and has the great ability to keep his arms free and dish off a handball. Snuck forward to kick a nice goal as well. This is the making of Aaron Young right here.

Pittard - Just continues to be a knightmare for opposition teams now. Has probably the most improved kick across the entire league and is now an absolutely rock solid, reliable player with or without the ball. He defends strongly, attacks hard and can hit targets with the ball. Thought he played a great defensive role on Rioli and his run across half back was super important. Just isn't putting a foot wrong at the moment.

The Rest
Hartlett - Unlucky not to be in the top 5. He had a ripping game through the midfield and dropping a little deeper as well. Very similar to his Showdown medal winning match of 2014. Just seemed to be in the right spots at the right times. That goal was unbelievable and when the crowd really lost control. People jumping over seats hugging people. Madness. And that celebration, or lack thereof. Love it!

Polec - 2nd year running he has run rings around Hawthorn at Adelaide Oval. Found the ball inside well and was just able to run and run and get the ball forward. Kicked a couple of great goals. His best game for the year and one of the best in his short career to date.

Ebert - An ultra reliable, no frills performance by Brad. Was there when we needed him but didnt stand out like some of the other midfielders did. Provided great leadership on the ground and plenty of defensive pressure.

Mitchell - Thought he was good again, just like last week. Wish he had have kicked that goal in the third, but he made up for it with a great tackle moments later. Kicking was erratic late in the game but his first half was great. Strong running with purpose and gets into great position with the ball. I like him in the side right now.

Westhoff - Couple of goals but I thought it was his defensive work that was most important tonight. Had a big last quarter dropping back in their 50 and provided some much needed last line marking.

Krakouer - Had a really strong first half and whilst he fell out of the game a bit as it went on, there was a lot to like. Maybe some thoughtless kicking at times, but overall defensively he has become a super strong player and was doing a good job on Puopolo in the first half.

Lobbe - Welcome back Lobster. Nice tap work, strong around the ground and we saw his trademark second efforts at the stoppages. Even took a couple of strong grabs.

Wingard - His first half was party time stuff. Was brilliant playing further up the ground in the midfield and he once again proved he can be a great midfielder when allowed to play there. Wonderful first goal. Had a massive corky just on half time that he couldnt get over in the second half. Limping a lot. His influence dropped accordingly.

Broadbent - At times he was great, at other times he was frustrating with some blind kicks forward. Seemed to be one player that struggled with the heat in the last quarter.

Schulz - His laser kicking was on again tonight. Started with a great goal from a tight angle and didnt let up. Not heaps of the ball, but presented well all night and 5 goals was fantastic output from the touches he got.

White - Tried so hard to get his run going but against such a quick side he found it hard to really break away. Ran his guts out though.

Monfries - Very quiet. Barely saw him out there.

Cornes - The best of Kane once again. Tagged Mitchell and did a wonderful job, especially in the first half when he kept Sam to just 4 disposals. Someone that is so dangerous and that has torn us apart previously, Kane's was a very crucial role in our win. Still has it!

Hombsch - Once again was very good at times but his opponent kicked 3 and had a very dangerous second half. Was all over Gunston early, but thought Jack got away from him a bit after half time. Having said that, I thought Hombsch did a great job in coming in as the 3rd man up and killing a number of contests.

Jonas - Breust is another of their forwards that we have had issues with in the past, but Jonas seems to know how to play him. Kept right on him and didnt allow him much space at all. Got a gimme goal in the goal square in the last quarter and that was the only impact he had all night.

Trengove - Spent time on McEvoy and Gunston. Very solid defensively, didnt give anything away at all without having too much to do himself.

AhChee - Again i thought he came on and had an important cameo. Lovely couple of clearances including his first touch, and had a ripping important tackle in the last couple of minues on the members wing. Hope we get to see him play a full game in the future.

POTY Votes
9 - Carlile, Boak
8 - Ryder, Young, Cornes, Pittard, Hartlett
7 - Polec, Jonas, Schulz
6 - Ebert, Mitchell, Westhoff, Krakouer, Wingard
5 - Trengove, Hombsch, Lobbe
3 - White, Broadbent
2 - AhChee, Monfries

I really like Cam, but taken as a whole his season thus far (preseason, Magpies) would be lucky to rate a 4 out of 10.

Needs to raise his game a few levels if he wants to get back in.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

God that was fun, just felt like the 2013 season tonight where we had nothing to lose and we just had to have a crack. We were the hunter tonight, underdogs and we just came out with no fear. Most enjoyable half of footy for a long time. Well done boys you are a special group.

A gutsy win by the boys after a very hard month of footy.

To all the doomsayers who didn't think we had a chance after losing Ollie and Robbie I look forward to seeing your apologies for doubting we could win in this thread please.

