Scandal Alastair Clarkson whacking port fan

No, he 100% is not... that is clear in every single sport in the world.

He is a professional sportsman/coach. This would happen multiple times every single game, to every single sportsman in the world. Unless the player had physically jumped the fence and had made physical contact, there is absolutely no reason where it is justifiable for him to respond physically, and even in that case it would require restraint.

It sounds like it was only a push - and if thats the case, then I'm not saying he deserves any serious punishment, but at least a talking to from the AFL and an apology from Clarko are both in order. (while the fan should also be reprimanded if he was going beyond what is reasonably expected of a fan).
Plz go watch the video and stop embarrassing yourself.

What you are saying is 100% correct but you will understand where everyone is coming from when you see it.

milhouse1

All Australian
Jun 25, 2013
Melbourne
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
San Diego Padres

He is a professional sportsman/coach. This would happen multiple times every single game, to every single sportsman in the world. Unless the fan had physically jumped the fence and had made physical contact, there is absolutely no reason where it is justifiable for him to respond physically, and even in that case it would require restraint.

It sounds like it was only a push - and if thats the case, then I'm not saying he deserves any serious punishment, but at least a talking to from the AFL and an apology from Clarko are both in order. (while the fan should also be reprimanded if he was going beyond what is reasonably expected of a fan).

Just to be clear it wasn't on the ground - I'm guessing it might have been half hour or so after the game and Clarkson was walking in some concourse-type area. I certainly think he was within his rights to shove the guy as he was right up into him

I haven't seen it, but I'm told the fan was politely clapping and discussing the game with those around him, while holding his infant child, and Clarkson ran up behind him and broke his jaw.
I heard he went into a restaurant and ate all the food in the restaurant and they had to close the restaurant.

TooFar

Club Legend
Sep 4, 2003
Melbourne
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Les_Canadiens Philadelphia_Eagles
Oh look an Adelaide fan posting negative about Port, that's new :$

Atleast we didn't piss on an opposition coach like someone's fans did :$
Jeez mate calm down. It was the first story on the channel 7 footy show.

it was very ordinary behavoir from the Port fan, hard to defend... unless it was you.

didaksrightfoot

Premiership Player
Sep 12, 2013
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
SA Spurs, Juventus
Watch the video mate.

got a link?
It's not on the AFL website or on youtube, and Perth is a couple of hours behind on the tv shows.

I'm not saying Clarko needs to be punished if all it was a push, but there needs to at least be an acknowledgement from him and the AFL that he shouldn't be making any physical contact with a fan (while the fan should also be reprimanded)

Herne Hill Hammer

Cancelled
10k Posts
Jun 22, 2008
AFL Club
Geelong

He is a professional sportsman/coach. This would happen multiple times every single game, to every single sportsman in the world. Unless the fan had physically jumped the fence and had made physical contact, there is absolutely no reason where it is justifiable for him to respond physically, and even in that case it would require restraint.

There absolutely is.

Again, I am one that hasn't seen the vision but in any court of law, if a person is invading your personal space and abusing / threatening you
aggressively, you are well within your rights to be physical as long as it is proportionate. A push to give yourself space from the threat is more than justified.

Sep 22, 2000
Calling Wambulances for the Geelong whiners
AFL Club
Geelong
Other Teams
Ford
Clarkson is an angry elf

he-s-an-angry-elf-o.gif
tumblr_mqr595XfQw1rs96n4o1_400.gif

got a link?
It's not on the AFL website or on youtube, and Perth is a couple of hours behind on the tv shows.

I'm not saying Clarko needs to be punished if all it was a push, but there needs to at least be an acknowledgement from him and the AFL that he shouldn't be making any physical contact with a fan (while the fan should also be reprimanded)
It was on 7s game day, was a bloke filming himself with his phone following clarko going how was the win, hey clarko how was that win then ran right into him face to face and screamed POOOOOORT! clarko then grab and pushed his chest out of his face so he could keep walkiing away.

The game day cast said the same thing everyone on here is. Lucky he didnt get whaked.

milhouse1

All Australian
Jun 25, 2013
Melbourne
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
San Diego Padres
got a link?

I haven't seen a link online yet. I was trying to be careful in describing it- I think it is somewhere between a push and a hit - having only seen it once on tv I think he used his left arm to shove the guy with an open hand who was on his right, so that fact that he had to swing his arm around at him made it look a bit worse- but I still think totally justifiable in the situation.

I have yes the port flog crossed the line. But clarko needed to take a deep breath and take it. Any reaction was going to draw publicity.
Should never have been put in that situation but agreed would of been nice to see clarko just take the abuse.

anthc

Club Legend
Apr 30, 2008
adelaide
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
adelaide united
got a link?

Piss of everyone has a right to defend themself if feeling threatened

milhouse1

All Australian
Jun 25, 2013
Melbourne
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
San Diego Padres
Seb Costello‏@SebCostello9 8m8 minutes ago

Al Clarkson video. Was the "victim" trying to agitate Him? Yes.
Did Clarkson swing a fist at the "victim" and grab at his throat? Yes.

Tweeted by nine reporter- not my recollection of it (I didn't think he used a fist or grabbed throat) but I've only seen it once on tv.

Portsmeff

All Australian
Aug 13, 2009
Adelaide
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Other Teams
Port Adl Magpies, Everton
I gotta admit, the security at AO seem only interested in checking peoples bags to make sure no alcohol gets in to protect their $, other than that they are a waste of time and don't appear to be around when there is any scuffles just outside the ground. I also admit the big crowds we are getting also bring out a few pissed dickheads to our games

Jul 25, 2008
The Linc
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
Oakland Raiders
I haven't seen the video, but are people seriously defending a coach hitting a fan?

Obviously security needs to be better, the fan needs to be reprimanded etc.... but there is no way Clarko should get off scott free for making physical contact with a fan - it is a complete no go area. (and admittedly I haven't seen the video, but even if it is just a push he deserves a word from the AFL, but anything more and there must be some sort of response).

Track down the video before commenting next time.

Idiot fan filmed the thing expecting Clarko to react and sold the footage to 7 and 9. Scum of the earth, to paraphrase clarkson, a '********'.

Edit: Stuart fox claiming this happened at the hotel well after the game, wouldn't be surprised if the fan tracked where hawthorn was staying, and premeditated the incident well in advance

Last edited:
Oct 14, 2011
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Seb Costello‏@SebCostello9 8m8 minutes ago

Al Clarkson video. Was the "victim" trying to agitate Him? Yes.
Did Clarkson swing a fist at the "victim" and grab at his throat? Yes.

Tweeted by nine reporter- not my recollection of it (I didn't think he used a fist or grabbed throat) but I've only seen it once on tv.
The friend of the drunk dickhead said Clarko Grabbed his throat and punched him in the face, just a sad bunch of losers trying to sell a story.

Back