R4: Port v Hawthorn Review

Remove this Banner Ad

Did anyone else see Hodge's attempted punch to Jonas' face? Was in the third term I think, on the north-west wing in front of where I was sitting. Very dirty move from Hodge!

Interesting to see if the MRP pick it up.
Yes I did got up and started yelling at him which was funny cause I was sitting right next to the cheer squad and not one of them said anything dirty prick he is. But he won't get anything its hodgy

I think BT is piss funny. Sorry but I'm constantly giggling....
I watched the game again this afternoon and with about 2 minutes to go in the second quarter Bobby comes running off the back of the square with the ball and I pretty sure BT calls him "Chaplin". o_O

I recall the comment about the guy with the beer coming down to cheer on Paddy. I'll have to go back and have a look.

Just watched the last quarter again and we really were very good defensively in that last quarter. Given the barrage our backline was facing, the amount of work that Bobby, Hombsch, Broady, Pittard did to stop the onslaught was fantastic.

Just watched the last quarter again and we really were very good defensively in that last quarter. Given the barrage our backline was facing, the amount of work that Bobby, Hombsch, Broady, Pittard did to stop the onslaught was fantastic.

Yes, but could they do it on a cold rainy night in Stoke?

I wonder how we fix it when we get dominated like we were in that last quarter . We just couldn't get first hands on the ball .
I guess that's where we missed Ollie and Robbie Gray . .
In hindsight without them and Polec and Wingard slowed down , White appearing winged and the hard running game against North probably contributed to us being almost swallowed up in the end .
Luckily the defence was magnificent . A brilliant blend of skill , strength and flair . I like the Jatz Krakoer too , the way he runs straight and decisive , no mucking around thinking , he just does it .
Mitchell ; , I normally don't rate him best 22 but he was quite good I must admit and one can't deny his work rate , for all that running he doesn't actually get much achieved in my book , I guess he does pressure acts and he did lay some tackles last night .
If he had've nailed his 2nd goal last night he probably would've been just outside the best players .
Shulzy ; he did worry me a tad last week that he may be trying to milk frees but last night from the timing of his bump on Lake to take his first mark and subsequent beautiful kick he was all class , I like the way he can be included in an attacking play to and move the ball on .
Carlile : Yea baby , very strong and like Krakoer decisive when rebounding . : see also Hombsch .
Great to see Lobbe back with his intensity , I'd expect him to improve also , hopefully he can impact on the scoreboard when it's his turn up forward . Ryder certainly looks the part having a rest up there .
Anyway bedtime , up early , enough revelling in a good win , pleasant thoughts still drifting off to sleep and tomorrow ; start thinking about next week .

http://www.news.com.au/sport/afl/af...r-all-out-attack/story-fndv8s6g-1227321782911
After a 0-2 start, Port Adelaide could have gone into its shell but instead went for all-out attack
WHEN Port Adelaide finally breathed a collective sigh of relief late on Saturday night they would have left Adelaide Oval very happy.

A fortnight ago at 0-2 the Power could have reached for the panic button - made wholesale changes and gone away from their game plan - and externally some were pushing it for them.
But instead the Power reached for the on-switch and now to be 2-all having beaten North Melbourne and Hawthorn is a good result.
“We sit here really pleased about being able to win this game of football, there’s no doubt about that,” coach Ken Hinkley said.
“And the significance of it to put us two and two.
More .....
http://www.news.com.au/sport/afl/af...r-all-out-attack/story-fndv8s6g-1227321782911

How awesome were the Power chants in the first half?

I was getting goosebumps. I reckon the pressure we (the players and fans) put on Hawthorn made them miss a few shots at goal.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

The amount of fatigue relate skill errors in that quarter had me worried. Even on the few occasions when we had time and no pressure we struggled to hit targets and at times even struggle to execute a drop punt. However you have to love it because you know it means they've given their all and left nothing in the tank.

Back 6 were huge and barely lost a one on one all night. Westhoff played a big part too in the last. I thought playing him loose at the back made it harder to get out of our defensive 50 but given we were in front it was fair enough.

Great night and an awesome feeling to be level with the Hawks at 2-2 especially given we've had a tougher start to the year. If we were able to pick off a couple more goals on the counter in the 2nd half that would have been the cherry on the cake.

