Scandal Alastair Clarkson whacking port fan

Remove this Banner Ad

Some people may have kept walking and a very large majority would have done the same as Clarko.

Those past incidents, some of which have also been over blown, are completely irrelevant to him doing what was well within his rights here.
The problem is that Clarkson didn't know what he was dealing with.

For all he knew, the bloke could have been able to handle himself, was itching for a fight and was trying to provoke Clarkson into one.

Better to walk away. Although I can understand him reacting the way he did.

If a drunk bloke followed me and a group of friends or work colleagues, screamed at me and the group incessantly, was told to move on but didn't, was then lightly pushed to indicate it was getting serious, then continued to scream 1cm from my face at me, he gets whacked. I defy anyone to say they'd politely ignore it.

Are people really defending Clarko's hit because the bloke was a dickhead?

Clarkson is an embarrassment & has been for a long time.

Obviously a very good coach but equally as obvious is he has psychological issues.

Prior issues needn't even be raised in this case. I'd love to see how you'd cope with a complete stranger following you home after the 2010 grand final loss, invading your personal space and screaming in your ear after being pushed away/warned already.

Easy enough for social justice warriors to sit behind keyboards and talk about how easy it would be to handle a situation like that differently.

No. It's obviously not appropriate or respectful towards Clarkson, anyone can see that.
But the real issue here is was Clarkson's response appropriate? Could it have been handled better?

It's not the real issue at all but to respond to your question - probably. Five more metres and he would of been away from it and from what I can gather had already put up with it for quite a while but I'm not sure what else he could of done in the end other than to push him away.

The reason you would never protect your self or family from potential harm is that you would be so bloody scared. Cowards like you who get on their high horse do so to give them selves an out of being s**t scared cowards. Being Anzac day weekend and protecting yourself your family and your country... I recon you would be shot for treason or being AWOL.

Please don't associate your 'angry little manlet of a coach' assaulting someone, with the brave ANZACs

Been watching footy long? Recken Ross Lyon, Mick Malthouse,Brad Scott Or any of the other 14 coaches, put in Clarksons position, would allow this drunken subhuman to invade their personal space in such an intrusive way and not react? What an idiotic notion. That moron got off lightly in my view.
Not with a camera on them though. As I said, Clarkson = idiot.

Having seen the footage now, I reckon it's more cowardly to hit a bloke for a petty reason. A shove would have sufficed. People with your attitude are why people end up with brain injuries due to unnecessary punches.

You mean the selected footage edited by the group provoking and threatening Clarkson? There is a 1 minute build up that was explained on the radio by a witness being the Hawthorn CEO. Itb was a group of pissed blokes provoking for more that just the footage. Clarkson was walking on his way, these clowns followed him, then finally the guy got right up and lent into to and screamed in his ear..... I would be threatened by this as well

The Power fan was being a tosser but let's not pretend the real problem here isn't Clarko's anger management issues. The guy has no self control and acts like a child when he's angry. The Hawthorn staff with him should have done a better job of protecting him knowing how he is.

I bet most if not all of the other coaches in the league would have handled that better

Yeah sure, I cam just picture Chris Scott asking the bloke to keep it down thank you very much,

Here is a pro tip, if the tosser wasn't acting like a tosser there is no incident.

Stop blaming Clarko and put the responsibility where it belongs, on the agitator.

If he did that to a security guard or a copper I imagine he would be regretting it today.

Prior issues needn't even be raised in this case. I'd love to see how you'd cope with a complete stranger following you home after the 2010 grand final loss, invading your personal space and screaming in your ear after being pushed away/warned already.
I can tell you one thing, I wouldn't king hit the idiot.

FWIW, I spent the night after the 97 GF with 20-odd Crows supporters. As obnoxious as most proved to be, I didn't ever once come close to belting one when they weren't looking.

Clarkson hasn't changed one iota from his playing days - a coward with anger management issues.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

No. It's obviously not appropriate or respectful towards Clarkson, anyone can see that.
But the real issue here is was Clarkson's response appropriate? Could it have been handled better?
Anyone who has a problem with Clarksons response has a problem with Clarkson. He has never been everyone's cup of tea and those like you asking "Could it have been handled better" simply reveal yourself to be in the anti Clarko camp. Petty really. His response was light on in my view.

Clearer footage of the incident has just been made public...
crazy-funny-gifs-groundhog-day-punch.gif

It's only as normal as it is to punch holes in walls, abuse underage umpires, repeatedly go on vicious tirades against journos when you think the camera is off etc. etc.

If you're Clarko it's totally normal. I'm just saying most people would have handled it better, are you saying it was impossible for anyone to have handled that without getting physical?
It was a 19 year old official, not an underage umpire.

I can tell you one thing, I wouldn't king hit the idiot.

FWIW, I spent the night after the 97 GF with 20-odd Crows supporters. As obnoxious as most proved to be, I didn't ever once come close to belting one when they weren't looking.

Clarkson hasn't changed one iota from his playing days - a coward with anger management issues.

Your opinion on this matter is clearly jaded due to his past offences. I'd also suggest that if someone is literally goading you into punching them or harming them, what Clarko did does not constitute a king hit. I'm not saying what he did was necessarily right or just, but it wasn't wrong either. Completely within his rights to react in the way he did.

But we're never going to agree on this, so I will respectfully agree to disagree with you and be done with it.

Anyone who has a problem with Clarksons response has a problem with Clarkson. He has never been everyone's cup of tea and those like you asking "Could it have been handled better" simply reveal yourself to be in the anti Clarko camp. Petty really. His response was light on in my view.

Clarkson can't really complain to his players if they give away a stupid 50 metre penalty as a result of being baited by an opposition player into doing something stupid.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back