TBH, I had my doubts about this game before Robbie dropping out. I am not going to apologise because 1 qtr of footy is not enough, we were lucky to win that and when things click and ball bounces our way it can make any team look average.

Still way too hyper on adrenaline and lack of sleep to make sense but that was absolutely brilliant. Totally Port Adelaide proud this morning. Maybe the best H & A win of the Hinkley era?

Ken's best win was in 2013 at AAMI against the cows..... that bounce..... coming a close second is the QF2013 against Richmond.....

Hawthorn's time wasting after free kicks needs to be stamped out. Blatantly obvious and the umpires don't do a thing about it.

Even when Westhoff had been paid a 50m penalty, Lewis was basically walking in front of Westhoff so that the Hawthorn players could flood back before Westhoff was at the mark.

Pisses me off to no end.

I noticed that too, so what's stopping Hoff from trying to over take Lewis to the mark or runs past Lewis to the mark to give it off. Or would that be playing on even if he doesn't stray of the line.

I want to see us play with full control of the game, that's when I will be happy camper. Hawthorn was always going to respond but its how we absorb the pressure. The Hawks missed some set shot on goals which could have been all the difference tonight.

I want to see us control a game from go to woe. We finished the game in front with just enough fuel in the tank.

To be top notch and a REAL premiership contender we needed to kick more goals in the second half than we did tonight....

My Best:

The BACK six, plus Hoff, Wingard, Mitchell, Schulz (thank god he got his accuracy back), Ebert, Lobbe and of course the Badcoe medallist, el captinano......

Best goal tonight was the first, he loves to seel candy cause he left three to four players behind in all that 1 meter space...... boy oh boy, Wow wee...

Congrats on the win over Hawthorn - impressive stuff. I saw the third Q until it was 62-10 and figured the Hawks were done for - I was surprised to see how close the score was at the end. I guess you can never count out the premiers.

I absolutely love the fan support Port gets - it must be fantastic to be one of the 50,000 at Adelaide Oval. Would love to see a game there one day.

Good win!

To beat hawthorns precise keepies off football, you have to apply manic pressure and take your chances. We did that for the first half... And we did it bloody well. The problem with manic pressure is that it's difficult to maintain, especially with interrupted preseasons, underdone players and three tough, bruising previous matches. To the hawthorn supporters grumbling about taking away the first 10 minutes, you need to realise that we've developed a way to beat your game plan. You had no answer to our football until we began to tire. We couldn't maintain the intensity and then hawthorn got on top, played the game on their terms, structured up and we had no answers. I fear this will be the same for our next few encounters with the Hawks. Games of swinging momentum. We have the game to beat them, but we can't maintain it for full games, or going on the last two matches, more the Han 2 quarters. We played the match tonight like the racehorse that goes hard at the beginning and then holds on for dear life once the tickets are spent. Thank god our racehorse has a lot of ticker and we were able to hold on. What a win under the circumstances and we'll be stronger for it. Watch out hawthorn if we can get fitter and stronger and be able to maintain that pressure and intensity for more than 2 quarters!

To beat hawthorns precise keepies off football, you have to apply manic pressure and take your chances. We did that for the first half... And we did it bloody well. The problem with manic pressure is that it's difficult to maintain, especially with interrupted preseasons, underdone players and three tough, bruising previous matches. To the hawthorn supporters grumbling about taking away the first 10 minutes, you need to realise that we've developed a way to beat your game plan. You had no answer to our football until we began to tire. We couldn't maintain the intensity and then hawthorn got on top, played the game on their terms, structured up and we had no answers. I fear this will be the same for our next few encounters with the Hawks. Games of swinging momentum. We have the game to beat them, but we can't maintain it for full games, or going on the last two matches, more the Han 2 quarters. We played the match tonight like the racehorse that goes hard at the beginning and then holds on for dear life once the tickets are spent. Thank god our racehorse has a lot of ticker and we were able to hold on. What a win under the circumstances and we'll be stronger for it. Watch out hawthorn if we can get fitter and stronger and be able to maintain that pressure and intensity for more than 2 quarters!
So basically, the cleaner

Boy, can we cut teams to pieces when we're 'on' including the very best in the comp. And isn't the footbal exciting to watch.No wonder our games achieve such high TV ratings. I heard last year that the AFL was keen to give us more prime-time spots for that very reason.

But real credit to Hawthorn. They're not last year's premier and premiership favourites this year for nothing. An amazing last quarter performance where time and time again they kicked easy goals despite the numbers we had behind the ball.

Both clubs dominated one quarter and the other two quarters I thought were relatively even. We should have gone into the last quarter with a larger buffer had Polec not missed a gettable goal after the three quarter-time siren.

Port and Hawthorn are developing quite a nice little rivalry. If the clubs keep serving up games like that, that rivalry will only continue to grow.

Last edited:

Remove this Banner Ad

Back