Hopefully a light one on the track this week to freshen up a bit. First qtr next week should be interesting.

I'm in Labuan, Malaysia now with my cousin and his wife; ready to tomorrow visit the grave of my uncle who was killed fighting here in WWII. This after we went to the ANZAC Day ceremony at Sandakan yesterday. The point being that this morning we logged in to check the footy news and when I saw the result I was whooping and punching the air with delight in the middle of the Cafe de Sweet Dreams at Sandakan Airport.
I excused myself to the Malaysians around me by saying "My football team won." It's a univeral language.

http://tinyurl.com/o4pbtxh

Chris McDermott rates each Power player after Round 4
1.T. Boak — Dominated stoppage in the first quarter to set the standard for his team to follow. The sight of him as the final siren sounded said it all about this win.......8
2. K. Mitchell —
Struggled to make an impression early but had some good moments as game wore on........5
4. P. Ryder —
Big goal early as he begins to look more and more comfortable in this team. Gave his midfield an arm chair ride in first half and the goals came at a rapid rate......7
5. M. Broadbent —
Powerful leg, again a weapon and very creative out of defence........7
6. A Monfries —
Missed out on the first quarter feast and continued to struggle most of the night........4
7. B. Ebert —
Led the first quarter onslaught with 10 touches. Quietened down as game wore on and appeared to tire like several in the midfield........6
8. H. Hartlett —
Another to dine out in the first term with arguably the goal of the night from outside 50m. But also another to appear to tire. His work when the ball was in opposition hands went unrecognised but was first class........7
12. J. Trengove —
Solid as always but didn’t raise a sweat in first half. Stuck to his task in the second when massively under the pump......7
18. K. Cornes —
Had the job on Sam Mitchell and held him to just two touches at half-time. Courageous effort from the veteran........7
19. M. White —
Quiet in first half and missed out as others cashed in. Not much better in the second and looked out on his feet when he couldn’t chase late in the game........5
20. C. Wingard —
Not back to his brilliant best but as close as he’s looked this year. Brilliant start to ignite his team, but like many others he went missing after halftime.....7
21. J. Polec —
His running power has returned. A monster goal in second term was the highlight of his solid night.....6
23. M. Lobbe —
Returned with a bang and a big part of the Power’s blitz. Laid a big tackle late in the game that might have just saved his team........6
27. A. Carlile —
Largely responsible for the job done on Roughead to hold him goal-less. Then stepped it up a notch further in last term with some telling touches and a couple of crucial intercepts...........7
28 J. Schulz —
Set up his night and the Power’s win with three first quarter goals. Officially the best set shot for goal in the game with five majors from just six kicks...........8
29. J. Pittard —
Starting to look like a part of the furniture. Had time on Gunston and Rioli over the night with good effect and game. Some good drive too.....6
36. J. Hombsch —
With Carlile and Trengove largely untroubled early, held the Hawks tall forwards of Roughead, Gunston and co all night........6
39. J. Westhoff —
Quiet early then went back after half-time and made some telling saves at the death. Mr Versatility proving his value once again........6
40. A. Young —
Has officially arrived as a quality AFL player. Stoppage work has improved out of sight. Late take on Sam Mitchell a beauty and eight score involvements a team high.......7
42. T. Jonas —
Solid as usual and a couple of his physical attacks on the opposition kept them wary of his presence.....6
44. B. Ah Chee —
In the role as sub you can only do what you can in limited time and once again had two important touches when team was under siege.........3
48. N. Krakouer —
May prove to be the competitions find of the season. Using it well and very creative across half-back. Defensive skills have improved out of sight..........6

http://tinyurl.com/o4pbtxh

how nice it is to come into monday and admit to a couple people i was W-WWWWrong!
Thought we were dead in the water without Wines and grey!
But geez young and hartlett stood up. Hard to believe young couldnt get a game....

Polec and White still carrying there injuries. hopefully both can get up. even if whites a sub.

How BADLY UNDERRATED is our backline!? and backline depth!! I dont get what the media cant see! fast becoming laughable!

Remove this Banner Ad

Back